Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
blerg

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby blerg » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:28 pm

ALL OF MY EXAMS ARE CLOSED BOOK.

:(

Advice?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:33 pm

Start memorizing.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:43 pm

blerg wrote:ALL OF MY EXAMS ARE CLOSED BOOK.

Advice?

Targeted memorization. You need to know stuff, but use previous exams as your guide: make sure you know your prof's habitual tendencies.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:44 pm

kalvano wrote:Start memorizing.

Pay attention.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:45 pm

Thirteen wrote:

Pay attention.

I paid attention to you. This is boring and won't be on the exam.

Also, stop spying on me. It's creepy.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:50 pm

Also, unlimited Lexis / Westlaw access and free printing is awesome. I think I basically printed out the entire Lexis database.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:58 pm

kalvano wrote:Also, unlimited Lexis / Westlaw access and free printing is awesome. I think I basically printed out the entire Lexis database.

free printing is amazing!!!

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:01 pm

kalvano wrote:
Thirteen wrote:

Pay attention.

I paid attention to you. This is boring and won't be on the exam.

Also, stop spying on me. It's creepy.

Yep, I'm glad that the Akin people told us Erie doesn't matter. Perfect timing.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:03 pm

Although I do wonder how you can have a Civ Pro exam that includes jurisdiction that DOESN'T FREAKING INCLUDE ERIE.

goosey

Postby goosey » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:24 pm

GeePee wrote:

Advice?

Targeted memorization. You need to know stuff, but use previous exams as your guide: make sure you know your prof's habitual tendencies.

i stumbled upon something today that appears to be gold---I read sections in the hornbook, then read my outline, and then I just sat infront of word and typed up everything about negligence--like EVERYTHING--as if I were explaining it to someone. worked wonderfully, because I feel like I know the law cold now, with very little "memorizing" involved

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:22 pm

Been having a beer or two every day after I get home around 6. Only way I can stay sane sometimes with these long ass days.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:09 am

Doing sample exams and outlining makes me feel like I know nothing. Outlining helps me for some courses, but, for Crim, which is a class I thought I got, I had such a hard time outlining, I thought I might know considerably less than I thought I did. Now I'm just freaked out. I feel no desire whatsoever to be top of my class... but, being near the bottom would just plain suck.

stocksly33

Postby stocksly33 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:07 am

goosey wrote:i stumbled upon something today that appears to be gold---I read sections in the hornbook, then read my outline, and then I just sat infront of word and typed up everything about negligence--like EVERYTHING--as if I were explaining it to someone. worked wonderfully, because I feel like I know the law cold now, with very little "memorizing" involved

this sounds like a good idea... altho i bet you need to memorize a certain amount first (like there' a lot of UCC and particulars to memorize in Ks). how long did it take you to write it out?

stocksly33

Postby stocksly33 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:16 am

GeePee wrote:

Advice?

yeah, and i'm trying to memorize the broader stuff now... and save the details for 2 weeks before exams. trying to cram all the particulars in my head just long enough to spew them out

like for civ pro... i'm memorizing all the methods of pleadings/discovery, how they work, and their exeptions... i'll memorize the deadlines to file things and # limits on interrogatories and the like later.
Last edited by stocksly33 on Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

stocksly33

Postby stocksly33 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:17 am

my biggest challenge is balancing memorizing with hypos/practice tests.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:19 am

eandy wrote:BF broke up with me less than a week before the memo is due and 3 weeks before exams.

I am the poster child for 1L relationship fail.

you'll live

solotee

Postby solotee » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:13 am

stocksly33 wrote:

my biggest challenge is balancing memorizing with hypos/practice tests.

You can do both at the same time. The rules you use to solve the hypo are ingrained in your brain after actually applying it. Especially if you miss something crucial on the hypo, that shit becomes a part of you.

goosey

Postby goosey » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:30 am

stocksly33 wrote:
goosey wrote:i stumbled upon something today that appears to be gold---I read sections in the hornbook, then read my outline, and then I just sat infront of word and typed up everything about negligence--like EVERYTHING--as if I were explaining it to someone. worked wonderfully, because I feel like I know the law cold now, with very little "memorizing" involved

this sounds like a good idea... altho i bet you need to memorize a certain amount first (like there' a lot of UCC and particulars to memorize in Ks). how long did it take you to write it out?

Well I worked for about 5 hrs yesterday..that time consisted of re-reading a little bit of the casebook, reading my outline/fixing my outline, reading the hornbook and writing blurbs---i pretty much have everything down other than the limited duty rules (no recovery for purely economic loss, neg infliction of emotional distress, etc) because I didn't get to it yet, so..I would say roughly 6 hrs for something like negligence. Intentional Torts would probably take 4...seems like a lot but then I'd assume one could learn their entire course in about 30 hrs of studying

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:22 am

eandy wrote:BF broke up with me less than a week before the memo is due and 3 weeks before exams.

This is why you don't start a relationship 1L year. Or if you do, you gotta make some sort of agreement with the person not to create drama leading up to finals. I have a friend here who made an agreement with her girlfriend not to break up after November started or something. Even if one person wants to call it off, they agreed that they would grit their teeth and fake it for a month so that they wouldn't screw the other person over for finals.

Sorry to hear it eandy. You gotta just block it out and keep moving forward.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:03 pm

romothesavior wrote:

This is why you don't start a relationship 1L year. Or if you do, you gotta make some sort of agreement with the person not to create drama leading up to finals. I have a friend here who made an agreement with her girlfriend not to break up after November started or something. Even if one person wants to call it off, they agreed that they would grit their teeth and fake it for a month so that they wouldn't screw the other person over for finals.

:lol: :lol: this is pretty hilarious. what do you do in case of breach? a third party has password protected nekkid pictures of both parties, to be distributed in event of breach?*

*kidding.

Postby 005618502 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:05 pm

dailygrind wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

:lol: :lol: this is pretty hilarious. what do you do in case of breach? a third party has password protected nekkid pictures of both parties, to be distributed in event of breach?*

*kidding.

Might be kidding, but not a bad idea! haha

Postby 09042014 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:09 pm

dailygrind wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

*kidding.

Demand specific performance.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:34 am

I HAVE FINISHED MY FINAL MEMO!!! LET THE GUNNING COMMENCE!

stayway

Postby stayway » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:38 am

dailygrind wrote:I HAVE FINISHED MY FINAL MEMO!!! LET THE GUNNING COMMENCE!

I am legitimately jealous because mine's not due until Nov 22

ChattTNdt

Postby ChattTNdt » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:47 am

nooyyllib wrote:
dailygrind wrote:I HAVE FINISHED MY FINAL MEMO!!! LET THE GUNNING COMMENCE!

I am legitimately jealous because mine's not due until Nov 22

I am legitimately psyched because I, too, have finished my final memo, and mine's not due until Nov 22 :mrgreen:

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”