Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
beach_terror

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby beach_terror » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:38 am

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:47 am

Thanks guys. Yep I have the Freer book and the limited time I've spent with it has been very helpful. It's so damn long, though, so I don't feel like I'll get the chance to read as much of it as I'd like. How have you been incorporating it into your studies?

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:03 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:So is anyone else starting to feel a little burned out? I must need to relax more or something, because it's starting to get harder for me to pay attention in class and work productively in the library.

Also -- any general tips on how to really learn Civil Procedure substantively and thoroughly? I have the Glannon stuff and it is certainly helpful, but I want to work towards a deeper, more intuitive knowledge of the subject.

Has anyone experimented with FRCP flashcards or something? I wouldn't do so to memorize the rules themselves, but to increase my familiarity with each rule's general function (or at least the rules that one would use most in a CivPro 1L class) in the scope of the whole FRCP. Even though our exam is open book, I'm wondering if this could help...

yeah, i've been feeling a little burned out recently, and i know it isn't a unique thing. there's a general decline in the go-getter, upbeat attitude that we all had in the first few months, and much less in the way of sharp/provoking questions/insight. there are still some people that haven't eased off the gas though, and i suspect that they'll go the whole way through without easing off. i have no clue how they do it.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:21 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Thanks guys. Yep I have the Freer book and the limited time I've spent with it has been very helpful. It's so damn long, though, so I don't feel like I'll get the chance to read as much of it as I'd like. How have you been incorporating it into your studies?
That Issacharoff book is pretty short (a couple hundred easy-to-read pages), and he puts everything in an easily digestible format. It doesn't even take much effort to get through. Do be warned that his opinions may sometimes differ from the norm -- for example, he thinks Iqbal is an aberration, not the new standard. But in general it's extremely helpful in putting Civ Pro into an understandable and often enjoyable form.

savagecheater

Postby savagecheater » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:28 pm

dailygrind wrote:
yeah, i've been feeling a little burned out recently, and i know it isn't a unique thing. there's a general decline in the go-getter, upbeat attitude that we all had in the first few months, and much less in the way of sharp/provoking questions/insight. there are still some people that haven't eased off the gas though, and i suspect that they'll go the whole way through without easing off. i have no clue how they do it.

I'm only feeling partial burnout from LW.

Otherwise, I'm doing ok, aside from a general disinclination and subsequent neglect of my hornbook reading.

the schedule does become much more difficult to keep up - simple things like cooking/working out/cleaning apt. are beginning to look less and less attractive.

I have, however, never looked so forward to winter break in my life.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:52 pm

romothesavior wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:Pass/Fail may as well say "Pass unless your IQ is under 70." Seriously those things are not possible to fail.

I hate, hate, HATE that our LW is not pass/fail. And it is TWO credits each semester! Brutal.
So MF credited.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:53 pm

What is with people who have 4 classes and people who have LW P/F. I have neither!

Postby 09042014 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:21 pm

dailygrind wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:So is anyone else starting to feel a little burned out? I must need to relax more or something, because it's starting to get harder for me to pay attention in class and work productively in the library.

Also -- any general tips on how to really learn Civil Procedure substantively and thoroughly? I have the Glannon stuff and it is certainly helpful, but I want to work towards a deeper, more intuitive knowledge of the subject.

Has anyone experimented with FRCP flashcards or something? I wouldn't do so to memorize the rules themselves, but to increase my familiarity with each rule's general function (or at least the rules that one would use most in a CivPro 1L class) in the scope of the whole FRCP. Even though our exam is open book, I'm wondering if this could help...

I want to know what people are doing early in the semester that was so time consuming and stressful.

It seems like just keeping up with reading and LRW is enough until Oct 15, or Nov 1 when teh finals push begins.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:39 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
dailygrind wrote:

I want to know what people are doing early in the semester that was so time consuming and stressful.

It seems like just keeping up with reading and LRW is enough until Oct 15, or Nov 1 when teh finals push begins.

there's tons of supplemental material that you could've done, or you could've spent a lot of time obsessing over the minutiae of various cases. occasionally i got caught up in the latter.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:43 pm

dailygrind wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
dailygrind wrote:

there's tons of supplemental material that you could've done, or you could've spent a lot of time obsessing over the minutiae of various cases. occasionally i got caught up in the latter.

I did this in torts for awhile, kicking myself for it because its a closed book exam. The E&E will be more than sufficient for the exam, I'm almost tempted to stop reading the damn casebook.

Melkaba

Postby Melkaba » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:43 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:What is with people who have 4 classes and people who have LW P/F. I have neither!

When considering that we get our graded memos back tomorrow, the combined facts that our class is graded on a curve with like 15 people and the fact that our teacher "reassures" us by saying "every one of you did fantastic!" makes me A.) Not even care what I get now that I'm expecting median, B.) Realize why so many people have been saying that curved LW is absolute lunacy.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:43 pm

I'm not burned out, since I've been fairly lazy up until this point, knowing that I'd need to save my energy. But, months of 6 hours of sleep a night has caught up with me, and I'm finally stressed. Today I saw a sample torts exam with no less than 75 issues - and only 2 hours to talk about all of them. Oy to the vey. That paired with my memo... which sucks no matter what I do has my heart pounding. A heart attack actually doesn't feel that far away.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:04 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
dailygrind wrote:

1) Read Chemerinsky and all your E&E's in the first couple weeks.
2) Brief all of the cases in your casebook in the first month.
3) xxxxxxx
4) Law school success

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:42 pm

This aptly describes my take on finals, which rotates between the two on an hourly basis:

solotee

Postby solotee » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:51 pm

An LEEWS flier was placed in every single 1L's mailbox and advertisements were posted around our locker room for the live program..

My first thought was, great the curve is going to be completely narrow. My theory is students are anxious of the unknown (law school exams), and being type A personalities, they will take advantage of any resource that might help them dispel the unknown, which in this case are LEEWS.

My question is whether this was done in any other schools?

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:35 pm

solotee wrote:An LEEWS flier was placed in every single 1L's mailbox and advertisements were posted around our locker room for the live program..

My first thought was, great the curve is going to be completely narrow. My theory is students are anxious of the unknown (law school exams), and being type A personalities, they will take advantage of any resource that might help them dispel the unknown, which in this case are LEEWS.

It's probably way too late to be getting much discernible benefit from a once-through LEEWS at this point, anyway. All the time they spend listening to LEEWS is time they aren't spent taking practice exams. That's pure profit for you.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:10 pm

solotee wrote:An LEEWS flier was placed in every single 1L's mailbox and advertisements were posted around our locker room for the live program..

Same at our school. I'm so glad I already did it. Honestly the flier makes it look kinda like a money sink, or a big waste. At least that is how I would see it if I were a student at my school who just listened to everything we have heard from professors, etc. I don't know if I would actually even give it the time of day if I didn't know it came highly recommended on here.

mmmadeli

Postby mmmadeli » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:15 pm

After we read Palsgraf today, our torts prof did a mini-lecture on Rube Goldberg machines. He had slides and everything. He summed it up by saying, "So if the Rube Goldberg window-washing machine were a torts case, it would be no liability for lack of proximate cause."

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:55 pm

Turns out that the "burnout" I had been feeling was just the flu.

RESUME GUNNING

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:58 am

Just did my first issue spotting exercise on a torts essay exam. Figured I would just say that LEEWS definitely works and you guys should try it if you have time over the next month or so.

Wentworth should be payin' me.

KIM_SAYS:

Postby KIM_SAYS: » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:38 am

Working on my second memo....

How do you address fact discrepancies between the complaint and oral deposition in your statement of facts section?

Postby 09042014 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:59 pm

mmmadeli wrote:After we read Palsgraf today, our torts prof did a mini-lecture on Rube Goldberg machines. He had slides and everything. He summed it up by saying, "So if the Rube Goldberg window-washing machine were a torts case, it would be no liability for lack of proximate cause."

Proximate cause is a TTT theory.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:06 pm

traehekat wrote:Just did my first issue spotting exercise on a torts essay exam. Figured I would just say that LEEWS definitely works and you guys should try it if you have time over the next month or so.

I told myself that I wouldn't shell out the money for LEEWS, but as my anxiety for finals increases exponentially with time, I'm tempted to give it a look.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:07 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
traehekat wrote:Just did my first issue spotting exercise on a torts essay exam. Figured I would just say that LEEWS definitely works and you guys should try it if you have time over the next month or so.

I told myself that I wouldn't shell out the money for LEEWS, but as my anxiety for finals increases exponentially with time, I'm tempted to give it a look.

There is a MP3 version floating around on bittorrent.

I read the first third of Getting to Maybe, and I found it helpful. But taking a graded midterm really helped.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:11 pm

GeePee wrote:It's probably way too late to be getting much discernible benefit from a once-through LEEWS at this point, anyway. All the time they spend listening to LEEWS is time they aren't spent taking practice exams. That's pure profit for you.

I've been outlining but over the last 3 days have been moving towards full time practice exams. general consensus as appropriate strategy?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”