Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
beach_terror

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby beach_terror » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:45 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
rejectmaster wrote:would you all agree that the "crunch" is kicking in right about now?

It appears to with the people I've talked to at my school. I can, really for the first time, feel a tangible sense of fear and anxiety about finals in the air. Seems like the calendar flipping over to November was the "oh shit" moment for a lot of people.

Still hasn't hit my school, but I go to a T2 (so everyone has already obviously accepted that we are all fucked anyway)

Rico Suave

Postby Rico Suave » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:21 am

My torts professor likes to call on people when they aren't paying attention. Today was the fourth time he called on me this semester. FML

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:28 am

It's getting much more intense at my school. I'm feeling the collective stress.

New weekly plan:Library 7:30-10:00, class (incl lunch break) 10-3:30, library 4-7. Then I come hone and unwind before an earlly bedtime. The library time is quite managable when split on both sides of my class time.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:13 am

My section got back a scored midterm (but not counted in our overall grade). Now I sense some stress.

solotee

Postby solotee » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:53 am

My outlines are roughly updated. I plan to spend 1 week for each of my 3 classes really honing in on the material. After every week I'll take a practice exam for that class. By the end of Nov, I should be set for straight up practice exams/review.

I got a confidence booster the other day. Wrote out a hypo and had my prof grade it. He told me that if it was a real exam, it would be an A answer. That's all I needed to hear. It's time to get down to business!

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:03 am

Crunch time is mosdef here. Anyone else hit it too hard early in the semester and fighting burnout?

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:06 am

Had my first "Wow, that was terrible..." Socratic method experience, as opposed to my normal, "Well, that was pretty mediocre" Socratic method experience. He caught me right when I was punching the hole in my Capri Sun.

And yeah, intensity is starting to pick up. I'm trying to get to the coffee house here around 8 every morning to study before class at 11:30, then do whatever needs to get done throughout the rest of the day. Torts outline is almost current, but I haven't really done anything with Contracts and Property, generally out of fear for how long it will take/horrible it will be to complete them.

Goal: Have all outlines current and a few practice exams under my belt by the end of Thanksgiving break.

How is everyone approaching practice exams? LEEWS emphasizes that you don't need to ever really sit down and take an ENTIRE exam - you just have to practice spotting issues and then going through each issue, one by one, with a solid analysis. I feel that it is beneficial to take at least one full length exam though, just for timing/endurance purposes. How do you guys feel about the LEEWS strategy?

calvmpv

Postby calvmpv » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:23 am

I'm not even in law school yet...but I can already tell finals season is upon you all because I feel pressures mounting on TLS. I'm one of those who gets stressed if they're not prepared way ahead of time and don't know what's going on...reading your threads helps me feel like I'm reducing the knowledge gap and uncertainty.

My question is......
The dean of the law school at my UG asked me if I would like to audit a course at the law school next semester. I was wondering if any of you thought this was a good idea. Maybe auditing a class will give me a sense of how a law school class is different from UG and a better idea of what to expect next fall.

Do any of you guys wish you had been more prepared for a specific 1L class before actually starting LS? Which oneeee? Do you recommend auditing a hard one or an easier one so I don't feel completely lost?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:28 am

calvmpv wrote:I'm not even in law school yet...but I can already tell finals season is upon you all because I feel pressures mounting on TLS. I'm one of those who gets stressed if they're not prepared way ahead of time and don't know what's going on...reading your threads helps me feel like I'm reducing the knowledge gap and uncertainty.

My question is......
The dean of the law school at my UG asked me if I would like to audit a course at the law school next semester. I was wondering if any of you thought this was a good idea. Maybe auditing a class will give me a sense of how a law school class is different from UG and a better idea of what to expect next fall.

Do any of you guys wish you had been more prepared for a specific 1L class before actually starting LS? Which oneeee? Do you recommend auditing a hard one or an easier one so I don't feel completely lost?

If you don't do the readings, torts is probably the only one that would seem to make sense. Maybe crim to a degree, but torts is very common sense based for the most part.

calvmpv

Postby calvmpv » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:31 am

beach_terror wrote:
calvmpv wrote:I'm not even in law school yet...but I can already tell finals season is upon you all because I feel pressures mounting on TLS. I'm one of those who gets stressed if they're not prepared way ahead of time and don't know what's going on...reading your threads helps me feel like I'm reducing the knowledge gap and uncertainty.

My question is......

If you don't do the readings, torts is probably the only one that would seem to make sense. Maybe crim to a degree, but torts is very common sense based for the most part.

Thankss. I see, I see...and what if I were to do the class readings? Would you still recommend taking torts?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:57 am

calvmpv wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

My question is......

Thankss. I see, I see...and what if I were to do the class readings? Would you still recommend taking torts?

Depends on what you'd find interesting. A lot of people here will recommend against doing the readings, but it might be a decent idea to expose yourself to some of the general concepts... just don't get super hung up on the substantive stuff.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:35 pm

As a 0L, I read on here constantly that working in a law firm prior to law school will give you absolutely no step up on your classmates. But I have to say that the ability in LRW to put out some of the best work product in the class while working less than anybody else on it has cleared a substantial amount of time on my schedule for exam study.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:50 pm

TTH wrote:Crunch time is mosdef here. Anyone else hit it too hard early in the semester and fighting burnout?

I started off way over the top but cooled it by late September knowing that I would burnout no matter how many thoughts of "It happens to everyone else, but not me." I had. That was the best idea of the semester. Now I feel like I am ready to go and not burned out by any means. I still force myself to go home at 9 p.m. though, I just feel like 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. of this stuff is enough, I doubt another hour or two when your brain is entirely fried will do any good.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:08 pm

traehekat wrote:Had my first "Wow, that was terrible..." Socratic method experience, as opposed to my normal, "Well, that was pretty mediocre" Socratic method experience. He caught me right when I was punching the hole in my Capri Sun.
I'm sorry, I feel for you -- really, I do -- but I lol'd.

Also, I've been knocked out the past couple days with a cold/flu/ebola thing, and that is fucking with me. This is not a good time to be missing class.

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:32 pm

To what extent am I missing the boat on the Erie Doctrine? I know this is supposed to be a really hard case/concept, but it seems like it boils down pretty simply.

If a Federal Court is hearing a state law claim under diversity jurisdiction, then they apply the substantive state law of the state in which they're sitting, be it statutory or common law, amirite? Does all of Brandeis' policy arguments, statutory interpretation of the RDA, etc matter for the purposes of taking a civ pro exam?

edit: I'm guessing it's the stuff that comes after Erie v. Tomkins that causes the headaches. Otherwise, I'm a fool. Either way, nvm.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:03 pm

TTH wrote:To what extent am I missing the boat on the Erie Doctrine? I know this is supposed to be a really hard case/concept, but it seems like it boils down pretty simply.

If a Federal Court is hearing a state law claim under diversity jurisdiction, then they apply the substantive state law of the state in which they're sitting, be it statutory or common law, amirite? Does all of Brandeis' policy arguments, statutory interpretation of the RDA, etc matter for the purposes of taking a civ pro exam?

edit: I'm guessing it's the stuff that comes after Erie v. Tomkins that causes the headaches. Otherwise, I'm a fool. Either way, nvm.

Your interpretation depends on the twin aims of Erie: Is the abolition of Federal Common-Law mainly to deter forum-shopping amongst interested parties, or is it to promote federalism?

Either way, stay tuned to the cases that you'll be discussing soon for more details on how the court has royally fucked up any consistent interpretation of Erie. York says something that makes little to no sense, then Hanna and Ricoh further policy that sort of misses the point, and last year Shady Grove attempted to finally clear up the law... except it was a 4-4-1 split, and we still don't know what the law is because the 5 judges with the same framework couldn't agree on how to apply it to a fact pattern.

Take away: Erie is a mess. Just make sure you understand the possible policy implications of the original decision, and how to apply the various tests that the court has given us to consider over the years.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:55 pm

Erie itself seems easy and straightforward. The tricky part comes later and then Shady Grove makes everything such a mess that my always-Socratic prof lectured on it.

Also, is anyone else reading Twombly and not Iqbal? I always thought they went together (and I know it's in the casebook supplement we got so our prof is purposely ignoring it). I'll probably go ask him why but I think it's kind of strange.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:59 pm

We had our pass/fail legal research test today. The stress in the air made me wonder what the hell these people are going to do come finals. One girl said "seriously, I'm in a bad mood, I'm so stressed about our research exam tomorrow" :roll:

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:17 pm

Pass/Fail may as well say "Pass unless your IQ is under 70." Seriously those things are not possible to fail.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:22 pm

keg411 wrote:Erie itself seems easy and straightforward. The tricky part comes later and then Shady Grove makes everything such a mess that my always-Socratic prof lectured on it.

Also, is anyone else reading Twombly and not Iqbal? I always thought they went together (and I know it's in the casebook supplement we got so our prof is purposely ignoring it). I'll probably go ask him why but I think it's kind of strange.

Iqbal doesn't actually create new doctrine, it just tells you that the ways that you think Twombly could possibly be construed narrowly don't actually apply. It's the new standard, even though Swierkiewicz is somehow still "good law."

If your prof. tells you that without having you read Iqbal, you're probably fine.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:11 pm

GeePee wrote:
keg411 wrote:Erie itself seems easy and straightforward. The tricky part comes later and then Shady Grove makes everything such a mess that my always-Socratic prof lectured on it.

Iqbal doesn't actually create new doctrine, it just tells you that the ways that you think Twombly could possibly be construed narrowly don't actually apply. It's the new standard, even though Swierkiewicz is somehow still "good law."

If your prof. tells you that without having you read Iqbal, you're probably fine.

Yup, he told us that. Thanks :).

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:17 am

BarbellDreams wrote:Pass/Fail may as well say "Pass unless your IQ is under 70." Seriously those things are not possible to fail.

I hate, hate, HATE that our LW is not pass/fail. And it is TWO credits each semester! Brutal.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:32 am

So is anyone else starting to feel a little burned out? I must need to relax more or something, because it's starting to get harder for me to pay attention in class and work productively in the library.

Also -- any general tips on how to really learn Civil Procedure substantively and thoroughly? I have the Glannon stuff and it is certainly helpful, but I want to work towards a deeper, more intuitive knowledge of the subject.

Has anyone experimented with FRCP flashcards or something? I wouldn't do so to memorize the rules themselves, but to increase my familiarity with each rule's general function (or at least the rules that one would use most in a CivPro 1L class) in the scope of the whole FRCP. Even though our exam is open book, I'm wondering if this could help...

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:36 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Also -- any general tips on how to really learn Civil Procedure substantively and thoroughly? I have the Glannon stuff and it is certainly helpful, but I want to work towards a deeper, more intuitive knowledge of the subject.

Who wrote your text? See if there's a hornbook by the same author. I ordered Freer's, I'll let you know how it is in a few days when I get it.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”