Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
goosey

Gold

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Post by goosey » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:51 pm

just finished my bluebooking quiz--it went super well..am stoked.

party party! :mrgreen:

and by party I mean time to outline for civ pro

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:45 pm

Big lulz. Had a big GChat argument today over the Tice case, where the judge said that the two defendants were both negligent and placed the burden of proof on them instead of the plaintiff. It drove one girl insane.

bmontminy

Bronze

Post by bmontminy » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:41 am

Hurray for burden shifting! 8)

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:11 am

lol i actually have to read tice for tomorrow. prolly should get on that.

savagecheater

Bronze

Post by savagecheater » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:47 pm

traehekat wrote:lol i actually have to read tice for tomorrow. prolly should get on that.
it's a decent enough case.

one of the few where i actually side with the plaintiff.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:50 pm

All this summer job talk is pretty overwhelming.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:54 pm

goodolgil wrote:All this summer job talk is pretty overwhelming.

wow we're so not there yet..I've been to a few events prepping for it but I feel like nobody in my section is even thinking about summer jobs yet.

on a side note..unofficial poll: I am making a table with FRCP rules--debating whether I should put them in order or put them as they were covered in class? For ex, we did rule 8(a) and then went to rule 12(b), then 11, and then returned to the rest of rules 8 and 9. verses just going 8..9...10..11...12

how would you organize?

bmontminy

Bronze

Post by bmontminy » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:37 pm

goosey wrote:

wow we're so not there yet..I've been to a few events prepping for it but I feel like nobody in my section is even thinking about summer jobs yet.

on a side note..unofficial poll: I am making a table with FRCP rules--debating whether I should put them in order or put them as they were covered in class? For ex, we did rule 8(a) and then went to rule 12(b), then 11, and then returned to the rest of rules 8 and 9. verses just going 8..9...10..11...12

how would you organize?
not familiar with the FRCP, sorry =-(...

On a side, side note...I wish the 3rd restatement of torts could have waiting to have been published...Now our torts prof is assigning us some from each justifying it with the 3rd will probably be used in the future, but courts have currently adopted the 2nd. Leave me a bit jumbled as far as how to answer questions come finals (all the old exams answer keys are all 2nd restatements of course).

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:44 pm

bmontminy wrote:
goosey wrote:

how would you organize?

On a side, side note...I wish the 3rd restatement of torts could have waiting to have been published...Now our torts prof is assigning us some from each justifying it with the 3rd will probably be used in the future, but courts have currently adopted the 2nd. Leave me a bit jumbled as far as how to answer questions come finals (all the old exams answer keys are all 2nd restatements of course).

are you going to read the restatement? I was considering reading parts to help me understand but dont want to waste time. thoughts??

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bmontminy

Bronze

Post by bmontminy » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:06 pm

goosey wrote:
bmontminy wrote:
goosey wrote:

how would you organize?

are you going to read the restatement? I was considering reading parts to help me understand but dont want to waste time. thoughts??
Our professor assigns specific sections with every corresponding syllabus section, so it is not so much an option for me =-/.....That being said unless there is another way you are learning the black letter law, the Restatements really are a necessity imo.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:22 pm

frcp= federal rules of civil procedure

and regarding the restatement, our textbook has the relevant sections, but sometimes I feel like I want to get further clarification. Will look into this.

bmontminy

Bronze

Post by bmontminy » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:30 pm

I wouldn't go out and buy the book...there will be lots of sections that are useless. But you CAN pull em up for free of of Westlaw/LexisNexis...Hopefully the sections in your book have all the relevant illustrations as well as simply the rules and comments.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:31 pm

The next two weeks are really the only point I'm a little worried about, stress-wise. Open memo + the start of job search + lots of make up class. Nothing crazy, but much more stress than anything we've been doing thus far. Thankfully, memo is due 11.11 and we're done with LRW.

Very few folks here are outlining yet. People seem to be making choices about which classes they are content with getting a "Pass" and which ones they are shooting for "Honors" in.

Last, but not least, studying for 4 substantive finals is going to be a bitch.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:33 pm

Kretzy wrote: Last, but not least, studying for 4 substantive finals is going to be a bitch.
This. I really feel like i'm in just 1 class too many right now.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:03 pm

Kretzy wrote:Last, but not least, studying for 4 substantive finals is going to be a bitch.

Try 5.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:18 pm

delBarco wrote:
Kretzy wrote: Last, but not least, studying for 4 substantive finals is going to be a bitch.
This. I really feel like i'm in just 1 class too many right now.
no kidding. i am tremendously envious of the lucky bastards that are only in 3 substantive classes + lrw. doing this + OGI next year + any extracurricular is probably insane.

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:23 pm

kalvano wrote:
Kretzy wrote:Last, but not least, studying for 4 substantive finals is going to be a bitch.

Try 5.
3 of my 4 are closed book :shock: beat that!

I thought I would jump on this thread to rant a little about legal writing.....

If knowing how to write well is so freakin important, make it worth more than 1 credit!!!

I just finished writing a complete draft of my final memo. It has taken me an insane amount of time (probably 20 hours so far), and I anticipate many hours of revision. All for 1 freakin credit. wtf.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:30 pm

oh man i am working on my closed memo right now. i was previously ranting about how i was using a promising theory and the prof closed it off because she only wanted other theories used. i just stumbled across another theory that would be a better, easier way to attack the subject than what the prof wants, but i know that pursuing it too heavily will be a complete waste of time. my ocd is being agitated. plus i really don't want to do it the way she wants me to...goddamn it's gonna be so much work that way.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:40 pm

I haven't spent much time with supplements thus far this semester, but I skipped a lot of reading last week in civ pro. So, I'm burning through the cases just to get a sense of them and reading the E&E to make sure I pulled the rules out correctly. This is the first time I've cracked the E&E.

Suffice to say, all the hype is worth it. The fucking thing almost brought me to tears (well, it was either that or the extra hot chili I was shitting out while reading the chapter on supplemental jurisdiction). Srsly, I want to get Joseph Glannon's fucking autograph.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:07 am

TTH wrote:I haven't spent much time with supplements thus far this semester, but I skipped a lot of reading last week in civ pro. So, I'm burning through the cases just to get a sense of them and reading the E&E to make sure I pulled the rules out correctly. This is the first time I've cracked the E&E.

Suffice to say, all the hype is worth it. The fucking thing almost brought me to tears (well, it was either that or the extra hot chili I was shitting out while reading the chapter on supplemental jurisdiction). Srsly, I want to get Joseph Glannon's fucking autograph.
Likewise, the E&E for Torts has been invaluable. E&E CivPro will be insta-purchase when that time comes. Although as far as supps have gone, nothing has quite measured up to the usefulness of Chemerinsky. It's almost unfair to call it a supplement when my casebook has pretty much been holding that duty.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:20 am

Helmholtz wrote:
TTH wrote:I haven't spent much time with supplements thus far this semester, but I skipped a lot of reading last week in civ pro. So, I'm burning through the cases just to get a sense of them and reading the E&E to make sure I pulled the rules out correctly. This is the first time I've cracked the E&E.

Likewise, the E&E for Torts has been invaluable. E&E CivPro will be insta-purchase when that time comes. Although as far as supps have gone, nothing has quite measured up to the usefulness of Chemerinsky. It's almost unfair to call it a supplement when my casebook has pretty much been holding that duty.
Good to know Chemerinsky will be there when I need it. It's pretty damned cruel to make you guys start off with conlaw, though.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:23 am

TTH wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

Good to know Chemerinsky will be there when I need it. It's pretty damned cruel to make you guys start off with conlaw, though.
True, but after looking on here at all the people who are not blessed with only 3 substantive courses and ungraded LRW, things could be much, much worse. It's really not that bad. I enjoy the policy perspective the class provides after having torts and property rules ground into my head the rest of the day.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:38 am

Yeah, four substantive law classes plus graded LR is a crock of shit, but it will all be worth it since my school is positioned to catapult me securely into that thriving BIGOHIOLAW scene. Oh wait...

ps. Con law and property? Ecch. At least torts is easy.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:45 am

TTH wrote:Yeah, four substantive law classes plus graded LR is a crock of shit, but it will all be worth it since my school is positioned to catapult me securely into that thriving BIGOHIOLAW scene. Oh wait...

ps. Con law and property? Ecch. At least torts is easy.
There must be substantial BIGOHIOLAW - the state doesn't have eleven law schools for nothing, right? amiright?

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:20 am

Helmholtz wrote:
TTH wrote:Good to know Chemerinsky will be there when I need it. It's pretty damned cruel to make you guys start off with conlaw, though.
True, but after looking on here at all the people who are not blessed with only 3 substantive courses and ungraded LRW, things could be much, much worse. It's really not that bad. I enjoy the policy perspective the class provides after having torts and property rules ground into my head the rest of the day.
Heh, where are you at that you're getting con, torts and property? At NYU I have, as far as traditional 1L doctrinal courses go, the complete opposite of your schedule (contracts, civ pro, and crim). Curious to know which other schools deviate from the norm a bit.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”