Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
stocksly33

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby stocksly33 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:20 am

writing out hypo answers can be a real beast.

I wrote out a venue hypo, but the D was a corporation... so by the time I type out the venue rules and the personal jurisdiction rules (since for venue the corporate D resides where personal jurisdiction is proper)... i'm like 5-6 wordy sentences (and a significant amount of time) into the answer, and all i've done is state the rules.... for 1 part of 1 hypo.

such a small question, but it kicked my ass. how on earth do people finish exams that touch on so many rules?

Ersatz Haderach

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:39 am

romothesavior wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:I just got my first memo back and I am completely average, exactly on the median. What's worst, is aside from fixing some gramatical errors and rephrasing a few sentences, it doesn't seem like there is all that much I can do to improve.

Based on every conversation I have ever had with a 2L or 3L (both IRL and on TLS), this is to be expected of LP. The difference between memos is minimal, making the curve very tight.

Just take your B and move on with it. That's what I'm going to do. My focus will be on my three 4-credit classes, not on my one 1-credit class.

Legal writing has the worst time-to-reward ratio of any class I've ever taken, including Latin. Fuck you, legal writing. I will get a big, fat, worthless A in you.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:10 am

romothesavior wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:I just got my first memo back and I am completely average, exactly on the median. What's worst, is aside from fixing some gramatical errors and rephrasing a few sentences, it doesn't seem like there is all that much I can do to improve.

Based on every conversation I have ever had with a 2L or 3L (both IRL and on TLS), this is to be expected of LP. The difference between memos is minimal, making the curve very tight.

Just take your B and move on with it. That's what I'm going to do. My focus will be on my three 4-credit classes, not on my one 1-credit class.

Why is my LRW 4 credits? God dammit.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:13 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Why is my LRW 4 credits? God dammit.

Because you have Justin Bieber as your tar.

LRW sucks. Esp. because my research class is graded too (ours are sep. 2credit Writing, 1 credit research) and the final is multiple choice answers like what does * mean in a Boolean search. Dude everyone is gonna get questions like this right, the curve is going to suck massive balls...

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:24 pm

Yeah, mine is 2 credits, BUT.... it's what makes us eligible for awesome paid internships over the summer. And I want one of those. Plus, I'm more likely to be good at this class than a real class.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:52 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty petrified to get my memo back. I really feel it could be anywhere from "pretty decent" to "wtf are you thinking".

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:03 pm

Just turned in the final draft of our closed memo assignment. Definitely a lot of work for the fraction of 1.5 credits that this thing is worth. I thought my rough draft was pretty solid but it was torn up real good (though this was the case for every single person in my writing section). I'm relatively confident about the final draft though. I know its worth very little, but seeing how there is no feedback or grades in any other class, it would be nice to have an A under my belt. Though I'm sure that the majority will probably just gets B's, myself included.

uvauvauva

Postby uvauvauva » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:16 pm

LRW just sucks in general. My LRW class is pass fail. But damn it it's such a time sucker and it's hard.

goosey

Postby goosey » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:23 pm

my LWR class is 2 credits..and its 2 credits I want to make the most of since I [seemingly] have the most control over it. Doing well in legal writing means the possibility of a B- in another class and still being above median. Its a nice insurance policy.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:35 pm

traehekat wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty petrified to get my memo back. I really feel it could be anywhere from "pretty decent" to "wtf are you thinking".

This. I'm either getting a hearty "Well done, keep up the good work!" or a "Fuck yourself and enjoy DLA Piper!"

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:35 pm

Nothing in my LRW class is graded until the final open memo, which is 100% of the grade.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:40 pm

kalvano wrote:Nothing in my LRW class is graded until the final open memo, which is 100% of the grade.

Shoulda gone to wake... we get 1 ungraded closed memo, 1 graded closed memo worth 25% and 1 open memo worth 75%. Oh, and we finish in early November, so we don't have to worry about it at exams.

<3 wake/

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:42 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
kalvano wrote:Nothing in my LRW class is graded until the final open memo, which is 100% of the grade.

Shoulda gone to wake... we get 1 ungraded closed memo, 1 graded closed memo worth 25% and 1 open memo worth 75%. Oh, and we finish in early November, so we don't have to worry about it at exams.

<3 wake/

I tried.

I don't mind, we get lots of practice writing that we can screw up without being penalized. We are also done by mid-November so we don't have to mess with it during exams.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:47 pm

kalvano wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:

<3 wake/

I don't mind, we get lots of practice writing that we can screw up without being penalized. We are also done by mid-November so we don't have to mess with it during exams.

Nice =). I think it would suck to have to worry about memos in late november/december

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:58 pm

romothesavior wrote:
traehekat wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty petrified to get my memo back. I really feel it could be anywhere from "pretty decent" to "wtf are you thinking".

This. I'm either getting a hearty "Well done, keep up the good work!" or a "Fuck yourself and enjoy DLA Piper!"

lol @ blowing a class at WUSTL and still landing DLA Piper

En serio, how the hell are you, Romo? This whole law school thing's kind of a bitch.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:00 pm

clintonius wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

En serio, how the hell are you, Romo? This whole law school thing's kind of a bitch.

Dude, I'm T19 secure. DLA Piper East St. Louis will be knocking down the door to interview me for DUI defense work.

And I'm good. Officially on fall break! No class til next Monday! How are you doing?

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:08 pm

clintonius wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

FTFTTT

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:18 pm

romothesavior wrote:
clintonius wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Dude, I'm T19 secure. DLA Piper East St. Louis will be knocking down the door to interview me for DUI defense work.

And I'm good. Officially on fall break! No class til next Monday! How are you doing?
Fucking nice. I have Cravath Newark on speed dial, trying to work my way into their electioneering defense department.

And I'm just dandy, except for that whole being jealous of you motherfuckers who get a fall break thing. Asshole.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:19 pm

clintonius wrote:And I'm just dandy, except for that whole being jealous of you motherfuckers who get a fall break thing. Asshole.

It is really awesome. I'm having a few drinks right now, just relaxing. Going home for a few days, seein the folks, and getting some work done. Should be a good break.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:20 pm

romothesavior wrote:
clintonius wrote:And I'm just dandy, except for that whole being jealous of you motherfuckers who get a fall break thing. Asshole.

It is really awesome. I'm having a few drinks right now, just relaxing. Going home for a few days, seein the folks, and getting some work done. Should be a good break.

WTF? you get a fall break.

it's like the T19's are mocking us . . .
SHOULD HAVE TAKEN THE WUSTL MONEY. GUESS THIS IS JUST ANOTHER OF A LONG LINE OF BAD LIFE DECISIONS

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:03 pm

delBarco wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

WTF? you get a fall break.

it's like the T19's are mocking us . . .
SHOULD HAVE TAKEN THE WUSTL MONEY. GUESS THIS IS JUST ANOTHER OF A LONG LINE OF BAD LIFE DECISIONS
We have nothing else, give us just this one cold comfort.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:07 am

LAST ICW ASSIGNMENT DONE, THANK THE LORD.

Ersatz Haderach

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:19 am

beach_terror wrote:LAST ICW ASSIGNMENT DONE, THANK THE LORD.

Fuck the ICW. Fuck it.

Melkaba

Postby Melkaba » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:06 pm

Woo, outlining time and I really don't even know where to start. Eh, perhaps this is just a thing that people just blitz through on their first time and it then becomes a sort of art later on.

Although, at least my torts professor has some outlines floating around on the web that are pretty much identical to the way class is going right now. Although, I would feel tremendously guilty if I didn't take the time sink of writing up my own outline, no matter how crappy it may be.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:09 pm

Melkaba wrote:Woo, outlining time and I really don't even know where to start. Eh, perhaps this is just a thing that people just blitz through on their first time and it then becomes a sort of art later on.

Although, at least my torts professor has some outlines floating around on the web that are pretty much identical to the way class is going right now. Although, I would feel tremendously guilty if I didn't take the time sink of writing up my own outline, no matter how crappy it may be.

I'm actually outlining for torts right now and using the outlines as a guide. They are pretty helpful for organization, but I find the content to be pretty bad on some of them.

I think the way he teaches the class makes it really easy to take notes to use in an outline. He does a good job of speaking very precisely and he hammers the elements a lot, so that has been helpful in taking those notes and plugging them in.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”