Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
kalvano

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby kalvano » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:23 pm

beach_terror wrote:
kalvano wrote:Also, what the hell is this "fall break" I keep seeing people refer to?

a 5 day weekend starting tomorrow for me :D

Die in a fire.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:52 am

Ha, yeah, our fall schedule looked like this: September 6, no school (Labor Day). Ass end of November, no school for two days (Thanksgiving). I get the feeling in a month or so I'm going to be pining for that fall break...

In other news, we have contracts four times this week. I'm 15 minutes into class #3 and the dude is talking about the benefit of at-will employment something something mumble mumble. I don't even know.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:20 am

kalvano wrote:Also, what the hell is this "fall break" I keep seeing people refer to?

I remember fall break @ SMU. I assume the law school doesn't have it. I enjoyed it as an UG and now I'm pissed at my SMU friends whose statuses are about fall break.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:40 am

GAME DAY

Crim midterm here I come.

Cmoss

Re: The Gunner Thread

Postby Cmoss » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:47 am

Duralex wrote:I'm going to hang these up opposite the crapper:

--ImageRemoved--
--ImageRemoved--

or maybe on the ceiling over my bed.

In all seriousness, I think the motivation for the thread is laudable even if it is perhaps not optimally named.

http://legalbooksdistributing.com/sc_pi ... tracts.asp if you actually want the posters, btw.

Why not both?

goosey

Postby goosey » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:11 am

we have practice questions in crim...they are graded but dont count towards our grade.

i got an A on the first one...and a C on the 2nd one. I am beyond confused :-/ and bummed.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:14 am

goosey wrote:we have practice questions in crim...they are graded but dont count towards our grade.

i got an A on the first one...and a C on the 2nd one. I am beyond confused :-/ and bummed.

What was the subject matter of the first and the second?

goosey

Postby goosey » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:19 am

beach_terror wrote:
goosey wrote:we have practice questions in crim...they are graded but dont count towards our grade.

What was the subject matter of the first and the second?

first one was omission, 2nd one was pretty much mens rea [ie. statute says actor has to recklessly xyz...presumption for xyz if he knowingly abc.."]

There is not a single mark on my entire paper, except a paragraph at the end that says I oversimplified and overcomplicated the question, that I should take apart the statute [which I thought I did, but I guess I fail at that], and that I missed an important issue.

Its really scary because thus far, everything I received feedback on was good..and this is like, WAY below median. And its not like I got over-confident...I worked just as hard, if not harder on this one. I dont get it :(

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:53 pm

Just be thankful it didn't count.

Also, is it sad that I want that poster :lol:? I need all the help in K's that I can get.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:33 pm

keg411 wrote:Just be thankful it didn't count.

Also, is it sad that I want that poster :lol:? I need all the help in K's that I can get.

haha me too but i ain't payin $40 or whatever for it, that's for sure.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:57 pm

I just got absolute burned. I mean BURNED. in my class. This wasn't just a "nobody will remember you stumbled through the facts" this was an "epically wrong answer to every question" burn, in a 120 person class.

My heart is still racing from the extreme failage.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:58 pm

I really like that poster but I don't wanna spend the money. And I don't really need a "poster," I just want a sheet like that to study from. Any idea where I could find something like that?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:23 pm

Mid term in 40 minutes, oh boy.

Cmoss

Postby Cmoss » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:32 pm

romothesavior wrote:I really like that poster but I don't wanna spend the money. And I don't really need a "poster," I just want a sheet like that to study from. Any idea where I could find something like that?

save the files and take it to a local print shop. $5 max.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:17 pm

Cmoss wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I really like that poster but I don't wanna spend the money. And I don't really need a "poster," I just want a sheet like that to study from. Any idea where I could find something like that?

Tried this. The print is too small on the files and if you zoom in it blurs :(. They probably do it purposely so you have to shell out the $40. I have to admit if it was like $15-20 I would have probably bought it already :lol:.

goosey

Postby goosey » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:38 pm

delBarco wrote:I just got absolute burned. I mean BURNED. in my class. This wasn't just a "nobody will remember you stumbled through the facts" this was an "epically wrong answer to every question" burn, in a 120 person class.

My heart is still racing from the extreme failage.

i feel like a bad person for wanting details about this

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:46 pm

keg411 wrote:
Cmoss wrote:

Tried this. The print is too small on the files and if you zoom in it blurs :(. They probably do it purposely so you have to shell out the $40. I have to admit if it was like $15-20 I would have probably bought it already :lol:.

Yeah it sucks, they look really helpful and concise. I'm really big on conciseness when I'm studying. I hate muddling my brain with a whole bunch of unnecessary stuff. Argh... I want one!

Cmoss

Postby Cmoss » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:25 am

keg411 wrote:Tried this. The print is too small on the files and if you zoom in it blurs :(

So a magnifying glass wouldnt help :lol:

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:44 pm

I just got my first memo back and I am completely average, exactly on the median. What's worst, is aside from fixing some gramatical errors and rephrasing a few sentences, it doesn't seem like there is all that much I can do to improve.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:12 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:I just got my first memo back and I am completely average, exactly on the median. What's worst, is aside from fixing some gramatical errors and rephrasing a few sentences, it doesn't seem like there is all that much I can do to improve.

Based on every conversation I have ever had with a 2L or 3L (both IRL and on TLS), this is to be expected of LP. The difference between memos is minimal, making the curve very tight.

Just take your B and move on with it. That's what I'm going to do. My focus will be on my three 4-credit classes, not on my one 1-credit class.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:17 pm

romothesavior wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:I just got my first memo back and I am completely average, exactly on the median. What's worst, is aside from fixing some gramatical errors and rephrasing a few sentences, it doesn't seem like there is all that much I can do to improve.

Based on every conversation I have ever had with a 2L or 3L (both IRL and on TLS), this is to be expected of LP. The difference between memos is minimal, making the curve very tight.

Just take your B and move on with it. That's what I'm going to do. My focus will be on my three 4-credit classes, not on my one 1-credit class.

+2.

LoLRW

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:41 pm

I like LAWR. It kind of makes me feel like a freak :oops: .

KIM_SAYS:

Postby KIM_SAYS: » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:03 pm

Does anyone else here completely freeze when they get called on? I got called on in civ pro today and completely froze and blanked out...what made it worse is that I just had to state the facts. It took me forever to even understand what the prof was asking. I could hear people muttering because they all probably knew the answers. :roll: I just can't THINK when I'm put on the spot like that in front of that many people. I've never been so mortified.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:41 pm

Maybe this only works at my school. but,

When I got put on the spot today i said uh..and stared at the teacher. Then I said "I don't know" and kept staring at her. She stared back at me. I stared at her. She stared back at me. Went on for a good bit and then she just gave up and called someone else for the rest of class.

Didn't bother me too much.
I think people take the embarassment thing to seriously. Especially because the guy thats so excited to be able to recite the facts when you mess up isn't going to be so excited after exams when he sees how helpful it was to know the facts in some random ass case from the 1940s.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:41 pm

the library is way too crowded for 1040 at night.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”