Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
romothesavior

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby romothesavior » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:49 pm

traehekat wrote:thoughts on googling cases for a brief before/after you read them?

That's pretty much the extent of my prep for property.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:50 pm

rad law wrote:
traehekat wrote:thoughts on googling cases for a brief before/after you read them?

I take some notes in my book, then look up a brief to fill in the stuff that's not 100% essential (facts, proc. pos.), and then maybe I'll throw some rules that I found in the case in there too to make it my own. Saves time.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:01 pm

good, glad im not the only one lol.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:11 pm

traehekat wrote:good, glad im not the only one lol.

So much of it just depends on the profs. Everyone said that before LS and I have found it to be SO true. My profs are just so wildly different in every meaningful way... personalities, ages, teaching styles, backgrounds, preferences, exams, etc. As such, I prep and study for their classes differently, and I imagine the way I prep and study for their exams will differ wildly as well.

So for torts, I read every word and focus closely on facts, because our prof is a stickler and will tear students apart in class if they are off-base. For property, our prof will accept just about any rational string of words that comes out of a student's mouth as the correct answer, so I don't feel like prepping for his class is a big deal (I just Google the cases in case I get called on and I read the supplement so I understand the material).For Ks, my prep falls somewhere in the middle... I do the readings because we have weekly quizzes, but I just skim and get the main idea because he assigns a shitload of pages each night.

Bottom line: do what works for you in each class. As long as you feel like you can follow along during the class period and you're getting the material, you'll be fine. Don't feel like you've gotta "keep up with the Joneses," because what works for your peers may not work for you and may end up being nothing but added work.

stocksly33

Postby stocksly33 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:02 am

wow. tonight we had our reading on joinder, pleader, etc. We had like 15 rules to read along with assigned reading. The intro bit generally stating what the rules do was cake... but after reading like the third actual rule (in their entirety), i started going cross-eyed and throwing shit. I'm hoping Glannon can work it out.

Bustang

Postby Bustang » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:16 am

stocksly33 wrote:wow. tonight we had our reading on joinder, pleader, etc. We had like 15 rules to read along with assigned reading. The intro bit generally stating what the rules do was cake... but after reading like the third actual rule (in their entirety), i started going cross-eyed and throwing shit. I'm hoping Glannon can work it out.

Glannon's bit on joinder of parties/claims (13, 14, 18, 19, 20, 24) is very helpful.

The State Farm case I just read about interpleader (Rule 22) makes me want to shoot my face, however.

Melkaba

Postby Melkaba » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:27 pm

romothesavior wrote:
traehekat wrote:good, glad im not the only one lol.

So much of it just depends on the profs. Everyone said that before LS and I have found it to be SO true. My profs are just so wildly different in every meaningful way... personalities, ages, teaching styles, backgrounds, preferences, exams, etc. As such, I prep and study for their classes differently, and I imagine the way I prep and study for their exams will differ wildly as well.

So for torts, I read every word and focus closely on facts, because our prof is a stickler and will tear students apart in class if they are off-base. For property, our prof will accept just about any rational string of words that comes out of a student's mouth as the correct answer, so I don't feel like prepping for his class is a big deal (I just Google the cases in case I get called on and I read the supplement so I understand the material).For Ks, my prep falls somewhere in the middle... I do the readings because we have weekly quizzes, but I just skim and get the main idea because he assigns a shitload of pages each night.

Bottom line: do what works for you in each class. As long as you feel like you can follow along during the class period and you're getting the material, you'll be fine. Don't feel like you've gotta "keep up with the Joneses," because what works for your peers may not work for you and may end up being nothing but added work.

WUSTL Section D or F student, I see.

But yeah, I do agree. It really comes down to the teaching styles of your professors and exactly how much they want you to get out of each lesson. Since I have not bought a supplement yet, however, I go by the approach of close-reading + briefing + google/Lexis brief as a refresher or as an intro. While it's not required by any means to closely read the cases for two out of three of the main courses due to how the professors don't look for such close interpretations in students, and it's definitely not required to brief all of them, I feel like this method works for me. I personally treat finding all the nuances as a kind of game (even though it mostly results in a lot more time spent than otherwise, but I'm fine with this method). If one simply just searches for briefs of google, then that's no better or worse than other methods if it works for you.

Edit: Instead of double-posting, I do have something to contribute to the entire stress part.

Man, contracts quiz was kinda of a de-moralizer. I felt pretty awesome going into it, under the presumption that the stuff covered will be from the previous quiz up to the stuff we had to prepare for the current class. ... But half of the questions were stuff covered on like the first and second day of class (and one question was a massive trick question; funny in hindsight, but also funny for the fact that almost the entire class exclaimed "...WHAT?!" when the professor read the answer. Given how badly I bombed (and seemingly a fair amount of people, but I shouldn't use that as an excuse for my poor performance/lack of preparation/whatever caused me to misstep), this is actually the first time where I felt absolutely frustrated and hopeless with something in LS. I know it's just a quiz, but man.

Eh. This is definitely going to be a night filled mostly with video games to relieve frustration.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:24 pm

Google before reading the case. Don't bother even looking at the whole brief. Just read the Rule or rule of law or whatever they call it. After reading about five or six of them, write down a summary of what you think makes sense. Then read it. After reading it double check to make sure the rule makes sense. Then add the rule to your outline.
This is the most efficent way to study in my opinion.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:10 pm

Melkaba wrote:WUSTL Section D or F student, I see.

Perhaps. :lol: Do you feel the same with respect to how different our professors are? I think it also sucks that none of the 2Ls or 3Ls have had them, meaning we are kinda on our own.

And do we know each other?

Melkaba wrote:Man, contracts quiz was kinda of a de-moralizer. I felt pretty awesome going into it, under the presumption that the stuff covered will be from the previous quiz up to the stuff we had to prepare for the current class. ... But half of the questions were stuff covered on like the first and second day of class (and one question was a massive trick question; funny in hindsight, but also funny for the fact that almost the entire class exclaimed "...WHAT?!" when the professor read the answer. Given how badly I bombed (and seemingly a fair amount of people, but I shouldn't use that as an excuse for my poor performance/lack of preparation/whatever caused me to misstep), this is actually the first time where I felt absolutely frustrated and hopeless with something in LS. I know it's just a quiz, but man.

I doubt you did as bad you as you think you did. I'm guessing 6 or so was the median. And keep in mind that he drops our lowest score and we have plenty more quizzes to go. But yeah, he was definitely looking to trip people up. Which one in particular were you referring to? Question 5 really made me :evil:, mostly because I knew the answer but I didn't stop and really think about what the question was getting at. Also, WTF was up with question 2? I got it right but it was a pure guess... I had no idea WTF was up with that one.

I feel I was well-prepared, but for me it just came down to getting tripped up by his wording or rushing to a conclusion after reading the question. I don't feel like I need to beat myself up for how I did... I just need to slow down and focus on the questions.

Oban

Postby Oban » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:44 am

Yeah my section at Wustl sounds completely different. The amount of work per professor varies widely though, along with their teaching styles. In K i have pages of notes, kind of in an outline form. In property i just keep writing down "policy" in my class notebook.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:05 am

Probably can ask the professor this, but I'll ask you guys too. We didn't talk much about defense of a third person in torts, and we really just have the Restatement to go on, which is the "reasonable belief" approach, which comes into play with mistaken defense of other problem. Glannon notes there is a minority view that, regardless of reasonable belief, the actor steps into the shoes of the third party and can only use ... blah blah blah. Question is, given that we haven't discussed this minority view and it wasn't part of any assigned reading, should I include it in my outline?

Melkaba

Postby Melkaba » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:16 am

romothesavior wrote:
Perhaps. :lol: Do you feel the same with respect to how different our professors are? I think it also sucks that none of the 2Ls or 3Ls have had them, meaning we are kinda on our own.

And do we know each other?

Yeah, it definitely feels like our sections are kinda at a disadvantage in this regard. I guess some part of that ambiguity is mitigated simply due to how the professors for property and torts are at least fairly straight forward with everything. Contracts is another beast entirely, at this point.

And as for the other question, perhaps, but maybe not. PM me about that one.

romothesavior wrote:
I doubt you did as bad you as you think you did. I'm guessing 6 or so was the median. And keep in mind that he drops our lowest score and we have plenty more quizzes to go. But yeah, he was definitely looking to trip people up. Which one in particular were you referring to? Question 5 really made me :evil:, mostly because I knew the answer but I didn't stop and really think about what the question was getting at. Also, WTF was up with question 2? I got it right but it was a pure guess... I had no idea WTF was up with that one.

I feel I was well-prepared, but for me it just came down to getting tripped up by his wording or rushing to a conclusion after reading the question. I don't feel like I need to beat myself up for how I did... I just need to slow down and focus on the questions.

I guessed for the second question. I got it right, but I still don't understand why that's the case even after searching through the notes. Yeah, I definitely could have saved myself on at least two of the questions if I slowed down a little bit and not allow myself to get caught up in his wording (for instance, I'm sure I could have gotten the illusionary promise question right if I had noticed the "you" part of the question). Question 5 (which I'm assuming was the reliance and consideration question) was evil. I pretty much thought to myself "Well... this case was decided through estoppel and not consideration.. but why in the world would he put consideration in quotations and why would he include 'sufficient'?" For a quiz that requires really close reading, putting consideration in quotations or not like that really changes the entire meaning of the question. The main problem here is separating tricky and precise wording from mere grammatical mistakes that the prof makes from time to time.

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:23 pm

I hope at least 75% of my section is fkn up civ pro worse than I am

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:37 pm

Crim midterm on Wednesday. Holllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly crap.

Working my ass off for it though.

TTH

Postby TTH » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:38 pm

Anyone else have a hard time focusing in their last class of the day? I have Civ Pro four days a week at 3:55 and I swear most times I wind up playing flash games. I hate it, but it's like I completely fog over and am incapable of paying attention. :(

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:18 pm

Man, it feels good finishing up an outline that you've been obsessive in writing/re-writing over and over to include everything that seems important.... and then manage to memorize pretty much all the important points of law in the process.

Now, to the practice tests (and possibly another read through GTM).

inchoate_con

Postby inchoate_con » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:39 pm

MURPH wrote:

Google before reading the case. Don't bother even looking at the whole brief. Just read the Rule or rule of law or whatever they call it. After reading about five or six of them, write down a summary of what you think makes sense. Then read it. After reading it double check to make sure the rule makes sense. Then add the rule to your outline.

Why not just read the head notes in westlaw(next)? Nice succinct summaries with links to the relevant discussion in the opinion. Wish I knew that before spending way too much on supplements.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:12 pm

I just found out people in my section have started memorizing the U.C.C. . . . umm . . . yeah.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:19 pm

inchoate_con wrote:
MURPH wrote:

Why not just read the head notes in westlaw(next)? Nice succinct summaries with links to the relevant discussion in the opinion. Wish I knew that before spending way too much on supplements.

Westlaw headnotes are good, but they're not that helpful for preparing for class. They usually hit on a couple of different issues and can be way too specific for prepping for class. Online casebriefs and Wikipedia are much better because they focus in on the main reason the case was assigned to you for that specific class.

inchoate_con

Postby inchoate_con » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:38 pm

Short on time, I got burned using a single case from a Google search, so now, I use the casenote briefs. However, as I've become more proficient at reading the cases, headnotes are working comparably from review. I'm such a slow fucking reader, I thought I was retarded for awhile. Anyhow, the obvious answer to whomever asked the question, "use what works for you."

Amy wineBerry

Postby Amy wineBerry » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:47 am

TTH wrote:Anyone else have a hard time focusing in their last class of the day? I have Civ Pro four days a week at 3:55 and I swear most times I wind up playing flash games. I hate it, but it's like I completely fog over and am incapable of paying attention. :(

I feel your pain. I have contracts at 2:30 on MW and although I like the subject and class, at 3 o'clock, my brain checks out.

Melkaba

Postby Melkaba » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:35 am

Stanford4Me wrote:I just found out people in my section have started memorizing the U.C.C. . . . umm . . . yeah.

That's.... pretty intense.

inchoate_con

Postby inchoate_con » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:56 pm

Melkaba wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:I just found out people in my section have started memorizing the U.C.C. . . . umm . . . yeah.

and a giant waste of time...

Ersatz Haderach

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:10 pm

inchoate_con wrote:
Melkaba wrote:

and a giant waste of time...

I felt gunnerish importing it into Onenote...why memorize it?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:36 pm

I am aware that the UCC exists, and I think that is probably all I need to know about it for purposes of my Ks class.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”