Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
robin600

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby robin600 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:45 am

Melkaba wrote:My current musing: Personally, I never would have thought that studying 5-6 (maybe 7 on a good day) hours every day (including weekends) would be too little studying for anything ever. Now I feel guilty and/or a slacker when talking to students who study 12 hours straight on each weekend days and/or stay up to 1 AM studying after class. Hell, I feel guilty enough that I try to take an hour/hour and a half for video-gaming/me-time/trying to clutch onto what little life I have each day when I can. I also talked to some people who already started working on their outline (and one person's was about 20 pages already).

Do you understand the material? If someone asked you a question about adverse possession could you name the elements and apply them? If so you get it move on. Don't let people scare you. It usually only takes me 30 mins. or so to read through a 3 page case and brief it. I have yet to miss an essential issue of a case in my briefs/notes. I'm not going to spend more time than I have to doing something I already understand.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:58 am

robin600 wrote:Do you understand the material? If someone asked you a question about adverse possession could you name the elements and apply them? If so you get it move on.

TCR.

+1.

+180.

This.

Etc.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:59 am

Just started proximate cause. Now I can't say i've never been confused by torts. Betasteve halp??

Edit: quoth my torts teacher: What do we do with GOD? with acts of God? does GOD cause evil in the world? Do we hold HIM liable??

slider

Postby slider » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:07 am

All I can say is that I hope Rule 12 (Civil Procedure) dies in a chemical fire. that is all.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:43 am

slider wrote:All I can say is that I hope Rule 12 (Civil Procedure) dies in a chemical fire. that is all.

FTFM

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:45 am

Man. I'm loving Civ Pro, but Contracts is eating me alive.

Also, uh... I don't even have Torts this semester.

slider

Postby slider » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:59 pm

keg411 wrote:
slider wrote:All I can say is that I hope Rule 12 (Civil Procedure) dies in a chemical fire. that is all.

FTFM

I concur with this fix. :mrgreen:

Baylan

Postby Baylan » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:02 pm

Started "The Battle of the Forms" today in Ks.

F. M. L.

Hour and a half lecture that had nothing to do with our reading for the week... and he didn't ask or take a question.

Puzzle me perplexed.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:10 pm

My Ks professor sent out a practice problem last week and it took me longer than I expected to do it, and I still wasn't confident when I submitted it. Now I'm worrying like crazy.

slider

Postby slider » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:58 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:My Ks professor sent out a practice problem last week and it took me longer than I expected to do it, and I still wasn't confident when I submitted it. Now I'm worrying like crazy.

graded?

stocksly33

Postby stocksly33 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:58 am

somedays do you feel like you bust you ass and only manage to get like 4 hour of studying in (on top of your 4 hours of class)?

I feel like all i did was law school today and only managed to study for 4-4.5 hours. i didn't dick around either, the hours just seem to disappear.

Ersatz Haderach

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:15 am

stocksly33 wrote:somedays do you feel like you bust you ass and only manage to get like 4 hour of studying in (on top of your 4 hours of class)?

I feel like all i did was law school today and only managed to study for 4-4.5 hours. i didn't dick around either, the hours just seem to disappear.

I dick around constantly. I just don't sleep. It all equals out. Except that I'll be dead at 46.

stocksly33

Postby stocksly33 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:24 am

Ersatz Haderach wrote: I dick around constantly. I just don't sleep. It all equals out. Except that I'll be dead at 46.

how much do you sleep? i get 6.5 on week days and 8-9 on the weekend days.

Ersatz Haderach

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:26 am

stocksly33 wrote:
Ersatz Haderach wrote: I dick around constantly. I just don't sleep. It all equals out. Except that I'll be dead at 46.

how much do you sleep? i get 6.5 on week days and 8-9 on the weekend days.

4-5 on weekdays, 7-8 on weekends. It's not that bad.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:27 am

Baylan wrote:Started "The Battle of the Forms" today in Ks.

F. M. L.

Hour and a half lecture that had nothing to do with our reading for the week... and he didn't ask or take a question.

Puzzle me perplexed.

Do you guys get copies of the Restatement and/or UCC? Is it standard operating procedure for Contracts professors to require these? We are required to have them and I have to say BOF isn't TOO bad if you have the rules laid out right in front of you, along with the comments plus the E&E. It can be a little tough though to understand when things get bumped out of one (1) and into (2) or (3) or something. Plus it doesn't help that I think 2-207 (2) (a) is redundant of 2-207 (1) after the comma, if I remember that shit correctly.

How difficult it is may also relate to what cases you have to read that is supposed to illustrate 2-207. We did Ionics, which all things considered, seems clear enough. I've heard other cases are tougher, though.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:22 am

slider wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:My Ks professor sent out a practice problem last week and it took me longer than I expected to do it, and I still wasn't confident when I submitted it. Now I'm worrying like crazy.

graded?

No, thank God. Had a review over it yesterday and now I feel much more confident about how she wants us to approach her questions.

Baylan

Postby Baylan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:13 pm

traehekat wrote:
Baylan wrote:Started "The Battle of the Forms" today in Ks.

F. M. L.

Puzzle me perplexed.

Do you guys get copies of the Restatement and/or UCC? Is it standard operating procedure for Contracts professors to require these? We are required to have them and I have to say BOF isn't TOO bad if you have the rules laid out right in front of you, along with the comments plus the E&E. It can be a little tough though to understand when things get bumped out of one (1) and into (2) or (3) or something. Plus it doesn't help that I think 2-207 (2) (a) is redundant of 2-207 (1) after the comma, if I remember that shit correctly.

How difficult it is may also relate to what cases you have to read that is supposed to illustrate 2-207. We did Ionics, which all things considered, seems clear enough. I've heard other cases are tougher, though.

Were required to purchase a copy of Byrne's restatement & copy of the UCC. Felt a *lot* better after today's lecture, but we still haven't discussed any of the cases that we read for the week. We read Dorton, Itoh, Northrop, Step-saver, ProCD, and Hill. So our battle of the forms reading had a very tech-centric feel to it, with many of the cases involving user licensing agreements rather than a more traditional "battle of the forms" type experience.

The bumping back and forth is obviously one of the most complicated things. Once he finally got to the explanation of the Knockout Doctrine, it made interpretations of what should happen a lot less confusing.

Lion8974

Postby Lion8974 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:46 pm

One of my substantive class layouts is: 15% participation grade, 25% brief/assignment grade, and 60% for the final. I've been to every class and answer a question here and there, but as far as the briefs and assignments go I feel screwed. I've turned in all briefs and assignments that were required. Professor doesn't give a letter or percentage grade but he "bumps your grade up or down based on each assignment". The quality of my assignments I have turned in is poor because I thought we were being checked for participation. How screwed?

-- I made an appointment to go see professor during office hours.

summerstar

Postby summerstar » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:55 pm

...just have to know, is any one else taking this madness called CrimPro where criminal procedure is packed into first half of fall semester, before we even touch Crim Law in the second half?

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:11 pm

clintonius wrote:Man. I'm loving Civ Pro, but Contracts is eating me alive.

exact opposite experience for me. partially i think it's because i'm being taught contracts with the heavy use of basic microeconomics (could be wrong, but i think it's commonly taught that way?) and i'm an econ major. civ pro tho...shit makes me want to go godzilla in class and start stomping up and down the aisles.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:23 pm

I'm also getting a massive dose of econ, but I don't understand a bit of it, and it comes at me at about a million words per minute. Half of those words are inaudible. Usually the ones that come right after "And the MOST important part is..."

Out of curiosity, what're you doing in each class? My civ pro prof started with due process, and we're now onto pleadings and answers. No jurisdiction until the end of the semester. We started on damages in contracts and are still there.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:37 pm

my civ pro's following a wacky format. we started with jurisdiction, moved onto remedies (which i don't think are normally part of civ pro proper), then we did pleadings, and now we're doing discovery.

in contracts we started with consideration, side tripped into agency, moved on towards promissory estoppel, did a little bit of implied in law contracts/statute of frauds stuff, now were on duress.

in torts we started with basic definitions of negligence, went on to negligence per se, went on to res ipsa loquitur, and we're right now doing the various kinds of contributory/comparative negligence.

in crim we started with common law actus reus, moved onto common law mens rea, and now we're doing model penal code mens rea.

in lrw we started with high spirits, and we moved on towards murderous hatred.

i tend to think that as 1Ls we should all be doing stuff that covers a similar scope, but i could be hugely wrong on that.
Last edited by dailygrind on Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:38 pm

dailygrind wrote:in lrw we started with high spirits, and we moved on towards murderous hatred.

QFT

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:44 pm

thoughts on googling cases for a brief before/after you read them?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:49 pm

traehekat wrote:thoughts on googling cases for a brief before/after you read them?

I take some notes in my book, then look up a brief to fill in the stuff that's not 100% essential (facts, proc. pos.), and then maybe I'll throw some rules that I found in the case in there too to make it my own. Saves time.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”