Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
go4hls
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:18 pm

Re: The Gunner Thread

Postby go4hls » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:56 pm

inchoate_con wrote:Here's a quick intro for OneNote, and how I use it for law school. It's totally over the top, but I'm an organizational freak with too much time….

From the example below, I have three notebooks (Civ Pro, Contracts, and Property - red box)

I have selected chapter three, which lists reading topics, cases, major points, etc. This is the current screen. The yellow box contains the pages within this section. These pages are for notes, briefs, outlines, etc. You can create pages as you type with wiki links ([[…] ]) The green box is the search function that searches this entire notebook (or all notebooks) with an option like word (ctrl+F) for each page.

Another feature I like is linking to webpages. At D(e), those link to Fed P. Civ. P. Rules. Currently, I'm adding links to supplements, which will go next to topics. It may appear disorganized, but it is not. The outline comes together quickly.

I'll have to create a tutorial to explain the "really" useful functions for drag and drop outlining, searching and tagging briefs, linking to outlook (tasks and emails created from OneNote),and numerous other options. By the way, I created this with OneNote.

--ImageRemoved-- (LinkRemoved)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us


WOW, that actually looks awesome. Please do create a tutorial. My classes start in 2 weeks, and I need all the help I can get!

User avatar
SwollenMonkey
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:28 am

Re: The Gunner Thread

Postby SwollenMonkey » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:00 pm

traehekat wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:What are you guys doing for outlines?


Like, formating or scheduling?


Anything and everything.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: The Gunner Thread

Postby traehekat » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:16 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:
traehekat wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:What are you guys doing for outlines?


Like, formating or scheduling?


Anything and everything.


Well, I plan on doing my outlining on the weekends, pretty much every weekend. I also have OneNote so I'll be doing everything in there (no linking or anything though, obviously). I'm not exactly sure how I am going to format everything just yet. The typical suggestions include organization reflective of your casebook, or maybe a supplement, or the outline of a former student of the professor, etc.

I really enjoyed LEEWS, so forgive me for continuing to plug it, but I think the toolbox analogy will be useful in forming an outline. Basically, you want everything in your outline to be a tool you can use in taking practice exams. Everything you do, basically, should be geared towards the final exam, so naturally that includes the outlining process. If you don't think it will be something useful for the exam, then don't include it. I'm also planning on doing a kind of "compartment" organization, which will hopefully allow me to turn a larger outline into something very bare bones but organized well enough that everything I need to know is triggered by looking at one compartment. This should come in particularly handy on closed book exams where you will need to quickly recreate your outline in the first couple minutes so you still have you checklist when doing issue spotting.

EDIT: Here is a screenshot of my OneNote layout. I will probably add a section for hypotheticals for each class, and I'm sure other things will change as I actually get into the semester. Otherwise it is pretty simple, I think, and based on another TLS user's I saw a while back.

Image

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7235
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: The Gunner Thread

Postby beach_terror » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:24 pm

I think I'm doing all my note taking in One Note, but when it comes to the outline, I think I'll do that in Word. I'd like to keep them separate for some reason.

User avatar
SwollenMonkey
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:28 am

Re: The Gunner Thread

Postby SwollenMonkey » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:36 pm

inchoate_con wrote:Here's a quick intro for OneNote, and how I use it for law school. It's totally over the top, but I'm an organizational freak with too much time….

From the example below, I have three notebooks (Civ Pro, Contracts, and Property - red box)

I have selected chapter three, which lists reading topics, cases, major points, etc. This is the current screen. The yellow box contains the pages within this section. These pages are for notes, briefs, outlines, etc. You can create pages as you type with wiki links ([[…] ]) The green box is the search function that searches this entire notebook (or all notebooks) with an option like word (ctrl+F) for each page.

Another feature I like is linking to webpages. At D(e), those link to Fed P. Civ. P. Rules. Currently, I'm adding links to supplements, which will go next to topics. It may appear disorganized, but it is not. The outline comes together quickly.

I'll have to create a tutorial to explain the "really" useful functions for drag and drop outlining, searching and tagging briefs, linking to outlook (tasks and emails created from OneNote),and numerous other options. By the way, I created this with OneNote.



This is great organization. I'm doing something along these lines now that I've seen your pic. One Note is truly customizable!

User avatar
Matteliszt
Posts: 1301
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:38 pm

Re: The Gunner Thread

Postby Matteliszt » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:45 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:
inchoate_con wrote:Here's a quick intro for OneNote, and how I use it for law school. It's totally over the top, but I'm an organizational freak with too much time….

From the example below, I have three notebooks (Civ Pro, Contracts, and Property - red box)

I have selected chapter three, which lists reading topics, cases, major points, etc. This is the current screen. The yellow box contains the pages within this section. These pages are for notes, briefs, outlines, etc. You can create pages as you type with wiki links ([[…] ]) The green box is the search function that searches this entire notebook (or all notebooks) with an option like word (ctrl+F) for each page.

Another feature I like is linking to webpages. At D(e), those link to Fed P. Civ. P. Rules. Currently, I'm adding links to supplements, which will go next to topics. It may appear disorganized, but it is not. The outline comes together quickly.

I'll have to create a tutorial to explain the "really" useful functions for drag and drop outlining, searching and tagging briefs, linking to outlook (tasks and emails created from OneNote),and numerous other options. By the way, I created this with OneNote.




This is great organization. I'm doing something along these lines now that I've seen your pic. One Note is truly customizable!




Thanks for sharing that with us! Awesome!

How many of you guys have got your list of classes + reading so far? I have, I am moving in on Tuesday will probably pick up books Thursday. School doesn't start for 2 weeks for me.

User avatar
SwollenMonkey
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:28 am

Re: The Gunner Thread

Postby SwollenMonkey » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:02 am

Matteliszt wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:
inchoate_con wrote:Here's a quick intro for OneNote, and how I use it for law school. It's totally over the top, but I'm an organizational freak with too much time….

From the example below, I have three notebooks (Civ Pro, Contracts, and Property - red box)

I have selected chapter three, which lists reading topics, cases, major points, etc. This is the current screen. The yellow box contains the pages within this section. These pages are for notes, briefs, outlines, etc. You can create pages as you type with wiki links ([[…] ]) The green box is the search function that searches this entire notebook (or all notebooks) with an option like word (ctrl+F) for each page.

Another feature I like is linking to webpages. At D(e), those link to Fed P. Civ. P. Rules. Currently, I'm adding links to supplements, which will go next to topics. It may appear disorganized, but it is not. The outline comes together quickly.

I'll have to create a tutorial to explain the "really" useful functions for drag and drop outlining, searching and tagging briefs, linking to outlook (tasks and emails created from OneNote),and numerous other options. By the way, I created this with OneNote.




This is great organization. I'm doing something along these lines now that I've seen your pic. One Note is truly customizable!




Thanks for sharing that with us! Awesome!

How many of you guys have got your list of classes + reading so far? I have, I am moving in on Tuesday will probably pick up books Thursday. School doesn't start for 2 weeks for me.


I have readings for one course and a writing assignment for LW. My classes are in! I'm expecting more reading assignments next week, and I'll be in full swing the week after.

As far as outlining is concerned, I'm going to create an outline that has everything written on it. By everything, I mean class notes, personal notes (horn books, E&Es, possibly commercial case briefs and commercial outlines), and outside non-class notes (notes from study groups, if any). This outline, I'll call a base outline, will be filtered out as the semester progresses into another more concise outline. From here, I'll create a master outline for exams. I'll make adjustments as I go along - need room for error and intuition.

User avatar
inchoate_con
Posts: 209
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:58 pm

Re: The Gunner Thread

Postby inchoate_con » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:21 am

beach_terror wrote:I think I'm doing all my note taking in One Note, but when it comes to the outline, I think I'll do that in Word. I'd like to keep them separate for some reason.


Do you use the collapse and drag & drop functions? I've found when you collapse the topic headings, it's a great workout for memorizing it for closed book exams.

By the way, I'm a 1L, but started in the summer, so this has been used before.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: The Gunner Thread

Postby sibley » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:28 am

inchoate_con wrote:
beach_terror wrote:I think I'm doing all my note taking in One Note, but when it comes to the outline, I think I'll do that in Word. I'd like to keep them separate for some reason.


Do you use the collapse and drag & drop functions? I've found when you collapse the topic headings, it's a great workout for memorizing it for closed book exams.

By the way, I'm a 1L, but started in the summer, so this has been used before.


best mac alternative? =/

User avatar
inchoate_con
Posts: 209
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:58 pm

Re: The Gunner Thread

Postby inchoate_con » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:31 am

I think it's evernote.

User avatar
Matteliszt
Posts: 1301
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:38 pm

Re: The Gunner Thread

Postby Matteliszt » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:35 am

sibley wrote:
inchoate_con wrote:
beach_terror wrote:I think I'm doing all my note taking in One Note, but when it comes to the outline, I think I'll do that in Word. I'd like to keep them separate for some reason.


Do you use the collapse and drag & drop functions? I've found when you collapse the topic headings, it's a great workout for memorizing it for closed book exams.

By the way, I'm a 1L, but started in the summer, so this has been used before.


best mac alternative? =/


Sorry to hear :(

User avatar
legalease9
Posts: 623
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: The Gunner Thread

Postby legalease9 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:40 am

.
Last edited by legalease9 on Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
doyleoil
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:59 pm

Re: The Gunner Thread

Postby doyleoil » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:42 am

this thread sucks a fucking dick

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: The Gunner Thread

Postby sibley » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:43 am

inchoate_con wrote:I think it's evernote.


It doesn't let you click wherever you want. I want to be able to click wherever I want. Maybe I'll do vmware crap.

User avatar
SwollenMonkey
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:28 am

Re: The Gunner Thread

Postby SwollenMonkey » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:43 am

legalease9 wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:I find it highly ironic that you title this the "gunner thread" but u specify in the OP that this is not for the people who have already outlined 4 E&Es and plan to raise their hand all the time. Unfortunately, that is the exact definition of a gunner.


This!


Ever since watching The Watchmen, your tar scares me.

User avatar
SwollenMonkey
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:28 am

Re: The Gunner Thread

Postby SwollenMonkey » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:44 am

doyleoil wrote:this thread sucks a fucking dick


Is that Billy Bob Thornton as your tar?

User avatar
legalease9
Posts: 623
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: The Gunner Thread

Postby legalease9 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:46 am

SwollenMonkey wrote:
legalease9 wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:I find it highly ironic that you title this the "gunner thread" but u specify in the OP that this is not for the people who have already outlined 4 E&Es and plan to raise their hand all the time. Unfortunately, that is the exact definition of a gunner.


This!


Ever since watching The Watchmen, your tar scares me.


Just don't tell me to "Do It!" and you should be fine...

User avatar
soaponarope
Posts: 169
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:02 pm

Re: The Gunner Thread

Postby soaponarope » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:47 am

Love the idea of this thread... but, just change the title so the blowhards would STFU already. I personally don't give a shit what you call it, but... apparently some just have to chime in with their opinions (gunners, IMO).

User avatar
SwollenMonkey
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:28 am

Re: The Gunner Thread

Postby SwollenMonkey » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:50 am

soaponarope wrote:Love the idea of this thread... but, just change the title so the blowhards would STFU already. I personally don't give a shit what you call it, but... apparently some just have to chime in with their opinions (gunners, IMO).


The title is good as it is at the moment because it serves as a beacon to those that may be lost in the sea of information in this forum. The beacon may also attract others that may at first not like the idea, but may in the future contribute or benefit from the thread.

User avatar
BioEBear2010
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: The Gunner Thread

Postby BioEBear2010 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:53 am

Is OneNote Mac-compatible? If not, what similar programs can be used on a Mac? I'm certainly not in gunner-mode right now, but let's just say I'm a little gunner-curious.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: The Gunner Thread

Postby sibley » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:58 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:Is OneNote Mac-compatible? If not, what similar programs can be used on a Mac? I'm certainly not in gunner-mode right now, but let's just say I'm a little gunner-curious.


no =( there's nothing decent. Notebook is ok but still meh. I'm thinking of going the vmware route.
or suffer with something boring like open office until october when office 2011 is supposed to come out... and pray it's there and not some stupid web app.
Last edited by sibley on Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Matteliszt
Posts: 1301
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:38 pm

Re: The Gunner Thread

Postby Matteliszt » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:04 am

sibley wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:Is OneNote Mac-compatible? If not, what similar programs can be used on a Mac? I'm certainly not in gunner-mode right now, but let's just say I'm a little gunner-curious.


no =( there's nothing decent. Notebook is ok but still meh. I'm thinking of going the vmware route.



Sibley and Bio why dont you just get bootcamp and run onenote? You may have to get bootcamp anyway for test software.

User avatar
Duralex
Posts: 447
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:25 pm

Re: The Gunner Thread

Postby Duralex » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:10 am

I'm going to hang these up opposite the crapper:

--ImageRemoved--
--ImageRemoved--

or maybe on the ceiling over my bed.


In all seriousness, I think the motivation for the thread is laudable even if it is perhaps not optimally named.

http://legalbooksdistributing.com/sc_pi ... tracts.asp if you actually want the posters, btw.
Last edited by Duralex on Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: The Gunner Thread

Postby sibley » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:11 am

Matteliszt wrote:
sibley wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:Is OneNote Mac-compatible? If not, what similar programs can be used on a Mac? I'm certainly not in gunner-mode right now, but let's just say I'm a little gunner-curious.


no =( there's nothing decent. Notebook is ok but still meh. I'm thinking of going the vmware route.



Sibley and Bio why dont you just get bootcamp and run onenote? You may have to get bootcamp anyway for test software.


Not as good as vmware. and I can run the test software on mac

User avatar
skoobily doobily
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:40 pm

Re: The Gunner Thread

Postby skoobily doobily » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:13 am

Any alternative name suggestions then?




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests