Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
burtonrideclub

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby burtonrideclub » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:36 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
keg411 wrote:My K's briefs are even smaller
Same here. Some of those cases, the ones included in order to emphasize one simple rule, don't require a "full" brief. I spend a lot more effort extracting relevant facts from civ pro readings. (Prof writes "FACTS" on the board every day.)

So you have Mullenix also.

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:45 pm

burtonrideclub wrote:
philosoraptor wrote:
keg411 wrote:My K's briefs are even smaller
Same here. Some of those cases, the ones included in order to emphasize one simple rule, don't require a "full" brief. I spend a lot more effort extracting relevant facts from civ pro readings. (Prof writes "FACTS" on the board every day.)

So you have Mullenix also.
Yep, she's a trip. I think you and I are both in 3A.

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:25 am

beach_terror wrote:I was looking at a canned brief to supplement my Intl Shoe reading some. I lol'd at a bullet point at the end, which I don't know if it was meant to be a joke or serious: Washington did not make the argument that the salesmen could have theoretically made sales to one-legged people.

That is awesome. I thought though that no sales at all were being done in Washington . . . even if they happened to be one-legged. Truthfully I felt bad for Intl. Shoe, they went through all that trouble just to avoid jurisdiction, and what happens? Some goody-two-shoes judge decides to add a clause to Pennoyer and give it to Washington anyways

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:35 am

skoobily doobily wrote:
beach_terror wrote:I was looking at a canned brief to supplement my Intl Shoe reading some. I lol'd at a bullet point at the end, which I don't know if it was meant to be a joke or serious: Washington did not make the argument that the salesmen could have theoretically made sales to one-legged people.

That is awesome. I thought though that no sales at all were being done in Washington . . . even if they happened to be one-legged. Truthfully I felt bad for Intl. Shoe, they went through all that trouble just to avoid jurisdiction, and what happens? Some goody-two-shoes judge decides to add a clause to Pennoyer and give it to Washington anyways

Well, a fact that wasn't in my case was that Intl. Shoe only gave their sales reps left shoes instead of both (making sure that they couldn't make a sale and implicate the company).

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:22 am

skoobily doobily wrote:

They weren't making sales as in you could go to one of the displays and walk away with shoes. But they would take orders from people in Washington, the orders were sent to the headquarters in St. Louis and then St. Louis would ship the shoes to the people who ordered them directly (whether they were in Washington or somewhere else). The part about them only having left shoes wasn't in my casebook :(.

rdcws000

Postby rdcws000 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:46 am

Question on understanding BLL (and yes I did read through the past couple pages, but don't have time to read the whole thread). If this has been asked and answered, sue me.

I am doing OK at pulling out the rules of law from the cases. My question is, do I need to be able to state the specific restatement #, or just understand the rule in it? I've been including the restatement #s, statute names, etc in my notes. Is this necessary?

Duralex

Postby Duralex » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:57 am

I've been recording the same information, but haven't decided how much to memorize yet. Taking it down is easy enough.

I'm guessing it may vary by class: It seems like knowing the restatement or code section number might be more important for K's than torts.

rdcws000

Postby rdcws000 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:06 am

I'm hoping it's just the rule we need to retain for the exams.

I read GTM and it suggested NOT restating law in exam answers (which would entail the name of the rule/law doesn't matter) but I'd like to find out if there are any other reasons (besides maybe Bar prep) to name rules, beyond just understanding them.

deneuve39

Postby deneuve39 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:10 am

rdcws000 wrote:Question on understanding BLL (and yes I did read through the past couple pages, but don't have time to read the whole thread). If this has been asked and answered, sue me.

I am doing OK at pulling out the rules of law from the cases. My question is, do I need to be able to state the specific restatement #, or just understand the rule in it? I've been including the restatement #s, statute names, etc in my notes. Is this necessary?

This is a good question, and my answer is that it sort of depends on the professor and the class. For civ pro, you need to know the rules and every subsection of the rules and be able to cite to them on the exam. For contracts, my prof put particular emphasis on knowing the Restatement (and the differences b/w the Restatement and the common law), so I studied them enough to cite them on the exam. For torts, again this is perhaps the most prof-specific, but we did need to know how the Restatement differed in substantive ways from the common law and why it differed--BUT this is the class where I cited the Restatement the least on the exam.

So, for now, I think it's a good idea to put them in your notes b/c it's hard to tell which Restatement sections are super important and which you probably won't need to cite at the beginning on the semester. But when you're outlining and have a better sense of what you need to know for the exam, you'll be thankful you were over-inclusive in your notes.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:00 pm

rdcws000 wrote:I'm hoping it's just the rule we need to retain for the exams.

I read GTM and it suggested NOT restating law in exam answers (which would entail the name of the rule/law doesn't matter) but I'd like to find out if there are any other reasons (besides maybe Bar prep) to name rules, beyond just understanding them.

This is one thing that appears to be in conflict with LEEWS. LEEWS suggests stating the law when you begin discussion of a new issue. So if you are going to begin a discussion of a possible battery, you being with simply stating the rule. This alerts the professor to exactly what issue you are discussing. It is kind of an organization exercise.

Some professors will tell you specifically not to state the law, however. Obviously in this case, you do not state the law. But I think you kind of indirectly state it when you are intertwining facts and law in your discussion of issues.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:15 pm

There's so many damn gunners in my section, sometimes it feels like the jungles of Vietnam.

bleedcubbieblue

Postby bleedcubbieblue » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:24 pm

I have read all of the cases, but quickly, just to get the general ideas. I have yet to do a brief (and I don't plan to), I've pulled all of mine from various sources on the net.

I scored a great outline from a 3L that got A's in my profs classes. It basically follows to the T exactly what the professor is covering that day in class. I add notes to the outline that I find to be important. I also add notes to the outline as I read the corresponding sections(s) in the E & E's, which I consider to be my class textbooks. I also use the library copies of the "understanding" series books.

So basically at the end of the semester, I will have covered all of the topics 3 times: once in class, once with the E & E's, and once with the understanding books, which should lead to an even more solid outline come December.

I plan to mix in doing cali lessons, my profs old practice tests, and various hypos along the way to get familiar with how to write an exam. I also went over LEEWS and I highly recommend it. I'm basically trying to follow a program similar to what Arrow laid out.

Anyone else doing similar things to me?

Duralex

Postby Duralex » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:27 pm

bleedcubbieblue wrote:

I'm basically trying to follow a program similar to what Arrow laid out.

Anyone else doing similar things to me?

Yes.

sccjnthn

Postby sccjnthn » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:58 pm

I've been following the recommendations as well. Only issue so far has been finding case summaries. I bought 4 of the high court summaries but there doesn't seem to be summary book tied to my contracts casebook.

Is there somewhere else I should be looking online?

Also my library doesn't seem to have too many old tests for professors, is there an alternate source for these?

bleedcubbieblue

Postby bleedcubbieblue » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:01 pm

I find the briefs on http://www.lawnix.com/cases/ tend to hit most of the main points. I have also used lexis and some google searches.

sccjnthn wrote:I've been following the recommendations as well. Only issue so far has been finding case summaries. I bought 4 of the high court summaries but there doesn't seem to be summary book tied to my contracts casebook.

Is there somewhere else I should be looking online?

Also my library doesn't seem to have too many old tests for professors, is there an alternate source for these?

I would ask your professor if he/she has any to provide. If not, this is a great link. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12526

revolution724

Postby revolution724 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:22 pm

sccjnthn wrote:Also my library doesn't seem to have too many old tests for professors, is there an alternate source for these?

Some professors hand them out later in the semester. My Torts prof handed out a bunch about six weeks before the end of the semester.

revolution724

Postby revolution724 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:12 pm

OH, pro tip: sign up for Lexis and Westlaw points. You'll use them when doing your assignments for Legal Writing, and you can get free stuff. Sure, they're exploiting you, but you might as well exploit them back.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:44 pm

revolution724 wrote:OH, pro tip: sign up for Lexis and Westlaw points. You'll use them when doing your assignments for Legal Writing, and you can get free stuff. Sure, they're exploiting you, but you might as well exploit them back.

How do you get them?

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:45 pm

kalvano wrote:
revolution724 wrote:OH, pro tip: sign up for Lexis and Westlaw points. You'll use them when doing your assignments for Legal Writing, and you can get free stuff. Sure, they're exploiting you, but you might as well exploit them back.

How do you get them?

Search for at least one case per day. You get 10 points each time you do it.

revolution724

Postby revolution724 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:14 pm

Thirteen wrote:
kalvano wrote:

How do you get them?

Yeah, that. You can sign up for them on the Lexis and Westlaw law school pages and you get them from pulling up documents. Not just cases, but statutes and probably secondary sources too. There are also extra training sessions you can attend to get bonus points.

--LinkRemoved--

http://lawschool.westlaw.com/ - should have a Rewards thing on the splash page.

I am partial to the Starbucks gift cards. 715 points = free $10 worth of trendy but mediocre food and coffee, awwyeah.

inchoate_con

Postby inchoate_con » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:51 pm

Thirteen wrote:
kalvano wrote:

How do you get them?

It must not work with WestlawNext. I'm searching daily without racking up points.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:21 am

Thirteen wrote:
kalvano wrote:

How do you get them?

That's cool. You can get a lot of stuff if you save them for three years.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:02 pm

kalvano wrote:
Thirteen wrote:
kalvano wrote:

How do you get them?

That's cool. You can get a lot of stuff if you save them for three years.

Favoriting this.

Duralex

Postby Duralex » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:47 pm

My hobby this week: downloading the restatements in full text PDF format so I can feed them to my database. I can't imagine how much all of the crap like that I've been doing would cost on a real law firm subscription, LOL.

inchoate_con

Postby inchoate_con » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:13 pm

Duralex wrote:My hobby this week: downloading the restatements in full text PDF format so I can feed them to my database. I can't imagine how much all of the crap like that I've been doing would cost on a real law firm subscription, LOL.

You mean something like this:
--ImageRemoved-- (LinkRemoved)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”