Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
soaponarope

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby soaponarope » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:23 am

nm
Last edited by soaponarope on Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:24 am

revolution724 wrote:
sibley wrote:
revolution724 wrote:
sibley wrote:
The genius one is ok but I am not inviting her out to lunch anytime soon as she suggested we do.

Inviting HER out to lunch? When I was a 1L, at an otherwise penny-pinching school, the professors asked US (in groups) out to lunch once a semester.

She told us we'd be going dutch.

I suppose you'll be saying next that you don't get free cupcakes.

I think that does happen. They gave us a lot of free alcohol already so I think they'll follow the cupcake standard. One professor =/= whole school. Plus it's a 100 person class so she's not gonna take us all out....

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:25 am

soaponarope wrote:nm

well is it or isn't it!?

Either way... I mean bs advice/consolation is just as good as real advice/consolation half the time.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:01 am

I'm sad the title was changed. Also, all of my professors that I have met so far (this is still orientation) have been extremely nice. My Lawyering professor (research/writing) is overly nice...like...extremely nice. Let me say, though, that groceries are way too expensive in NYC. I miss Texas...haha

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:02 am

Orientation is misleading and fun and full of booze.

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:40 am

wtf i never posted in a thread named unworthy

revolution724

Postby revolution724 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:59 am

sibley wrote:
I think that does happen. They gave us a lot of free alcohol already so I think they'll follow the cupcake standard. One professor =/= whole school. Plus it's a 100 person class so she's not gonna take us all out....

I should clarify. At my school, the school gives the 1L professors money and orders them to take groups of students out and get to know them. Not every professor does it, though, I think it's done in turns or something.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:10 pm

sibley wrote:Got destroyed by my genius prof today. Pretty literally. Thought she'd realize that some of us wouldn't be as smart of her. Thought she'd let me off of the hook after the first three questions should have helped her figure out that I clearly read the case but couldn't grasp the concept she suggested in class. Thought she'd understand that maybe a more productive use of my time (and the class's) in that situation would be to listen and take notes and attempt to grasp. Want to shoot self in head. No motivation for homework... only for tossing arms in air and returning to hometown. My crim law professor, while excessively verbose and :. slightly evil, would understand. Detrimented self worth --> crime. Crime=shooting self in head?

Chrome is telling me detrimented isn't a word. But my professors say it's ok to make up words now.

Relax.

What you say in class is slightly more important than what color shoes you wear. It is all about the exam. Everyone is going to mess up, everyone is going to say stupid things, everyone is going to feel unprepared at times. The key to success is not to be overwhelmed by what goes on in class, and the key to doing that is to focus on the prize: the exam. Your focus shouldn't be preparation for the barrage of questions from the prof; your focus should be on understanding the material and being prepared for the exam. I had a convo with a 2L the other day and he told me that he was rarely prepared for class and one of his profs really didn't like him because he spent far more time reviewing after class than he did preparing for the class. Guess what? He got the second highest grade in the class.

You'll be fine.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:11 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:Orientation is misleading and fun and full of booze.

This for sure.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:35 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Orientation is misleading and fun and full of booze.

This for sure.

Whereas law school is misleading, not fun, and only possibly full of booze.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:39 pm

sibley wrote:
traehekat wrote:
sibley wrote:what? I liked it.

haha, which part?

The whole thing. Especially where there are going to be rainbows and maybe a Jack Johnson concert or two in spring semester.
...really though. I am depressed. freaking 60 hours of homework and I still experience complete social humiliation? It helped.

How do you already have 60 hours of homework? Even if I wanted to, I wouldn't be able to come up with that much reading and work to do for my classes so far.

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:06 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
sibley wrote:
traehekat wrote:
sibley wrote:what? I liked it.

haha, which part?

The whole thing. Especially where there are going to be rainbows and maybe a Jack Johnson concert or two in spring semester.
...really though. I am depressed. freaking 60 hours of homework and I still experience complete social humiliation? It helped.

How do you already have 60 hours of homework? Even if I wanted to, I wouldn't be able to come up with that much reading and work to do for my classes so far.

I got a professor who wanted to be a sociologist. And then I read everything assigned. And then my head exploded.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:36 am

What's a good way to track progress? If a professor goes over the reading and cases, and what they said corresponds with the notes you made and their main point about the case is what you pulled from it, is that a sign that you're doing OK?

Is there anything else you can use to track your progress and make sure you're learning what you're supposed to be learning?

Duralex

Postby Duralex » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:46 am

The inability, by and large, to gauge your progress and predict your performance is what makes law school law school, supposedly. It really does feel strange. In a remarkably unpleasant way.

revolution724

Postby revolution724 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:49 am

kalvano wrote:
Is there anything else you can use to track your progress and make sure you're learning what you're supposed to be learning?

Nope. You can get a study group and compare your understanding with a few peers, if that makes you feel better (and it's a good idea anyway).

sibley

Postby sibley » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:49 am

kalvano wrote:What's a good way to track progress? If a professor goes over the reading and cases, and what they said corresponds with the notes you made and their main point about the case is what you pulled from it, is that a sign that you're doing OK?

My professor said something that's obvious but still good to remember: If the heading of the unit is about a certain topic and your notes and knowledge, after learning that unit, don't address that topic, then something's wrong.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:12 am

sibley wrote:
kalvano wrote:What's a good way to track progress? If a professor goes over the reading and cases, and what they said corresponds with the notes you made and their main point about the case is what you pulled from it, is that a sign that you're doing OK?

My professor said something that's obvious but still good to remember: If the heading of the unit is about a certain topic and your notes and knowledge, after learning that unit, don't address that topic, then something's wrong.

Heh, interesting advice. I've been kind of wondering what our knowledge should be of the general topic being covered. For instance, in discussing offers, you are going to have a number of cases which illustrate offers, but perhaps none of them will lay out all the elements of an offer or some nuances explicitly.

I suppose this is where supplements come in to "fill in the gaps."

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:16 am

LOL dumb noobz talking about lawl skool instead of just reading arrow's guide and following it blindly!

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:33 am

It's the first weekend, I told myself I would outline every weekend, but I'm not sure how I feel about it for this one . . .

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:00 am

edited
Last edited by romothesavior on Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

sibley

Postby sibley » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:03 am

romothesavior wrote:
skoobily doobily wrote:It's the first weekend, I told myself I would outline every weekend, but I'm not sure how I feel about it for this one . . .

I wish there was a way to remove this thread from my "View Your Posts." The things people say ITT make me :lol: , :shock: , and :roll: . Mostly :roll: though.

Then just don't read it. Expressing oneself and feeling solidarity is good for mental health. Plus, "Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here" .... unworthy is in the title. So is rants. 1L ones. So hush... or be nice and supportive. Either one.

Duralex

Postby Duralex » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:39 am

skoobily doobily wrote:It's the first weekend, I told myself I would outline every weekend, but I'm not sure how I feel about it for this one . . .

I'm starting this weekend, going into week 3, and I'm not excited about it. But I've got a midterm in a month, so, yeah.

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:46 am

romothesavior wrote:

I wish there was a way to remove this thread from my "View Your Posts." The things people say ITT make me :lol: , :shock: , and :roll: . Mostly :roll: though.

You rolls your eyes as if 45 hours of learning (in which entire subjects have already been covered, intentional torts) isn't enough to start an outline, as if it would be dumb to rephrase everything when it is clear and fresh in your mind, and like it wouldn't be 2-3 hours of work less to do later in the semester as the workload progressively gets harder.

I roll my eyes right back at you good sir.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:48 am

skoobily doobily wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

You rolls your eyes as if 45 hours of learning (in which entire subjects have already been covered, intentional torts) isn't enough to start an outline, as if it would be dumb to rephrase everything when it is clear and fresh in your mind, and like it wouldn't be 2-3 hours of work less to do later in the semester as the workload progressively gets harder.

Yeah I'm sorry, I guess I was just in a grouchy mood when I posted that earlier this morning (it was right when I woke up). I wasn't really directing that at you necessarily, just kind of a general observation of this thread in general. I think week 1 or 2 is too early to begin outlining since you don't really know where the direction of the class is going at this point, but I still should have checked the rudeness at the door.

I still love you Skoobs, sorry.

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:55 am

romothesavior wrote:
skoobily doobily wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Yeah I'm sorry, I guess I was just in a grouchy mood when I posted that earlier this morning (it was right when I woke up). I wasn't really directing that at you necessarily, just kind of a general observation of this thread in general. I think week 1 or 2 is too early to begin outlining since you don't really know where the direction of the class is going at this point, but I still should have checked the rudeness at the door.

You fended off my trap well. Since I have already finished outline through this AND next weeks class, I thought I could use the rest of Saturday to practice negging other 1L's out of beneficial methods of exam preparation so that I may masterfully mold the curve to my benefit in real life.

I still love you Skoobs, sorry.

It's all cool bro

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”