Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
beach_terror

Re: The Gunner Thread

Postby beach_terror » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:59 pm

Yeah I used a few online briefs to supplement it along the way, and still had a ton of loose ends when I was done. The case is written in half latin and half asshole.

skoobily doobily

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby skoobily doobily » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:44 pm

I'm so happy with my professor who very clearly explained exactly what the deal was with the case and exactly what we needed to take away from it.

Also, more friendly title

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:54 pm

Got destroyed by my genius prof today. Pretty literally. Thought she'd realize that some of us wouldn't be as smart of her. Thought she'd let me off of the hook after the first three questions should have helped her figure out that I clearly read the case but couldn't grasp the concept she suggested in class. Thought she'd understand that maybe a more productive use of my time (and the class's) in that situation would be to listen and take notes and attempt to grasp. Want to shoot self in head. No motivation for homework... only for tossing arms in air and returning to hometown. My crim law professor, while excessively verbose and :. slightly evil, would understand. Detrimented self worth --> crime. Crime=shooting self in head?

Chrome is telling me detrimented isn't a word. But my professors say it's ok to make up words now.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:11 pm

sibley wrote:Got destroyed by my genius prof today. Pretty literally. Thought she'd realize that some of us wouldn't be as smart of her. Thought she'd let me off of the hook after the first three questions should have helped her figure out that I clearly read the case but couldn't grasp the concept she suggested in class. Thought she'd understand that maybe a more productive use of my time (and the class's) in that situation would be to listen and take notes and attempt to grasp. Want to shoot self in head. No motivation for homework... only for tossing arms in air and returning to hometown. My crim law professor, while excessively verbose and :. slightly evil, would understand. Detrimented self worth --> crime. Crime=shooting self in head?

Chrome is telling me detrimented isn't a word. But my professors say it's ok to make up words now.

haha, no worries. it happens to everyone. i've heard a number of students struggle and at no point am i ever thinking "wow what an idiot!" its definitely more like "man, i do not envy them right now, because i wouldn't be able to do much better"

revolution724

Postby revolution724 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:27 pm

Get used to ego-nuking, it happens a lot.

DeSimone

Postby DeSimone » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:30 pm

sibley wrote:Got destroyed by my genius prof today. Pretty literally. Thought she'd realize that some of us wouldn't be as smart of her. Thought she'd let me off of the hook after the first three questions should have helped her figure out that I clearly read the case but couldn't grasp the concept she suggested in class. Thought she'd understand that maybe a more productive use of my time (and the class's) in that situation would be to listen and take notes and attempt to grasp. Want to shoot self in head. No motivation for homework... only for tossing arms in air and returning to hometown. My crim law professor, while excessively verbose and :. slightly evil, would understand. Detrimented self worth --> crime. Crime=shooting self in head?

I wouldn't count on profs letting anyone off the hook once they sense a weakness.

btw, apparently, "privity" is not a part of the English language, either, according to Word (and Chrome).

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:36 pm

I must go the the anti-law school.

All of my profs are pretty nice, most are fairly amusing, and while they don't seem to shy away from pointed questions, they haven't even come close to even giving the appearance of trying to humiliate anybody.

One even said "I don't know" is an acceptable answer, provided you've demonstrably read the materials and are just having trouble understanding it.

orko60

Postby orko60 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:41 pm

kalvano wrote:I must go the the anti-law school.

All of my profs are pretty nice, most are fairly amusing, and while they don't seem to shy away from pointed questions, they haven't even come close to even giving the appearance of trying to humiliate anybody.

One even said "I don't know" is an acceptable answer, provided you've demonstrably read the materials and are just having trouble understanding it.

We must go to the same place. I'm loving it so far.

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:59 pm

I'm right with you Kal, my professors are incredibly, encouraging and not at all humiliating. There is nothing resembling a gunner in my section. This law school thing just might work out . . .

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:10 pm

The good thing is you got kicked around early when no one knows what the hell is going on. There is a pretty good chance she won't cold call you again for months. Unless she is a sadist and she really enjoyed watching you suffer. Then she might do it tomorrow too. But probably not. You should be good for a few months.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:36 pm

are we just pretending that the name of this thread didn't change?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:40 pm

He acknowledged the change. Way to read carefully there, Mr. 1L.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:40 pm

kalvano wrote:He acknowledged the change. Way to read carefully there, Mr. 1L.

still can't find it. I rule.

edit: oh, I was wondering what "more friendly title" meant. I thought he was talking about the case. Again, I rule.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:42 pm

skoobily doobily wrote:I'm so happy with my professor who very clearly explained exactly what the deal was with the case and exactly what we needed to take away from it.

Can you see it now?

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:45 pm

I approve of this title.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:45 pm

kalvano wrote:
skoobily doobily wrote:I'm so happy with my professor who very clearly explained exactly what the deal was with the case and exactly what we needed to take away from it.

Can you see it now?

Is it behind that big red type? Lemme get my glasses.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:51 pm

Sucks to be old.

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:07 am

kalvano wrote:I must go the the anti-law school.

Thanks to those of you who didn't make me regret my school choice... and thanks to disco for that 1L-dont-worry thread.

The prof who decided the class should see what my intestines looked like said once "Feel free to pass if you've been [trampled] in an earlier class"

One of my profs is awesome. In addition to watching the Little Mermaid with us, he didn't make me feel ridiculous for suggesting Ariel could find another true love rather than attempt to get out of her contract with Ursula should Eric die. But really I was being very reasonable. No way Ursula would let her off the hook if he died. Just mayyyybe if there was another guy.

The genius one is ok but I am not inviting her out to lunch anytime soon as she suggested we do. Unless I email her asking if I can please record her lectures so that when I die in class I can review later and in response she makes my self esteem whole. But she did tell us no matter how many death stares we give her she still can't sue us... so I guess... well maybe she is nice depending on her emails. We'll see.

One, though! Oh man. "Wrong." Or... he'll just ignore you and call on someone else. He's got a high-rank and I guess that may come with the territory. But I like him! Because he isn't cold calling this week! <3 that.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:09 am

sibley wrote:... and thanks to disco for that 1L-dont-worry thread.

Err...

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:11 am

what? I liked it.

revolution724

Postby revolution724 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:15 am

sibley wrote:
The genius one is ok but I am not inviting her out to lunch anytime soon as she suggested we do.

Inviting HER out to lunch? When I was a 1L, at an otherwise penny-pinching school, the professors asked US (in groups) out to lunch once a semester.

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:15 am

revolution724 wrote:
sibley wrote:
The genius one is ok but I am not inviting her out to lunch anytime soon as she suggested we do.

Inviting HER out to lunch? When I was a 1L, at an otherwise penny-pinching school, the professors asked US (in groups) out to lunch once a semester.

She told us we'd be going dutch.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:16 am

sibley wrote:what? I liked it.

haha, which part?

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:18 am

traehekat wrote:
sibley wrote:what? I liked it.

haha, which part?

The whole thing. Especially where there are going to be rainbows and maybe a Jack Johnson concert or two in spring semester.
...really though. I am depressed. freaking 60 hours of homework and I still experience complete social humiliation? It helped.

revolution724

Postby revolution724 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:19 am

sibley wrote:
revolution724 wrote:
sibley wrote:

She told us we'd be going dutch.

I suppose you'll be saying next that you don't get free cupcakes.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”