Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
stonepeep

Re: The Gunner Thread

Postby stonepeep » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:02 am

skoobily doobily wrote:
stonepeep wrote:
I'm trying to figure out why the Torts E&E has no mention of False imprisonment, trespass to land, trespass to chattels, or conversion. Something tells me i'm missing something??

Some professors do not cover intentional torts. Why, I don't know, but it must be a pretty common approach for Glannon to have ignored them in his book. Intentional torts are also really, really easy in comparison with negligence.

So having the black letter law and the casenotes is generally sufficient preparation for the exam, is what you're saying?

I think so. If your torts final were heavily focused on intentional torts you might want to refer to a supplement, but stuff like trespass to land/chattels is really straightforward and it's hard for me to imagine a supplement telling you anything you didn't already learn in class.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:14 am

kalvano wrote:I have straight-up traditional formats. One exam, 100% of the grade.

And LW is a cast-iron bitch. Assignments due every class.

Kalvano is a wealth of impossibly fantastic expressions. Does it come from being a Texan?

I feel left behind on this thread because my first class isn't until Monday. I've done reading for Contracts and Criminal Law but that's it so far. Twiddling my thumbs.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:15 am

Have I referred to anything as "the bee's knees"?

I love that one.

MiamiUG

Postby MiamiUG » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:02 am

tag

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:54 am

Burger in a can wrote:
kalvano wrote:I have straight-up traditional formats. One exam, 100% of the grade.

And LW is a cast-iron bitch. Assignments due every class.

Kalvano is a wealth of impossibly fantastic expressions. Does it come from being a Texan?

I feel left behind on this thread because my first class isn't until Monday. I've done reading for Contracts and Criminal Law but that's it so far. Twiddling my thumbs.

Yes, it does.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:47 am

I'm not a Texan, you bastards.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:53 am

kalvano wrote:I'm not a Texan, you bastards.

I'm texan and I take offense

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:44 am

So apparently light interference on a property is not a trespass to land, but undetectable metallic particles are. Even if they both result in provable damages. Got it.

john titor

Postby john titor » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:25 am

skoobily doobily wrote:So apparently light interference on a property is not a trespass to land, but undetectable metallic particles are. Even if they both result in provable damages. Got it.

wht do you mean by "light interference"? do you mean interference that isnt severe or a blocking of the sun's rays?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:38 pm

How do you figure? Were you not raised there?

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:48 pm

john titor wrote:
skoobily doobily wrote:So apparently light interference on a property is not a trespass to land, but undetectable metallic particles are. Even if they both result in provable damages. Got it.

wht do you mean by "light interference"? do you mean interference that isnt severe or a blocking of the sun's rays?

light rays reflecting from racetrack stadium lights onto a drive-in movie theater causing poor display resulting in a loss of business.

Note: this is not important. I'm just venting at my first set a of cases that sequentially contradict each other.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:55 pm

romothesavior wrote:

Born and raised. Still not a Texan.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:11 pm

Anyone else have Hawkins v. McGee as their first case in Contracts?
--ImageRemoved--

john titor

Postby john titor » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:16 pm

skoobily doobily wrote:
john titor wrote:

light rays reflecting from racetrack stadium lights onto a drive-in movie theater causing poor display resulting in a loss of business.

Note: this is not important. I'm just venting at my first set a of cases that sequentially contradict each other.

that's nuisance which is just a different tort.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:24 pm

kalvano wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Yes you are.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:51 pm

romothesavior wrote:
kalvano wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Yes you are.

No he's not.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:52 pm

Yes. He is.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:25 pm

romothesavior wrote:
kalvano wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Yes you are.

Bite me. I'm not a fucking Texan. I renounce any and all claim to my Texan-ness.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:39 pm

Also, I finally gave in and started typing my notes. Too many professors are too disorganized, and I got tired of them going back to some topic from the beginning of class.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:53 pm

Is law school making anyone else bipolar? At one moment I feel like I'm "getting it" and the next I'm totally lost. It's probably partially because of the stylistic differences of my profs though. Bleh.

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:56 pm

keg411 wrote:Is law school making anyone else bipolar? At one moment I feel like I'm "getting it" and the next I'm totally lost. It's probably partially because of the stylistic differences of my profs though. Bleh.

I'm glad we share so many sentiments, although typically that bipolarness is a result of going from studying torts to doing LWRAP assignments.

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:11 pm

kalvano wrote:Also, I finally gave in and started typing my notes. Too many professors are too disorganized, and I got tired of them going back to some topic from the beginning of class.

they assume everyone uses a laptop. long gone are the days of the organized, concise, three-point lecture.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:17 pm

jayn3 wrote:
kalvano wrote:Also, I finally gave in and started typing my notes. Too many professors are too disorganized, and I got tired of them going back to some topic from the beginning of class.

they assume everyone uses a laptop. long gone are the days of the organized, concise, three-point lecture.

I, and about 3 other people, were the only handwriters. I'm still worried about retention, but I guess I'll make do.

Ironically, I write much faster than I type.

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:20 pm

kalvano wrote:
jayn3 wrote:

I, and about 3 other people, were the only handwriters. I'm still worried about retention, but I guess I'll make do.

Ironically, I write much faster than I type.

is this an appropriate time to make another joke about how old you are?

to be fair, i'd handwrite if i thought it was feasible. i know for a fact i retain info better when i write than when i type. i'm just hoping constantly rereading, re-organizing, and adding to my notes will make the difference.

saucie

Postby saucie » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:31 pm

I changed from handwriting my notes to typing them and it sucks. I feel like I'm not really there in class. Could possibly be from Facebook, but I want to go back to handwriting.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”