Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
TCScrutinizer

Re: The Gunner Thread

Postby TCScrutinizer » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:36 pm

So when does this law school shit get hard?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:10 pm

TCScrutinizer wrote:So when does this law school shit get hard?

When you start with the Civ Pro.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:42 pm

kalvano wrote:

I started with Crim and was having fun, then moved on to Contracts. Maybe not hard, but certainly not fun.

Kurt Cobain

Postby Kurt Cobain » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:44 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
Kurt Cobain wrote:
skoobily doobily wrote:I’m starting a thread for us c/o 2013 students to help each other, not to just get through law school, but to get through as high in the class as we can.

Bro, you get high before class?

I want to get mad at you for making a lame joke but your avatar and screen name are too powerful.

can't... resist... repressed...... teenage........hero worship......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5vXdbGtzLI&feature=related

Can you feel my love buzz?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:46 pm

kalvano wrote:

Reading Torts/Contracts after CivPro always makes it seem like a breather. We had to do Pennoyer for day #1. /killself

However, I'll admit that I like reading the notes after the cases; they always seem to have interesting information/questions to think about. I feel like there's something inherently wrong with me in enjoying that so far :oops: .

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:50 pm

keg411 wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Reading Torts/Contracts after CivPro always makes it seem like a breather.
Also, I like reading the notes after the cases. I feel like there's something inherently wrong with me in enjoying that :oops: .

Hey Keg! How's it going? Good to see you here! Where did you end up choosing to go to school?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:57 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
keg411 wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Reading Torts/Contracts after CivPro always makes it seem like a breather.
Also, I like reading the notes after the cases. I feel like there's something inherently wrong with me in enjoying that :oops: .

Hey Keg! How's it going? Good to see you here! Where did you end up choosing to go to school?

I ended up at Rutgers-Camden. Combination of a bunch of reason (most of which include cost and family reasons). It's kind of been an emotional rollercoaster so far, but I'd say 90% of that is my own fault (and has little to do with school itself) :).

I also hope that the rest of my classmates stopped posting because I don't want them to see me turn up in the Gunner Thread :lol:.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:05 am

keg411 wrote: I ended up at Rutgers-Camden. Combination of a bunch of reason (most of which include cost and family reasons). It's kind of been an emotional rollercoaster so far, but I'd say 90% of that is my own fault (and has little to do with school itself) :).

I also hope that the rest of my classmates stopped posting because I don't want them to see me turn up in the Gunner Thread :lol:.

So far this is sort of more a Type-A Nerd thread than an actual gunner thread. Anyway, I remember you from the RU-Newark thread last winter. I'm surprised that you didn't end up there, but Camden is pretty close!

Ok I will seriously cease my thread hijacking now.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:48 am

Burger in a can wrote:Ok I will seriously cease my thread hijacking now.

The scope of this thread is large. Small talk is certainly permitted. :P

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:04 pm

keg411 wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Reading Torts/Contracts after CivPro always makes it seem like a breather. We had to do Pennoyer for day #1. /killself

However, I'll admit that I like reading the notes after the cases; they always seem to have interesting information/questions to think about. I feel like there's something inherently wrong with me in enjoying that so far :oops: .

So far nothing else has had the power to destroy my confidence the way trying to understand the justice's comments on pennoyer has.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:13 pm

skoobily doobily wrote:
So far nothing else has had the power to destroy my confidence the way trying to understand the justice's comments on pennoyer has.

I haven't read it yet for school, but the wikipedia article made my eyelids feel heavy after the second paragraph! Is it bad that my brain's response to complex material is to hurl itself into a deep, comatose nap? I'm scared. :| and so sleepy
Last edited by Burger in a can on Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

john titor

Postby john titor » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:14 pm

when you get your first set of grades back

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:17 pm

skoobily doobily wrote:So far nothing else has had the power to destroy my confidence the way trying to understand the justice's comments on pennoyer has.

That was the very first case I read for school since CivPro was my first class. It made me go :| .

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:22 pm

So glad I don't have Civ Pro until the Spring.

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:37 pm

I'm trying to figure out why the Torts E&E has no mention of False imprisonment, trespass to land, trespass to chattels, or conversion. Something tells me i'm missing something??

Matteliszt

Postby Matteliszt » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:43 pm

So my prop class has pretty much a hypo question in every reading set up. He gave us some reading + some supplemental for everything, and in each supplemental package there is a hypo. I suppose I should take note and think that he is going to be pretty hypo based?

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:46 pm

Two of my three exams will likely include multiple choice sections. Does anyone know the supplement that is geared toward helping with professors who give MC exams?

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:57 pm

traehekat wrote:Two of my three exams will likely include multiple choice sections. Does anyone know the supplement that is geared toward helping with professors who give MC exams?

The Glannon Guide to... series is set up that way. For example:

The Glannon Guide to Civil Procedure

I haven't gotten the one I ordered yet, but I think that's what you're looking for.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:04 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:
traehekat wrote:Two of my three exams will likely include multiple choice sections. Does anyone know the supplement that is geared toward helping with professors who give MC exams?

I haven't gotten the one I ordered yet, but I think that's what you're looking for.

Hey! You don't know me, but I am so excited to see that you are going to a great school! I was following your cycle and I was really hoping that things would work out for you. It looks as though they have!

(apologies again to this thread- it seems I keep recognizing online acquaintances here)

Matteliszt

Postby Matteliszt » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:11 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:24 pm

Burger in a can wrote:Hey! You don't know me, but I am so excited to see that you are going to a great school! I was following your cycle and I was really hoping that things would work out for you. It looks as though they have!

(apologies again to this thread- it seems I keep recognizing online acquaintances here)

Thanks, burger!

stonepeep

Postby stonepeep » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:15 pm

Depends what subject it is. If Civ Pro, then the Glannon Guide all the way. For other subjects, you might want to look around some.

Glannon himself did not write the "Glannon Guide to Torts" (for example) so I don't know if it's any good. I mean, it could be, but what makes the Glannon books good is Glannon himself. Personally, I used the "Q&A" series to study for Torts multiple choice and found it quite useful. I believe that Kaplan also has multiple choice books for many subjects, and from what I recall, a bunch of people used the Kaplan book to study for our torts exam, and found it helpful. The BarBri first year review book has MC questions for most (all?) of the first-year subjects. BarBri gave out the 1st year review book for free to 1Ls who signed up for their bar course - you sign up now to lock in your price for the course after you graduate.

Definitely the best way to practice for a MC test is to do many MC questions.

I'm trying to figure out why the Torts E&E has no mention of False imprisonment, trespass to land, trespass to chattels, or conversion. Something tells me i'm missing something??

Some professors do not cover intentional torts. Why, I don't know, but it must be a pretty common approach for Glannon to have ignored them in his book. Intentional torts are also really, really easy in comparison with negligence.

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:41 pm

stonepeep wrote:

Some professors do not cover intentional torts. Why, I don't know, but it must be a pretty common approach for Glannon to have ignored them in his book. Intentional torts are also really, really easy in comparison with negligence.

So having the black letter law and the casenotes is generally sufficient preparation for the exam, is what you're saying?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:34 pm

We have some multiple choice in Contracts and I plan on using the first year BarBri book for that since my sister gave me hers (advantage of being second sibling to do something for once: free supplements FTW).

One thing I've found interesting is that in 2/3 of my substantive courses we don't just have one exam. We have 6 in Contracts and my Torts professor added a mid-term starting this year. Both gave the reasoning that they felt that their classes were becoming less and less about learning the law and how to analyze the law and more about who was able to just "take the best test" without getting any feedback or idea of how they were doing along the way and that students were frustrated by that. I don't know if this is a growing trend or just at my school, but it's kind of interesting (I'm not sure if the other section has any professors like that).

They've also all talked about banning laptops in class and that apparently that's a growing trend as well because they found all of the internet use/computer game playing in class to be "disrespectful".

Anyone else notice anything interesting like that?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:57 pm

I have straight-up traditional formats. One exam, 100% of the grade.

And LW is a cast-iron bitch. Assignments due every class.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”