Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Burger in a can

Re: The Gunner Thread

Postby Burger in a can » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:25 pm

"You tell me that I make no difference
At least I'm fuckin' trying!!!

What the fuck have you done?"

(inspired by inchoate_con's great avatar)

((actually, considering the overwhelming quantity of preppy kids on this site, inchoate_con might be the only one who recognizes that quote!))
Last edited by Burger in a can on Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:25 pm

TTH wrote:
traehekat wrote:
MrKappus wrote:There is a hilariously massive amount of hard (not smart) working ITT.

Illuminating, thank you.

I think there is more of a massive amount of figuring out the right way to work and working too hard as a result of that ITT.

Yeah, I'm working pretty hard here taking 2 seconds to post an idea or two here on TLS.

I deserve a break. Anyone up for COD?

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:34 pm

Burger in a can wrote:"You tell me that I make no difference

((actually, considering the overwhelming quantity of preppy kids on this site, inchoate_con might be the only one who recognizes that quote!))

minor threat

Matteliszt

Postby Matteliszt » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:12 pm

checking in. Hope everyone is doing well. dont start for another week here.

Ersatz Haderach

Postby Ersatz Haderach » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:15 pm

I like the OneNote thing that was linked to, but the highlighters...no. No way.

Personally, I read once without taking notes, ruminate a bit, mark important rules/holdings -- re-read and take notes in onenote, perhaps brief a case or two if it's called for/required -- read E&E/other supplements/whatever, take notes -- glance over notes, discuss, highlight questions

It breaks things down into small little blocks that I can tackle two or three at a time without losing my mind. Overall, it takes a fair bit of time, I'm hoping things get easier as the semester progresses. If it doesn't, I'll likely skip my 'pretend you're reading the casebook for pleasure' phase and go straight to dissecting the text.

Duralex

Postby Duralex » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:50 pm

FWIW, I find the case caption and the first column of the brief form above, which are all I do before class, take about 5-10 minutes per case to complete. The rest is done in class. It's a pretty cheap time investment, in my view, to not only feel more prepared but also to have the material predigested at the time I was most familiar with it and ready to cut and paste into an outline. And to have them indexed so my database gets smarter. (I dump the case PDFs from WL in the DB with the briefs and notes.) And I like being able to see at a glance what I got wrong initially, the points the professor emphasized, etc. The table format encourages concision (which doesn't come naturally to me I am quickly learning to appreciate.) It's basically converting book briefed material into a capsule brief.

The title of the thread is still kind of bothering me, btw. My direct aim is not to get over on my section mates (even if that's what the curve mandates.)

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:42 pm

Those of you briefing already, how much attention are you paying to the notes at the end of a case and the problems?

Duralex

Postby Duralex » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:04 pm

I read them and think about them a little, but don't really worry about how I would answer them until I see which issues seem to interest the professor most. Some professors seem to draw upon the note and question cases more than others, and I take a little more time with them for those classes...I definitely don't write out full answers in advance, which I've seen some people do. I'd imagine it's good practice for exams but yeah, not gonna happen for me.

SmittenMitten

Postby SmittenMitten » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:09 pm

So the first reading I did for Civ Pro was a history of Civ Pro in England, and basically how a civil trial works step by step-as well as the differences in a common law system vs a civil law system-

I don't think any of this will be helpful for the final-y/y?

inchoate_con

Postby inchoate_con » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:35 pm

Whoa! I'm impressed!

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:45 pm

K
Last edited by Burger in a can on Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Duralex

Postby Duralex » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:52 pm

coffee inspired punk rock banditry for when you can't stand reading any more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNg2ODaLiN8&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YVqt8Xz92A

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:01 pm

F
Last edited by Burger in a can on Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

inchoate_con

Postby inchoate_con » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:09 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
inchoate_con wrote:

Whoa! I'm impressed!

I also liked the Bad Religion plug in your OneNote tutorial. :) I'm glad I'm not the only rising 1L who knows a little something about punk rawk.

You'd never know it, if you saw me. I use it as an avatar because I had the sticker on a laptop, and some insecure douchebags "questioned" the message I was sending! So it has many uses... if only those in my section knew what I really thought of them.

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:16 pm

thanks

sibley

Postby sibley » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:19 pm

Question.... someone on here said the wentworth suggests using like 12 highlighters. but at the intro of the audio course he says what I take to mean the opposite. where does he say to do it?

inchoate_con

Postby inchoate_con » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:29 pm

sibley wrote:Question.... someone on here said the wentworth suggests using like 12 highlighters. but at the intro of the audio course he says what I take to mean the opposite. where does he say to do it?

No. I think that is LS Confidential

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:07 pm

Burger in a can wrote:I also liked the Bad Religion plug in your OneNote tutorial. :) I'm glad I'm not the only rising 1L who knows a little something about punk rawk.

Listening to my law school peers discuss "music" at orientation was almost physically painful.

Someone didn't know who Pearl Jam or Social Distortion was.

Killself was a viable option at that point.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:11 pm

I don't know who Social Distortion is. Have you guys heard the new Taylor Swift single?

:mrgreen:

Matteliszt

Postby Matteliszt » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:33 pm

traehekat wrote:I don't know who Social Distortion is. Have you guys heard the new Taylor Swift single?

I love Justin Bieber.

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:39 pm

kalvano wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:I also liked the Bad Religion plug in your OneNote tutorial. :) I'm glad I'm not the only rising 1L who knows a little something about punk rawk.

Listening to my law school peers discuss "music" at orientation was almost physically painful.

go tell it to the old people thread

KIDDING

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:40 pm

inchoate_con wrote:
sibley wrote:Question.... someone on here said the wentworth suggests using like 12 highlighters. but at the intro of the audio course he says what I take to mean the opposite. where does he say to do it?

No. I think that is LS Confidential

Yeah, LSC liked book briefing, but LEEWS hated it. Sounds like a waste of effort to me; you might or might not gain something from typing everything up in a brief, but you definitely don't gain anything from highlighting.

solotee

Postby solotee » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:18 pm

nm

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:27 pm

Matteliszt wrote:
traehekat wrote:I don't know who Social Distortion is. Have you guys heard the new Taylor Swift single?

I love Justin Bieber.

I don't know what a Justin Bieber is.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:27 pm

jayn3 wrote:
kalvano wrote:

go tell it to the old people thread

KIDDING

We were talking about real music.

Whore.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”