Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
traehekat

Re: The Gunner Thread

Postby traehekat » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:19 pm

2 for 3, i'll take it.

not that you need me to tell you, but great choice on SMU, especially with the $. i wish i would have applied there, i've heard they really kill it in dallas.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:21 pm

traehekat wrote:2 for 3, i'll take it.

not that you need me to tell you, but great choice on SMU, especially with the $. i wish i would have applied there, i've heard they really kill it in dallas.

They do OK for sure. Being the only school around is helpful.

charlow

Postby charlow » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:31 pm

I think this is very helpful.

jdubb990

Postby jdubb990 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:03 pm

"if factually at liberty it doesn't mean liberty at law" Anybody want to elaborate on this statement from my property class?

goodyear4ford

Postby goodyear4ford » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:11 pm

Invitee law?

xiening

Postby xiening » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:34 pm

checking in!

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:19 pm

First exam tomorrow. I'm debating whether or not I want to try and impose the LEEWS strategy, just to see it "in action." I don't have much practice with it besides completely the primer/audio program so I'm not terribly comfortable with it, though.

On the other hand, it is pass/fail... and pretty much everyone passes...

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:43 pm

kalvano wrote:It's nothing Earth-shattering, but it's relevant and spoken by someone who did well.

Now, I did always ignore the stuff put before and after the cases in your casebook. You will be pissed off when you realize you are spending $120 a class on a casebook that is little more than a reproduction of cases that are free for anyone to reproduce. These books are terribly done. The editorial material is usually garbage. After each case, they pose a number of questions without ever answering them. Yes, you could bog yourself down in these very academic exercises, but that doesn't mean you should skip reading the case itself.

Lots of professors, particularly professors who are authors on the casebooks being used, get their exam questions from those "very academic exercises."

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:33 am

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
kalvano wrote:It's nothing Earth-shattering, but it's relevant and spoken by someone who did well.

Now, I did always ignore the stuff put before and after the cases in your casebook. You will be pissed off when you realize you are spending $120 a class on a casebook that is little more than a reproduction of cases that are free for anyone to reproduce. These books are terribly done. The editorial material is usually garbage. After each case, they pose a number of questions without ever answering them. Yes, you could bog yourself down in these very academic exercises, but that doesn't mean you should skip reading the case itself.

Lots of professors, particularly professors who are authors on the casebooks being used, get their exam questions from those "very academic exercises."

I plan to at least glance at this stuff in my CivPro casebook, which my professor co-authored, to see if there's anything really interesting there that could be worked into the exam. The other classes, won't bother.

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:13 am

Finally starting to pull everything together and get it in gear. For those of you using onenote, how are you planning on organizing it? I'm thinking each file will be a class, the sections will be broken down by "in class" "case brief notes" and "supplement notes", with each main subject having its own page and each minor subject be subtitled within the page.

Or, alternatively: each file be a class, each section be a main subject, and each page be a breakdown of topics within that subject with supplements, class notes, and casebrief notes all subtitled on the same page.

either way i'll be transcribing the whole thing in a master outline on a word document.

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:54 am

skoobily doobily wrote:Finally starting to pull everything together and get it in gear. For those of you using onenote, how are you planning on organizing it? I'm thinking each file will be a class, the sections will be broken down by "in class" "case brief notes" and "supplement notes", with each main subject having its own page and each minor subject be subtitled within the page.

Or, alternatively: each file be a class, each section be a main subject, and each page be a breakdown of topics within that subject with supplements, class notes, and casebrief notes all subtitled on the same page.

either way i'll be transcribing the whole thing in a master outline on a word document.

I'm planning to write my notes the first way (broken down by different types of notes), switch it over to the second way every week or two (organized by subject), and then condense down to my outline from there. I like the second way more, but I think it'll be easier to do after every week or two of class because I'll be able to see how things fit together better.
Last edited by forty-two on Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TTH

Postby TTH » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:02 pm

skoobily doobily wrote:Finally starting to pull everything together and get it in gear. For those of you using onenote, how are you planning on organizing it? I'm thinking each file will be a class, the sections will be broken down by "in class" "case brief notes" and "supplement notes", with each main subject having its own page and each minor subject be subtitled within the page.

I've been sort of confused about the best way to structure my notes. I'm using Circus Ponies, and i've got a notebook for each class, with a divider for class notes and a divider for case briefs. Each day gets its own page in class notes and each subject of cases gets its own page. Make sense or doomed for below median?

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:55 pm

TTH wrote:

I've been sort of confused about the best way to structure my notes. I'm using Circus Ponies, and i've got a notebook for each class, with a divider for class notes and a divider for case briefs. Each day gets its own page in class notes and each subject of cases gets its own page. Make sense or doomed for below median?

please tell me that means you have a series of lisa frank binders. please?

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:40 pm

--ImageRemoved--

sibley

Postby sibley » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:13 pm

lol. I'm using Circus Ponies too. Hoping that one note will come out for mac in the fall release, but if not... at least we have something with some organization that can also record as it goes. As for your strategy: I think that's about the best you can do without listening to the lectures multiple times. You may not need the briefs section and you might be better off with a divider for outlines instead. That's all.
I miss my 5th grade Lisa Frank stuff. Such pretty colors.

Matteliszt

Postby Matteliszt » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:14 pm

How are you guys on onenote doing outlines? converting to word when it is done? how to deal with page breaks?

inchoate_con

Postby inchoate_con » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:23 pm

I spent a couple hours creating a OneNote Tutorial, Should have it posted Later this evening.

Matteliszt

Postby Matteliszt » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:26 pm

inchoate_con wrote:I spent a couple hours creating a OneNote Tutorial, Should have it posted Later this evening.

love you. Will you PM when you do please?

creamedcats

Postby creamedcats » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:34 pm

inchoate_con wrote:I spent a couple hours creating a OneNote Tutorial, Should have it posted Later this evening.

also looking forward to this

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:51 pm

Matteliszt wrote:How are you guys on onenote doing outlines? converting to word when it is done? how to deal with page breaks?

I'm going to be transcribing as a means of studying, so i'm going to just use onenote for raw notes, and then transcribe them onto an outline draft on word, and then trim that down to a exam-ready outline also on word.

TTH

Postby TTH » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:59 pm

jayn3 wrote:please tell me that means you have a series of lisa frank binders. please?

Considered it, but went with Milky Gear instead

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:07 pm

creamedcats wrote:

Freaking awesome.

LAWYER2

Postby LAWYER2 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:18 pm

JOThompson wrote:
creamedcats wrote:

Freaking awesome.

Oh yes! Will be waiting patiently :)

SwollenMonkey

Postby SwollenMonkey » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:33 pm

So how are you guys handling the reading.

I will brief cases for sure.

For now, I'm looking at reading an EE, then a hornbook, and finally the casebook.
I want to go from a basic to complex understanding of a concept in a particular course.

What are some of your approaches to the reading?

Also, what about legal dictionaries? I don't want to lug Black's Law Dictionary around campus. Anyone have alternatives to Black's?

Thanks.
Last edited by SwollenMonkey on Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pandacot

Postby pandacot » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:37 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:Also, what about legal dictionaries? I don't want to lug Black's Law Dictionary around campus. Anyone have alternatives to Black's?

Thanks.

I believe lexis and westlaw have dictionaries available on their sites. You may not have access to either, yet.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”