Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
snowpeach06

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:07 pm

As a random lol: some kids had to write about Girl Talk and fair use for their papers. So, apparently one girl just goes and e-mails him with a bunch of questions, he answered, and since she was allowed to use it in her paper, she's sure to get an A. Now that's hutspah.

edit: In other news, I was doing some searching and either I suck at searching or no one has written any law review articles about him. If I make either Law Review (yeah right) or the IP Journal, I think it might be an interesting topic. I was considering doing either 1st amendment, gay rights or the lack of copyright in the fashion industry for my writing requirement, but, I might just write this.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:36 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:As a random lol: some kids had to write about Girl Talk and fair use for their papers. So, apparently one girl just goes and e-mails him with a bunch of questions, he answered, and since she was allowed to use it in her paper, she's sure to get an A. Now that's hutspah.

edit: In other news, I was doing some searching and either I suck at searching or no one has written any law review articles about him. If I make either Law Review (yeah right) or the IP Journal, I think it might be an interesting topic. I was considering doing either 1st amendment, gay rights or the lack of copyright in the fashion industry for my writing requirement, but, I might just write this.

Who is Girl Talk exactly? He (right?) Is performing here this weekend. How does he factor into any of this?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:37 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:As a random lol: some kids had to write about Girl Talk and fair use for their papers. So, apparently one girl just goes and e-mails him with a bunch of questions, he answered, and since she was allowed to use it in her paper, she's sure to get an A. Now that's hutspah.

Listened to an NPR story about this the other day. Technically he has to pay for all those samples.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:47 pm

beach_terror wrote:

Who is Girl Talk exactly? He (right?) Is performing here this weekend. How does he factor into any of this?

rad law wrote:Girl Talk is one guy, who will basically steal whole chunks of songs and mash it with another song. The music is great, but obviously, he's a walking lawsuit. You should go see him though. I hear the live show, even though its just him and a computer, is absolutely fantastic.
Listened to an NPR story about this the other day. Technically he has to pay for all those samples.

I don't think he does though. That's why everyone is so fascinated. He maintains (and I agree) that its a fair use, and transformative. When the girl e-mailed him she asked him how much time it took him to mix a song, and he said it took a while. I was reading some article that said no one has ever sued him before, because hes so renown for what he is doing, that there is already a list of the best copyright lawyers in the country who have volunteered to defend him pro bono, because its almost guaranteed to be a landmark case when he gets sued.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:59 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:I don't think he does though. That's why everyone is so fascinated. He maintains (and I agree) that its a fair use, and transformative. When the girl e-mailed him she asked him how much time it took him to mix a song, and he said it took a while. I was reading some article that said no one has ever sued him before, because hes so renown for what he is doing, that there is already a list of the best copyright lawyers in the country who have volunteered to defend him pro bono, because its almost guaranteed to be a landmark case when he gets sued.

It will be an interesting question if it ever happens.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:44 am

aight 22 hours until brief is due. prolly should start writing. instead im sitting in a mall eating quiznos. also skipping class at the moment.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:58 am

traehekat wrote:aight 22 hours until brief is due. prolly should start writing. instead im sitting in a mall eating quiznos. also skipping class at the moment.

Now thats what I like to hear!

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:01 pm

rad law wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
rad law wrote:
mythosopher wrote:I wasn't about to write an entire brief on the history of GLBT discrimination. Sorry, I'll be sure to do that next time.
EDIT: Also, you've got your burden of proof backwards. The State has to prove why the discrimination is permissible, not the other way around.

You don't have to write a history of GLBT discrimination, which I wouldn't read anyway, but not posting worthless, unreasoned horse shit would be nice.

TBF, this should tell you all you need to know
mythosopher wrote:Sports-related clips are ANTI-motivational for me. Really, a game chasing a ball around a field is that important to you? The only exception would, maybe, be Remember the Titans because the importance is not on winning a game, but overcoming racial tensions and segregation.

mythosopher sounds like an absolute blast to hang out with

About as cool as a plastic bag full of hair.

geekrocker37

Postby geekrocker37 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:02 pm

traehekat wrote:aight 22 hours until brief is due. prolly should start writing. instead im sitting in a mall eating quiznos. also skipping class at the moment.

LIVE THE DREAM

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:12 pm

I hate Legal Practice. This class makes me really question my decision to become a lawyer, because I hate this tedious bullshit and I can't seem to ever get it right. I am on the verge of a complete meltdown.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

J-tow10

Postby J-tow10 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:36 am

romothesavior wrote:I hate Legal Practice. This class makes me really question my decision to become a lawyer, because I hate this tedious bullshit and I can't seem to ever get it right. I am on the verge of a complete meltdown.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

+1 to HelLP

But there is light at the end of the tunnel!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:23 pm

Turned in my last brief today. Freeeeedooooom!

In honor of the occasion, my roommate and I lit all of our research on fire. He's got a good picture of it, I'll try to post it later.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:33 pm

romothesavior wrote:Turned in my last brief today. Freeeeedooooom!

In honor of the occasion, my roommate and I lit all of our research on fire. He's got a good picture of it, I'll try to post it later.

That is awesome.

mbusch22

Postby mbusch22 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:04 pm

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:09 am

I was planning something similar. Then we were told to keep everything for 3 years in case any "irregularities" arise.

mths

Postby mths » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:05 am

kalvano wrote:

I was planning something similar. Then we were told to keep everything for 3 years in case any "irregularities" arise.

irregularities?

what the fuck does that mean

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:11 am

You lucky asshole; it's 2:15 and I'm writing my appellate brief and not outlining.

uzpakalis

Postby uzpakalis » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:18 pm

oral argument today and then I'm donezo!!!! Bring on the exams (sorta)...

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:08 pm

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:50 pm

Amazing.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:40 am

You da man bro

goosey

Postby goosey » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:14 pm

uzpakalis wrote:oral argument today and then I'm donezo!!!! Bring on the exams (sorta)...

just finished w my oral argument. so GLAD its done. now onto bigger and better [and graded] things...fiiinals

Baylan

Postby Baylan » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:23 pm

In epic 1L end of year meltdown I may or may not have broken up with my girlfriend, then within 24 hours, become the hero of my section by calling out a professor who has a massive tendency to interrupt students after he did so to me 4 times in a row.

three weeks until exams end, which means 21 days to fail some more. Will it get better before then?

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:49 pm

Baylan wrote:In epic 1L end of year meltdown I may or may not have broken up with my girlfriend, then within 24 hours, become the hero of my section by calling out a professor who has a massive tendency to interrupt students after he did so to me 4 times in a row.

three weeks until exams end, which means 21 days to fail some more. Will it get better before then?

I don't see any fail here.

Baylan

Postby Baylan » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:56 am

Always Credited wrote:
Baylan wrote:In epic 1L end of year meltdown I may or may not have broken up with my girlfriend, then within 24 hours, become the hero of my section by calling out a professor who has a massive tendency to interrupt students after he did so to me 4 times in a row.

I don't see any fail here.

The fail is subtly hidden under deep seated resentment and self loathing that will either lead to fantastic grades or /killself.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”