Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:07 pm

As a random lol: some kids had to write about Girl Talk and fair use for their papers. So, apparently one girl just goes and e-mails him with a bunch of questions, he answered, and since she was allowed to use it in her paper, she's sure to get an A. Now that's hutspah.

edit: In other news, I was doing some searching and either I suck at searching or no one has written any law review articles about him. If I make either Law Review (yeah right) or the IP Journal, I think it might be an interesting topic. I was considering doing either 1st amendment, gay rights or the lack of copyright in the fashion industry for my writing requirement, but, I might just write this.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7256
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby beach_terror » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:36 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:As a random lol: some kids had to write about Girl Talk and fair use for their papers. So, apparently one girl just goes and e-mails him with a bunch of questions, he answered, and since she was allowed to use it in her paper, she's sure to get an A. Now that's hutspah.

edit: In other news, I was doing some searching and either I suck at searching or no one has written any law review articles about him. If I make either Law Review (yeah right) or the IP Journal, I think it might be an interesting topic. I was considering doing either 1st amendment, gay rights or the lack of copyright in the fashion industry for my writing requirement, but, I might just write this.

Who is Girl Talk exactly? He (right?) Is performing here this weekend. How does he factor into any of this?

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby Grizz » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:37 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:As a random lol: some kids had to write about Girl Talk and fair use for their papers. So, apparently one girl just goes and e-mails him with a bunch of questions, he answered, and since she was allowed to use it in her paper, she's sure to get an A. Now that's hutspah.

edit: In other news, I was doing some searching and either I suck at searching or no one has written any law review articles about him. If I make either Law Review (yeah right) or the IP Journal, I think it might be an interesting topic. I was considering doing either 1st amendment, gay rights or the lack of copyright in the fashion industry for my writing requirement, but, I might just write this.


Listened to an NPR story about this the other day. Technically he has to pay for all those samples.

User avatar
snowpeach06
Posts: 2426
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:32 am

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:47 pm

beach_terror wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:As a random lol: some kids had to write about Girl Talk and fair use for their papers. So, apparently one girl just goes and e-mails him with a bunch of questions, he answered, and since she was allowed to use it in her paper, she's sure to get an A. Now that's hutspah.

edit: In other news, I was doing some searching and either I suck at searching or no one has written any law review articles about him. If I make either Law Review (yeah right) or the IP Journal, I think it might be an interesting topic. I was considering doing either 1st amendment, gay rights or the lack of copyright in the fashion industry for my writing requirement, but, I might just write this.


Who is Girl Talk exactly? He (right?) Is performing here this weekend. How does he factor into any of this?

rad law wrote:Girl Talk is one guy, who will basically steal whole chunks of songs and mash it with another song. The music is great, but obviously, he's a walking lawsuit. You should go see him though. I hear the live show, even though its just him and a computer, is absolutely fantastic.
Listened to an NPR story about this the other day. Technically he has to pay for all those samples.

I don't think he does though. That's why everyone is so fascinated. He maintains (and I agree) that its a fair use, and transformative. When the girl e-mailed him she asked him how much time it took him to mix a song, and he said it took a while. I was reading some article that said no one has ever sued him before, because hes so renown for what he is doing, that there is already a list of the best copyright lawyers in the country who have volunteered to defend him pro bono, because its almost guaranteed to be a landmark case when he gets sued.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby Grizz » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:59 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:I don't think he does though. That's why everyone is so fascinated. He maintains (and I agree) that its a fair use, and transformative. When the girl e-mailed him she asked him how much time it took him to mix a song, and he said it took a while. I was reading some article that said no one has ever sued him before, because hes so renown for what he is doing, that there is already a list of the best copyright lawyers in the country who have volunteered to defend him pro bono, because its almost guaranteed to be a landmark case when he gets sued.


It will be an interesting question if it ever happens.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby traehekat » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:44 am

aight 22 hours until brief is due. prolly should start writing. instead im sitting in a mall eating quiznos. also skipping class at the moment.

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:58 am

traehekat wrote:aight 22 hours until brief is due. prolly should start writing. instead im sitting in a mall eating quiznos. also skipping class at the moment.


Now thats what I like to hear!

User avatar
Ty Webb
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby Ty Webb » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:01 pm

rad law wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
rad law wrote:
mythosopher wrote:I wasn't about to write an entire brief on the history of GLBT discrimination. Sorry, I'll be sure to do that next time.
EDIT: Also, you've got your burden of proof backwards. The State has to prove why the discrimination is permissible, not the other way around.


You don't have to write a history of GLBT discrimination, which I wouldn't read anyway, but not posting worthless, unreasoned horse shit would be nice.

TBF, this should tell you all you need to know
mythosopher wrote:Sports-related clips are ANTI-motivational for me. Really, a game chasing a ball around a field is that important to you? The only exception would, maybe, be Remember the Titans because the importance is not on winning a game, but overcoming racial tensions and segregation.


mythosopher sounds like an absolute blast to hang out with


About as cool as a plastic bag full of hair.

User avatar
geekrocker37
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:26 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby geekrocker37 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:02 pm

traehekat wrote:aight 22 hours until brief is due. prolly should start writing. instead im sitting in a mall eating quiznos. also skipping class at the moment.



LIVE THE DREAM

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby romothesavior » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:12 pm

I hate Legal Practice. This class makes me really question my decision to become a lawyer, because I hate this tedious bullshit and I can't seem to ever get it right. I am on the verge of a complete meltdown.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

J-tow10
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:24 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby J-tow10 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:36 am

romothesavior wrote:I hate Legal Practice. This class makes me really question my decision to become a lawyer, because I hate this tedious bullshit and I can't seem to ever get it right. I am on the verge of a complete meltdown.

:evil: :evil: :evil:


+1 to HelLP

But there is light at the end of the tunnel!

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby romothesavior » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:23 pm

Turned in my last brief today. Freeeeedooooom!

In honor of the occasion, my roommate and I lit all of our research on fire. He's got a good picture of it, I'll try to post it later.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby keg411 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:33 pm

romothesavior wrote:Turned in my last brief today. Freeeeedooooom!

In honor of the occasion, my roommate and I lit all of our research on fire. He's got a good picture of it, I'll try to post it later.


That is awesome.

User avatar
mbusch22
Posts: 255
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:08 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby mbusch22 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:04 pm

romothesavior wrote:Turned in my last brief today. Freeeeedooooom!

In honor of the occasion, my roommate and I lit all of our research on fire. He's got a good picture of it, I'll try to post it later.


Image

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11726
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby kalvano » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:09 am

romothesavior wrote:Turned in my last brief today. Freeeeedooooom!

In honor of the occasion, my roommate and I lit all of our research on fire. He's got a good picture of it, I'll try to post it later.


I was planning something similar. Then we were told to keep everything for 3 years in case any "irregularities" arise.

User avatar
mths
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:24 am

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby mths » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:05 am

kalvano wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Turned in my last brief today. Freeeeedooooom!

In honor of the occasion, my roommate and I lit all of our research on fire. He's got a good picture of it, I'll try to post it later.


I was planning something similar. Then we were told to keep everything for 3 years in case any "irregularities" arise.

irregularities?

what the fuck does that mean

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby Grizz » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:11 am

romothesavior wrote:Turned in my last brief today. Freeeeedooooom!

In honor of the occasion, my roommate and I lit all of our research on fire. He's got a good picture of it, I'll try to post it later.


You lucky asshole; it's 2:15 and I'm writing my appellate brief and not outlining.

User avatar
uzpakalis
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:36 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby uzpakalis » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:18 pm

oral argument today and then I'm donezo!!!! Bring on the exams (sorta)...

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby romothesavior » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:08 pm

romothesavior wrote:Turned in my last brief today. Freeeeedooooom!

In honor of the occasion, my roommate and I lit all of our research on fire. He's got a good picture of it, I'll try to post it later.

Image

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby keg411 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:50 pm

Amazing.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby Grizz » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:40 am

You da man bro

User avatar
goosey
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby goosey » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:14 pm

uzpakalis wrote:oral argument today and then I'm donezo!!!! Bring on the exams (sorta)...


just finished w my oral argument. so GLAD its done. now onto bigger and better [and graded] things...fiiinals

Baylan
Posts: 356
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:26 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby Baylan » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:23 pm

In epic 1L end of year meltdown I may or may not have broken up with my girlfriend, then within 24 hours, become the hero of my section by calling out a professor who has a massive tendency to interrupt students after he did so to me 4 times in a row.

three weeks until exams end, which means 21 days to fail some more. Will it get better before then?

User avatar
Always Credited
Posts: 2509
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:31 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby Always Credited » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:49 pm

Baylan wrote:In epic 1L end of year meltdown I may or may not have broken up with my girlfriend, then within 24 hours, become the hero of my section by calling out a professor who has a massive tendency to interrupt students after he did so to me 4 times in a row.

three weeks until exams end, which means 21 days to fail some more. Will it get better before then?


I don't see any fail here.

Baylan
Posts: 356
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:26 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby Baylan » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:56 am

Always Credited wrote:
Baylan wrote:In epic 1L end of year meltdown I may or may not have broken up with my girlfriend, then within 24 hours, become the hero of my section by calling out a professor who has a massive tendency to interrupt students after he did so to me 4 times in a row.

three weeks until exams end, which means 21 days to fail some more. Will it get better before then?


I don't see any fail here.


The fail is subtly hidden under deep seated resentment and self loathing that will either lead to fantastic grades or /killself.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ididntwantsalmon, OldArmy and 6 guests