Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
stayway

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby stayway » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:40 am

Sitting in property and currently have no idea what the professor is talking about. He has one slide up and talking about something else.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:55 pm

nooyyllib wrote:Sitting in property and currently have no idea what the professor is talking about. He has one slide up and talking about something else.

My property professor has his own theory, that isn't even a theory. I think he just gives his opinions based on public policy but, and never talks about the elements of things. But, I hear he still wants them on the final. I literally have no idea what's going on in that class.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:03 pm

Oral argument in 28 hours. Ungraded so chances of m preparing are slim to none. Can't wait for this shitshow.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:47 pm

I've gotten behind in my reading. Didn't bother to catch up over Spring break. Screw me.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:59 pm

Is the E&E any good for Con Law? I like it's general style of spelling things out, as if the reader were retarded. Really helped me learn contracts last semester.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:31 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:Is the E&E any good for Con Law? I like it's general style of spelling things out, as if the reader were retarded. Really helped me learn contracts last semester.

I think the general consensus is that the Con Law E&E is easily the worst out of the series.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:32 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:Is the E&E any good for Con Law? I like it's general style of spelling things out, as if the reader were retarded. Really helped me learn contracts last semester.

I think the general consensus is that the Con Law E&E is easily the worst out of the series.

Wow, that sucks. I'm finding Chemerinsky a little hard to get through.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:36 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

I found ConLaw one of the more difficult classes to find straightforward exam prep material with. Cali wasn't at all helpful. I tried Siegel's, but it would have been a lot more helpful if the material in the book matched up with what we went over in class (there was not a whole lot of overlap - YMMV).

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:25 pm

I think I figured out RAP guys!

you just have to think inside out

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:31 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

I found ConLaw one of the more difficult classes to find straightforward exam prep material with. Cali wasn't at all helpful. I tried Siegel's, but it would have been a lot more helpful if the material in the book matched up with what we went over in class (there was not a whole lot of overlap - YMMV).

What freaks me out is I really feel like this is the class I need the MOST practice for, because it's so confusing and abstract.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:50 pm

lol, just had to do a blackboard discussion on whether or not Lawrence v. Texas was rightly decided. I said it was an example of judicial activism and it was wrongly decided (and that Brown v. Board was too). Here comes the pain.
Last edited by beach_terror on Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:58 pm

beach_terror wrote:lol, just had to do a blackboard discussion on whether or not Lawrence v. Taylor was rightly decided. I said it was an example of judicial activism and it was wrongly decided (and that Brown v. Board was too). Here comes the pain.

channel your inner scalia, bro

btw i love the Lawrence Taylor freudian slip (assuming you meant Lawrence v. Texas)

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:00 pm

fatduck wrote:
beach_terror wrote:lol, just had to do a blackboard discussion on whether or not Lawrence v. Taylor was rightly decided. I said it was an example of judicial activism and it was wrongly decided (and that Brown v. Board was too). Here comes the pain.

channel your inner scalia, bro

btw i love the Lawrence Taylor freudian slip (assuming you meant Lawrence v. Texas)

LOL, Lawrence v. Texas... LT is a whole different discussion.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:01 pm

double post, woops

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:24 pm

beach_terror wrote:lol, just had to do a blackboard discussion on whether or not Lawrence v. Texas was rightly decided. I said it was an example of judicial activism and it was wrongly decided (and that Brown v. Board was too). Here comes the pain.

It's interesting how zealous people get about certain cases.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:22 pm

I'm writing this motion and my teacher gave me comments, but, I have no idea of how good/bad it was, so I have no idea how to change it. On my last paper my argument was awesome, but, I lost a ton of points on stupid stuff like grammar. I wish when we turn in drafts though, a teacher would just say, instead of trying to be nice "overall your paper is blah..."

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:30 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
beach_terror wrote:lol, just had to do a blackboard discussion on whether or not Lawrence v. Texas was rightly decided. I said it was an example of judicial activism and it was wrongly decided (and that Brown v. Board was too). Here comes the pain.

It's interesting how zealous people get about certain cases.

I argued for 20 minutes with my prof after class about how Farreta v. California is the best decision ever rendered in Criminal procedure.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:42 pm

i am getting panicky about how unpanicky i am. bring on the madness.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:52 pm

dailygrind wrote:i am getting panicky about how unpanicky i am. bring on the madness.

+1.

I just dont care enough this semester for some reason, maybe I think my GPA from last semester will keep me afloat or somehow magically replicate itself.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:54 pm

Bowers was judicial activism. But honestly... I don't really have a problem with activism. It stems from their moral views, which is often what cases come down to anyway. Still, I'm aware that this is an unpopular opinion/an unconstitutional one.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:05 pm

has anyone listened to the con law lectures on barbri? i basically learned civ pro listening to freer; i'm hoping for a similar experience with chemerinsky.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:13 pm

dailygrind wrote:has anyone listened to the con law lectures on barbri? i basically learned civ pro listening to freer; i'm hoping for a similar experience with chemerinsky.

I have a similar hope.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:14 pm

awesome. you wanna let me know how that works out for you? if i listen to them first, i'll do the same.

mythosopher

Postby mythosopher » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:14 pm

I never understood why people think so many cases are judicial activism. It's not activism if there is law and legal reasoning to back the holding, even if some of it is more abstract and principles-based. For example, I don't understand how Lawrence v. Texas is activism?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:59 am

mythosopher wrote:I never understood why people think so many cases are judicial activism. It's not activism if there is law and legal reasoning to back the holding, even if some of it is more abstract and principles-based. For example, I don't understand how Lawrence v. Texas is activism?

There's no textual support that there's a fundamental right to engage in homosexual sex. The judiciary steps into the legislative area by saying there is, and it's a huge stretch to say that the founders actually intended something so specific to be a fundamental right (plus, where do you draw the line? Brown? Homosexual sex? Abortion? you can't draw a line)

The electoral process is where the Texas statute should have been overruled. The judges aren't accountable to the people, to allow their word to be the last and devoid of any true textual support is a huge usurpation of power from the States.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”