Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
keg411

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby keg411 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:58 pm

ITT: Top 5% students (like Barbell Dreams) whine about how shitty they are doing this semester :lol:.

BTW, I think my brief was sub-par too. So you are not alone :lol:.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:08 pm

38 days until my first exam. I'm starting to panic.

The worst thing is that tell my UG friends that, and they just give me blank stares. I have no one to share my pain. :(

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:20 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:I totally forgot that my simulation is tomorrow. On top of that, I literally can't find a single case for it. FUCK.

Whats a simulation?

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:27 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:I totally forgot that my simulation is tomorrow. On top of that, I literally can't find a single case for it. FUCK.

Whats a simulation?

It's where we pretend like we're real lawyers and interview a client, negotiate a settlement, ect.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:51 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:

Whats a simulation?

It's where we pretend like we're real lawyers and interview a client, negotiate a settlement, ect.

We had to interview a pretend client once. By the end of the interview I wanted to say "You're too egotistical for me to take this case."

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:11 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:

Whats a simulation?

We had to interview a pretend client once. By the end of the interview I wanted to say "You're too egotistical for me to take this case."

One time I had to interview a client who had a hardcore stuttering problem, but also loved to hear himself talk. Out of the 15 minutes, he talked for about 12 of them. Then I got called out for trying to force him to actually answer my questions.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:56 pm

Con Law is by far the most interesting class I have ever taken. Maybe the fact that I'm taking in conjunction with a philosophy elective that focuses on constitutional principles makes it more interesting to me on an individual level, nevertheless this shit is pretty awesome.

Contracts should DIAF.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:59 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Contracts should DIAF.

+1

no transactions ever.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:34 pm

Hate Con Law, loved Contracts.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:04 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Hate Con Law, loved Contracts.

mark me down for this camp, too. a lot of it is probably professor dependent, though. with the exception of crim, where i wasn't particularly interested in the subject to begin with, my interest in the class has been strongly correlated with the teaching ability of my professor.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:22 pm

Was not a fan of Contracts and I don't like ConLaw. But I liked CivPro (in retrospect at least :lol:) and I like Property.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:32 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:38 1 day until my first exam. I'm starting continuing to panic.

Damn quarter system.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:24 pm

Kretzy wrote:
Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:38 1 day until my first exam. I'm starting continuing to panic.

Damn quarter system.

Damn quarter system indeed, good luck man. May many HP's come your way.

On another note, this is awesome: http://www.oyez.org/cases/2010-2019/201 ... 9/argument

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:46 pm

Con Law - Civ Pro - Property - Philosophy Elective - Torts - Crim - Contracts (best to worst). Definitely a correlation with teacher quality dg as well.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:02 am

Torts
Criminal Law
Contracts
Civil Procedure
Constitutional Law
Evidence
Property

goosey

Postby goosey » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:10 am

break is officially over.

what I accomplished: 1 hour of outlining for property, 30 min of outlining for con law, and a few hours on my brief re-write.

I am a massive fail head.

what a waste of spring break.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:16 am

Actually, I think the correlation may lie in how good the text for each class is. I find my conlaw book (while longwinded) to be better than Chemerensky in a lot of places and fully sufficient on its own to give me a very thorough understanding of the material (especially in conjunction with my professor's lectures). My civ pro text was gold, and so is my property text.

The E&Es for property and Ks suck and are unnecessarily confusing too. Really happy I didn't waste money buying them.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:32 am

For Me:
LRW
CivPro
Property
Crim
Torts
ConLawl
K's

I'll admit, I would have placed Torts higher prior to meeting with my prof about my final. My midterm saved my ass in that class in more ways than I can count. Also, CivPro is revisionist history based on my grade, the Freer lectures and my awesome study group :lol:.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:07 am

For me in terms of how interested I am while in class:

Contracts
Torts
Civ Pro I (Jurisdiction)
Crim Pro
Civ Pro II (FRCP)
Property
Criminal Law (Strictly because of the prof. I actually want to be a DA so I really enjoy Crim Law itself).
Con Law
HelLWR

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:08 am

goosey wrote:break is officially over.

what I accomplished: 1 hour of outlining for property, 30 min of outlining for con law, and a few hours on my brief re-write.

I am a massive fail head.

what a waste of spring break.

- Worked on brief for about 12 hours.
- Nothing else.

The plan as to get every outline done. What actually happened is I never touched any outline once.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:59 am

I only got through my contracts outline over break but I intended to get through everything. Just look at as a good way to prevent burn out later on :wink:

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:11 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:HelLWR

Oh my GOSH why didn't anyone tell me about this name for it earlier!

My brief is 5 pages shorter than my opposing counsel's... and with like 80 less sources. Apparently she's a lot better at interpreting the ridiculous bs that spews in that class better than I am.

Also, my break ='d writing my stupid, stupid journal competition and catching up on errands. and spending 2 days in the airport (never flying usairways again... no one else had cancelled flights). Law school has me completely burnt out.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:24 pm

Just finished and exchanged briefs with opponent (The biggest gunner in our class).

Number of cases I used: 9.

Number of cases he used: 23.

goosey

Postby goosey » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:30 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Just finished and exchanged briefs with opponent (The biggest gunner in our class).

lol. wowwwww.

I think my brief had like 13 cases, some of which were only used in a string cite to add support. how the hell do you fit 23 cases into one brief?!

I just handed my re-write in...I never understand what you are supposed to do on re-writes. She wrote a bunch of comments on my brief..so I basically just went back and fixed all of that stuff up. I didnt like, sit there adding research or re-writing anything other than what she said to add/omit. Not sure if "re-write" means you actually go back and do it all again and add things? we had 2 weeks to do it which makes me think there should have been more done than a few hours worth of work...I did well on it and she didnt have any major complaints so I assumed I should stick with what I have. The re-write is worth 25%...I really hope I didnt screw it up.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:35 pm

goosey wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:Just finished and exchanged briefs with opponent (The biggest gunner in our class).

lol. wowwwww.

I think my brief had like 13 cases, some of which were only used in a string cite to add support. how the hell do you fit 23 cases into one brief?!

I just handed my re-write in...I never understand what you are supposed to do on re-writes. She wrote a bunch of comments on my brief..so I basically just went back and fixed all of that stuff up. I didnt like, sit there adding research or re-writing anything other than what she said to add/omit. Not sure if "re-write" means you actually go back and do it all again and add things? we had 2 weeks to do it which makes me think there should have been more done than a few hours worth of work...I did well on it and she didnt have any major complaints so I assumed I should stick with what I have. The re-write is worth 25%...I really hope I didnt screw it up.

The funny thing is our prof told us to not do any outside research an focus on the opinion of the lower court using the cases they used in our argument. Literally half the cases he used I have never heard of and are not within that opinion.

Wish we had a rewrite. Not to say I would know what to do, but our prof is so nice I think a rewrite = automatic half a grade up at least if we had one, and she is already a really generous grader.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”