Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
traehekat

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby traehekat » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:56 pm

keg411 wrote:I spent today eating ice pops, sleeping and forcing myself to drink about a gallon of juice. I actually miss reading ConLawl at this point :(.

I can barely bring myself to even read ConLaw, let alone consider ever missing it.

solotee

Postby solotee » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:10 pm

traehekat wrote:
keg411 wrote:I spent today eating ice pops, sleeping and forcing myself to drink about a gallon of juice. I actually miss reading ConLawl at this point :(.

I can barely bring myself to even read ConLaw, let alone consider ever missing it.

At this point, I think I'm scrapping Con Law casebook reading. Every Con Law casebook reading session, I wonder what the hell I just read. I'll replace it with Chemerinsky instead.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:18 pm

mths wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:My appellate brief is a such a joke I am embarrassed to bring this to my prof tomorrow morning for review.

how nice it must be to have your prof review things for you

For real, our professors barely taught us how to write the fucking thing to begin with.

mths

Postby mths » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:47 pm

beach_terror wrote:
mths wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:My appellate brief is a such a joke I am embarrassed to bring this to my prof tomorrow morning for review.

For real, our professors barely taught us how to write the fucking thing to begin with.

I'm pretty unclear on mine.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:02 pm

Our prof reviews our stuff but gives very little direction. If it wasn't for the attendance policy I would do just as well to get the assignment and tell her that I'll see her at the end of the semester.

alexyoshi

Postby alexyoshi » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:20 am

mths wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
mths wrote:

I'm pretty unclear on mine.

back to work, slave

Gamecubesupreme

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:56 pm

How much time should you spend on each cover letter?

I've been spending over an hour just writing the cover letter for each of the jobs that I'm applying to.

Is this far too long?

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:01 pm

Gamecubesupreme wrote:How much time should you spend on each cover letter?

I've been spending over an hour just writing the cover letter for each of the jobs that I'm applying to.

Is this far too long?

I mean, actually writing it, or including research time? If including research time then it probably isn't TOO much... But if it is just writing the letter, then yeah you are spending too much time, especially if the employers are all private or public interest or judges or whatever.

I know everyone does it different, but I would just have a stock cover letter for each "kind" of employer, and then change up the first paragraph to include a bit on why on want to work for that employer, highlighting some research I've done. It's nothing major, though. If I already have a cover letter it only takes me maybe 15-20 minutes to research an employer, find something I can say in the cover letter, and word it right.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:58 am

Have three days of work to catch up on plus Thursday and Friday's reading plus brief. FML.

On the plus side, I feel like a human being again :D.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:09 am

solotee wrote:
traehekat wrote:

At this point, I think I'm scrapping Con Law casebook reading. Every Con Law casebook reading session, I wonder what the hell I just read. I'll replace it with Chemerinsky instead.

Idk, I opened up Chemerenski a couple of times and didnt get much out of it. I am sticking with the casebook until something is insanely unclear.

goosey

Postby goosey » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:42 am

BarbellDreams wrote:
Idk, I opened up Chemerenski a couple of times and didnt get much out of it. I am sticking with the casebook until something is insanely unclear.

I felt the same way before but now I found a system that works for me: I do all the reading for class/take notes in class. Then when we finish one topic (as in from way back when to modern cases) I read chemerinsky and create a "topic outline"--I am planning to have one outline for each topic we cover (we're only doing commerce clause/dormant commerce clause, taxing power, reconstruction amendments and then the overarching issues of executive/judicial/legislative powers. Then I have a totally separate "constitution outline" where I am outlining the constitution and putting cases/principles under things we discuss in class. Ever since I started approaching con law this way, it makes abt 100 times more sense. I suppose I could just as easily do one big outline and have each topic under a different roman numeral, but I don't know..a bunch of shorter outlines seems less intimidating.

TTH

Postby TTH » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:40 pm

Every spring we have a competition to fill slots on the travelling moot court teams. I'm watching the oral argument finals right now. The finalists are facing a panel of two State Supreme Court Justices and the Dean, and all three of them are being feisty with questions. The students are doing remarkably well, considering.

solotee

Postby solotee » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:47 pm

Just got my memo grade back... ehh, that one class is more time consuming and stressful than my 3 substantive course put together. I need to learn how to write.

fuuuuuuudge. that is all.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:01 pm

Observed oral argument at the 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals today, renewed my motivation for sure. The one attorney reminded me of a nervous middle schooler speaking in front of the class for the first time though, it was really surprising.

HarlandBassett

Postby HarlandBassett » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:51 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Most careers don't require a specific bachelors and most majors don't really give you a huge leg up. You can get a CPA without an accounting major. You can certainly do business major stuff without a business major. You can learn programming and be a programmer without any degree.

Getting a second bachelor might not be a terrible idea, but financial aid for it is very limited. Maybe part time at your local state school.

TL;DR; get a real job you immature, school loving, slackers.

Not necessarily true. In NY state, at my alma mater, you need to declare the accounting major to take certain accounting related courses, such as Cost Accounting, Individual Taxation, Managerial Accounting, all of which are required coursework for the CPA. It really depends on the school and what state you live in.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:25 pm

My property class has become a gunner-fest. So not cool. I actually wish more of my professors were scary or ultra-Socratic this semester at this point.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:08 pm

Finally rediscovered my a) interest in the law b) desire to do well and c) outlining hence the format of my post

rejectmaster

Postby rejectmaster » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:49 am

i have to attend an appellate argument for class this term

i'm going home when spring break starts and there is a us court of appeals close by - can i just show up or is there something I have to do in advance?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:33 pm

rejectmaster wrote:i have to attend an appellate argument for class this term

i'm going home when spring break starts and there is a us court of appeals close by - can i just show up or is there something I have to do in advance?

I just showed up, nobody said anything or seemed to care.

rejectmaster

Postby rejectmaster » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:54 pm

beach_terror wrote:
rejectmaster wrote:i have to attend an appellate argument for class this term

I just showed up, nobody said anything or seemed to care.

that's what i'll do, i just have to make to leave my crack pipe at home (weird how that always ends up in my pocket)

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:55 pm

On Monday, the primary gunner in my class referred to the writings of ancient Greeks in order to refute the professor's point. He then referred to himself as a classicist and said that our legal system has degenerated. Am I allowed to punch this fucker yet?

rejectmaster

Postby rejectmaster » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:03 pm

clintonius wrote:On Monday, the primary gunner in my class referred to the writings of ancient Greeks in order to refute the professor's point. He then referred to himself as a classicist and said that our legal system has degenerated. Am I allowed to punch this fucker yet?

dude i just go into a cocoon whenever i enter the law school building. i hate being there, the atmosphere just makes me uncomfortable. my professors are great, i like the material but something is so off.

it reminds me of being in classes for my major that overlapped with pre-med requirements.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:07 pm

rejectmaster wrote:
clintonius wrote:On Monday, the primary gunner in my class referred to the writings of ancient Greeks in order to refute the professor's point. He then referred to himself as a classicist and said that our legal system has degenerated. Am I allowed to punch this fucker yet?

dude i just go into a cocoon whenever i enter the law school building. i hate being there, the atmosphere just makes me uncomfortable. my professors are great, i like the material but something is so off.

it reminds me of being in classes for my major that overlapped with pre-med requirements.

Most people in my section are really chill and only speak up when they have something to contribute, and I think I'm lucky to have landed a class with such a congenial atmosphere overall. But man, this guy is a DOUCHE.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:56 pm

I can't find my property book. I've checked my house and car. I'm wondering if I should drive back to school to check my locker, but, I really don't feel like it. Ugh. If it's lost I dont' even know what to do.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:46 pm

HarlandBassett wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Most careers don't require a specific bachelors and most majors don't really give you a huge leg up. You can get a CPA without an accounting major. You can certainly do business major stuff without a business major. You can learn programming and be a programmer without any degree.

Getting a second bachelor might not be a terrible idea, but financial aid for it is very limited. Maybe part time at your local state school.

TL;DR; get a real job you immature, school loving, slackers.

Not necessarily true. In NY state, at my alma mater, you need to declare the accounting major to take certain accounting related courses, such as Cost Accounting, Individual Taxation, Managerial Accounting, all of which are required coursework for the CPA. It really depends on the school and what state you live in.

So take them at a different college.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”