Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
GATORTIM

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby GATORTIM » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:35 pm

beach_terror wrote:I seriously loathe law school...should have majored in something useful

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:14 pm

beach_terror wrote:tried to be a pro video gamer

after successfully climbing to the top of the WC3 east coast ladder, i spent several years living under the delusion that i might have what it takes to be at the top of the video game trade. then i saw a documentary on south korean professional SC2 players. law school is probably easier.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:15 pm

I have a fever and keep dreaming about my brief. I'm also going to fall way behind on pretty much all of my work since I have the freakin' flu :(.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:43 pm

dailygrind wrote:

after successfully climbing to the top of the WC3 east coast ladder, i spent several years living under the delusion that i might have what it takes to be at the top of the video game trade. then i saw a documentary on south korean professional SC2 players. law school is probably easier.

That's why you don't play SC and play CS instead :wink:

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:45 pm

dailygrind wrote:

I'd be very interested in watching this documentary. I'm actually surprised it exists, seeing how SC2 has only been out for like 9(?) months now?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:00 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
dailygrind wrote:

I'd be very interested in watching this documentary. I'm actually surprised it exists, seeing how SC2 has only been out for like 9(?) months now?

the progaming scene already existed, though, from brood war. many of the brood war teams started allowing some of their players to play SC2 in beta, and several of the new teams were formed by mostly ex-brood war pros or coaches. i'm not sure what documentary he's talking about, though.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:08 pm

for clarity, i didn't watch the entire documentary, just an excerpt on youtube talking about the professional gaming scene in SK, how the pros lived, and how they practiced. i can't find the exact clip right now, but i've got another excerpt from the same documentary which demonstrates handspeed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbpCLqryN-Q

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:12 pm

dailygrind wrote:for clarity, i didn't watch the entire documentary, just an excerpt on youtube talking about the professional gaming scene in SK, how the pros lived, and how they practiced. i can't find the exact clip right now, but i've got another excerpt from the same documentary which demonstrates handspeed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbpCLqryN-Q

I've seen that one before, apparently "The Hax life"? Will look into it.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:39 pm

GATORTIM wrote:
beach_terror wrote:I seriously loathe law school...should have majored in something useful

Postby 09042014 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:39 pm

rad law wrote:
GATORTIM wrote:

I should have not sucked at majoring in something useful.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:39 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
rad law wrote:
GATORTIM wrote:

+1

Postby 09042014 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:41 pm

fatduck wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
rad law wrote:
GATORTIM wrote:

+1

Where did you get your EE degree from?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:42 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
fatduck wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
rad law wrote:

+1

Where did you get your EE degree from?

CMU

lolschool2011

Postby lolschool2011 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:47 pm

Quick question....

Do you think it would be a better idea to attend a TTT law school at sticker, or simply redo an entire new undergraduate degree (sticker as well) at a better university and complete it in three years? I think most would agree that UG can easily be completed in 3 years if you subtract the partying.

It's a serious question; from the point of view of future earnings/job security, would it make more sense to "retake" and get a useful undergraduate degree instead of a TTT JD w/debt?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:49 pm

lolschool2011 wrote:Quick question....

Do you think it would be a better idea to attend a TTT law school at sticker, or simply redo an entire new undergraduate degree (sticker as well) at a better university and complete it in three years? I think most would agree that UG can easily be completed in 3 years if you subtract the partying.

It's a serious question; from the point of view of future earnings/job security, would it make more sense to "retake" and get a useful undergraduate degree instead of a TTT JD w/debt?

why not just get a masters or phd or better go to b-school

mths

Postby mths » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:50 pm

What's your UG degree now?

lolschool2011

Postby lolschool2011 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:52 pm

mths wrote:

What's your UG degree now?

No this isn't directed towards myself.... but regarding the previous poster's comment, not sure B-school is worth it. Business changes too fast these days for most B-schools to stay relevant. Harvard even admitted this in their own business school journal.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:53 pm

If you have a UG degree already you should be able to get a new degree within a year with either 18 credit semesters or doing some summer classes. Most majors take 12 classes unless its Bio/Pre-Med and if you already have an undergrad degree you should have EVERYTHING else covered to graduate.

lolschool2011

Postby lolschool2011 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:54 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:If you have a UG degree already you should be able to get a new degree within a year with either 18 credit semesters or doing some summer classes. Most majors take 12 classes unless its Bio/Pre-Med and if you already have an undergrad degree you should have EVERYTHING else covered to graduate.

True - good point.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:12 pm

Most careers don't require a specific bachelors and most majors don't really give you a huge leg up. You can get a CPA without an accounting major. You can certainly do business major stuff without a business major. You can learn programming and be a programmer without any degree.

Getting a second bachelor might not be a terrible idea, but financial aid for it is very limited. Maybe part time at your local state school.

TL;DR; get a real job you immature, school loving, slackers.

lolschool2011

Postby lolschool2011 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:27 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Most careers don't require a specific bachelors and most majors don't really give you a huge leg up. You can get a CPA without an accounting major. You can certainly do business major stuff without a business major. You can learn programming and be a programmer without any degree.

Getting a second bachelor might not be a terrible idea, but financial aid for it is very limited. Maybe part time at your local state school.

TL;DR; get a real job you immature, school loving, slackers.

Or become a professor.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:20 pm

My appellate brief is a such a joke I am embarrassed to bring this to my prof tomorrow morning for review.

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:22 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:My appellate brief is a such a joke I am embarrassed to bring this to my prof tomorrow morning for review.

I was embarrassed to submit mine too. Even though it is ungraded I felt foolish putting my name on something that I wouldn't even wipe my ass with.

mths

Postby mths » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:37 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:My appellate brief is a such a joke I am embarrassed to bring this to my prof tomorrow morning for review.

how nice it must be to have your prof review things for you

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:43 pm

I spent today eating ice pops, sleeping and forcing myself to drink about a gallon of juice. I actually miss reading ConLawl at this point :(.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”