Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
BarbellDreams

Gold

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Post by BarbellDreams » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:50 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
moandersen wrote: i feel like our section gets the short end of the stick compared to other sections and their open note exams and their lax lrw classes.
I think everybody feels like that at some point or another. One section gets better profs, one gets fewer assignments, one has open note exams (my section didn't have a single open-note exam last semester, while most others did), etc. It's just one of those things you don't have much control over. I'd say it's safe to say that it evens out over the course of the year though.
I would be ecstatic at all 4 classes being closed note. I never looked at an outline once during exams last semester and feel like I memorize it well enough so I likely won't again this semester. If all the people that DID use outlines didn't get them I would have been higher on the curve.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:52 pm

legal research bugs me more than anything I think so far.

I can spend 2 hours looking through cases for that one final point I need to make on my brief and get absolutely nowhere

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:59 pm

BarbellDreams wrote: Not sure if we're less scared cause we know whats coming or because everyone is just burned out but at his time last semester I was in the library tearing through supplements and starting outlines till 10 p.m. while now I am barely getting through the reading and half our section is planning on skipping Thursday because of the supposed good weather.
Uh, shouldn't you have recovered from your "burn out" during winter break?

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:11 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote: Not sure if we're less scared cause we know whats coming or because everyone is just burned out but at his time last semester I was in the library tearing through supplements and starting outlines till 10 p.m. while now I am barely getting through the reading and half our section is planning on skipping Thursday because of the supposed good weather.
Uh, shouldn't you have recovered from your "burn out" during winter break?
If anything should be taken from last semester, its the disproportionate importance of the final month and a half.

Take it easy in the beginning, keep up, then push to burnout toward the end.

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:22 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:
moandersen wrote: i feel like our section gets the short end of the stick compared to other sections and their open note exams and their lax lrw classes.
I think everybody feels like that at some point or another. One section gets better profs, one gets fewer assignments, one has open note exams (my section didn't have a single open-note exam last semester, while most others did), etc. It's just one of those things you don't have much control over. I'd say it's safe to say that it evens out over the course of the year though.
I would be ecstatic at all 4 classes being closed note. I never looked at an outline once during exams last semester and feel like I memorize it well enough so I likely won't again this semester. If all the people that DID use outlines didn't get them I would have been higher on the curve.
Yeah. That's kind of why I would prefer closed-book exams as well. I guess that, in the end, it really doesn't hurt or help too much either way though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:00 pm

beach_terror wrote: If anything should be taken from last semester, its the disproportionate importance of the final month and a half.

This. I have trouble doing stuff now when I know I am just going to have to bust ass in a couple months.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:05 pm

kalvano wrote:
beach_terror wrote: If anything should be taken from last semester, its the disproportionate importance of the final month and a half.

This. I have trouble doing stuff now when I know I am just going to have to bust ass in a couple months.
i'm working on it now so that last sprint is less painful. i did best in the class where i had a good outline completed before reading period began. i'm hoping to duplicate that with other classes this semester.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:17 pm

dailygrind wrote:
kalvano wrote:

i'm working on it now so that last sprint is less painful. i did best in the class where i had a good outline completed before reading period began. i'm hoping to duplicate that with other classes this semester.

I did my best in classes where I made a barely functional outline the day before.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:22 pm

kalvano wrote:
dailygrind wrote:
kalvano wrote:

I did my best in classes where I made a barely functional outline the day before.

::shrug:: even if that mirrored my success pattern i'd probably be working pretty hard right now anyway. i'd just have too many regrets if i didn't work hard, i'd always feel like i could have done better if i'd applied myself.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:27 pm

I started outlining about a month and a half before finals last semester but for every single class I finished the outline the night before the exam and never used it on the exam. I think just creating the outline itself is the best studying you could do the week before finals.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:28 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:I think just creating the outline itself is the best studying you could do the week before finals.
No doubt about it. That, and practice exams.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:29 pm

romothesavior wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:I think just creating the outline itself is the best studying you could do the week before finals.
No doubt about it. That, and practice exams.
i believe every prof i have teaching this semester is new to teaching the subject. they're all great teachers, but it worries me so far as practice tests go.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:05 am

BarbellDreams wrote:I started outlining about a month and a half before finals last semester but for every single class I finished the outline the night before the exam and never used it on the exam. I think just creating the outline itself is the best studying you could do the week before finals.
I think I'm one of the very few that actually used my outlines on all of the exams :lol:. Looking back, my worst exam performance was also my worst outline by far (and the least functional in terms of tailoring it to my professor's exam).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:21 am

dailygrind wrote:::shrug:: even if that mirrored my success pattern i'd probably be working pretty hard right now anyway. i'd just have too many regrets if i didn't work hard, i'd always feel like i could have done better if i'd applied myself.

For sure. I mean, I keep up with where we are in class and get a good overview of everything, but I am not going to get down to the nuts and bolts of it all until later.

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:23 am

Finally over the hump day, now I can relax tomorrow ... wait, no.

Tomorrow is an administrative Monday. 4 hours of class. FML

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:24 pm

Nvm..got it handled

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:10 pm

romothesavior wrote:
dailygrind wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
dailygrind wrote:first section of appellate brief due tomorrow. i think they wanted 10-12 pages. i've got 8. think they'll tell me i'm in danger of failing if i hand it in as is? it's pretty well reasoned, just not as long as they want it to be. i could easily fluff it to 10 pages, though. that might be the reasonable thing to do...
Is it just a draft? I don't think being too short can really hurt you.
yeah. i'm going to rework it a bit more anyway, so if they make me revise it it's not like it's work i won't be doing anyway. fuckit, i'm handing it in as is.
That's the spirit.
lol, i got called out by the prof, but i didn't get placed in the remedial class. seems like i put the ball exactly where i wanted it to go.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:42 pm

Pretty obvious I never read for LRW when I raise my hand and ask stupid questions.

Me: "So would you suggest we do _______ or ________?"
LRW Prof: "I think you should look at the reading for today for the answer to that."

lol @ me

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:44 pm

romothesavior wrote:Pretty obvious I never read for LRW when I raise my hand and ask stupid questions.

LRW Prof: "I think you should look at the reading for today for the answer to that."

lol @ me
lol @ asking questions in class

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:34 pm

romothesavior wrote:Pretty obvious I never read for LRW when I raise my hand and ask stupid questions.

lol @ me

"I think I pay your fucking salary with my stupidly high tuition, so answer the goddamn question."

Zindras

New

Post by Zindras » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:42 pm

In class... girl in front of me is playing World of Warcraft.

Why even go to class??

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:55 am

What's that you say? The rule against perpetuities will not be on the final?

Yes please!

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:33 am

PirateCap'n wrote:
I think everybody feels like that at some point or another. One section gets better profs, one gets fewer assignments, one has open note exams (my section didn't have a single open-note exam last semester, while most others did), etc. It's just one of those things you don't have much control over. I'd guess it's safe to say that it evens out over the course of the year though.
I have arguably the best CivPro professor, but our exam is closed book....so I guess it kind of balances out.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:05 pm

I am flat out dying in classes right now. I will be bottom 10% to balance out 1st semester grades if this continues. No motivation at all lately.

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:50 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:I am flat out dying in classes right now. I will be bottom 10% to balance out 1st semester grades if this continues. No motivation at all lately.
I'm "proofing" my citations right now which pretty much means check one then surf the internet or doing something else remotely more interesting than legal writing (such as waxing my car or sticking my head in a fucking dumpster) for an hour or so and then going back to my brief.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”