Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby traehekat » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:38 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Our school said there are no jobs and put on an event explaining alternate career paths with your JD in the current economy. How is that for transparency?


soul crushed

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:39 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Our school said there are no jobs and put on an event explaining alternate career paths with your JD in the current economy. How is that for transparency?


what???? the fuck. please tell me where you go to school

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:13 pm

A T2 so they are basically on point.

Racer 10 Seconds
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:47 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby Racer 10 Seconds » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:17 pm

...
Last edited by Racer 10 Seconds on Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7249
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby beach_terror » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:36 pm

romothesavior wrote:
beach_terror wrote:When I open abovethelaw and see my school knowingly misreported admissions data, I want to kill myself. Or in the alternative, transfer. Temple, here I come.

I just looked and read the article and I thought, HOLY COW! Stop the presses! Law schools intentionally giving false information?

Honestly, this article is actually not helpful to the cause of "transparency," because it makes it look like this is an isolated incident. And who cares about false admissions information? The real issue is the pervasive and blatant false information being peddled by schools with respect to career data.

The only thing it really affects is scholarship money, because all the classes were compared against inflated medians. Class of 2009 median LSAT was reported as 162, but was in fact a 159.

In other news, this semester has a ton more work already. This brief hanging over my head is making it difficult to stay ahead, and my OCI interviews are this week. Blergh.

stayway
Posts: 1275
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:38 am

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby stayway » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:56 pm

brief + school scandal + needing to CALI this semester + no 1L gig yet + upcoming interview = making me want to drink badly

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10384
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby TTH » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:42 am

Racer 10 Seconds wrote:Georgetown has "3L Career Boot Camp" advertisements up for 3L's without jobs. OCS will help them "move beyond your comfort zone," and "reevaluate your job searching methods."

Helpful maybe to jobless 3L's, but scary to imagine myself needing that in two years.


Loving the logic behind this.

"Made it through two years of law school and facing the grim prospect of no job after graduation? Come get some advice from the people who have failed to help you this past five semesters!"

Job fears notwithstanding, the idea of being a last-semester 3L right now sounds amazing.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7249
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby beach_terror » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:14 am

1L SA interview tomorrow, mix of excited and nervous. Gone through all the questions a million times in my head, and I can answer them honestly and confidently. God, I want this job. Target firm is in mah sights.

User avatar
solotee
Posts: 481
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby solotee » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:30 pm

beach_terror wrote:1L SA interview tomorrow, mix of excited and nervous. Gone through all the questions a million times in my head, and I can answer them honestly and confidently. God, I want this job. Target firm is in mah sights.


3 things firms want to know:

1) can you do the work
2) can they keep you (another words are you genuinely interested in the area)
3) do they like you.

Just stay grounded, and know that they are interviewing other students, and are going to other schools.

Good luck!

User avatar
solotee
Posts: 481
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby solotee » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:31 pm

nooyyllib wrote:brief + school scandal + needing to CALI this semester + no 1L gig yet + upcoming interview = making me want to drink badly


+1 :?

missinglink
Posts: 946
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:49 am

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby missinglink » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:09 pm

nooyyllib wrote:brief + school scandal + needing to CALI this semester + no 1L gig yet + upcoming interview = making me want to drink badly

??

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:12 pm

missinglink wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:brief + school scandal + needing to CALI this semester + no 1L gig yet + upcoming interview = making me want to drink badly

??


I can only assume Villanova. The article that came out about them today on ATL is way worse than the original. I think current 1L's will still be fine for this year but next year's class is going to have a hell of a time.

missinglink
Posts: 946
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:49 am

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby missinglink » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:19 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
missinglink wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:brief + school scandal + needing to CALI this semester + no 1L gig yet + upcoming interview = making me want to drink badly

??


I can only assume Villanova. The article that came out about them today on ATL is way worse than the original. I think current 1L's will still be fine for this year but next year's class is going to have a hell of a time.

Oh right. I haven't read the latest. I've only read that they've been fudging their GPA/LSAT data for years now. Certainly we knew that law schools massage the data, but to outright lie about it is brazen.

TIme to check out ATL.

CChuff
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:23 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby CChuff » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:48 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
missinglink wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:brief + school scandal + needing to CALI this semester + no 1L gig yet + upcoming interview = making me want to drink badly

??


I can only assume Villanova. The article that came out about them today on ATL is way worse than the original. I think current 1L's will still be fine for this year but next year's class is going to have a hell of a time.



Why do you say that? The misstatements made by our previous Dean are certainly unconscionable. The effects of those misstatements, however, are not going to be nearly as bad as people are indicating on this forum. This is how the reporting mishap played out: There were a few years of misstatements, the old dean left, Dean Gotanda took over, 2010 statistics were reported accurately, and the misstatements were discovered thereafter. This strongly indicates that the misstatements were just the result of our corrupt former Dean and that Villanova is now lead by a ethical, and strong leader in Gotanda.

Additionally, employers are not going to stop recruiting from Villanova simply because our prior Dean inflated the numbers of incoming marks. In fact, many law firms in the area have already indicated to that effect. Villanova has a very good presence in the Philadelphia/Delware region and places in the top 40 with NALP 250 firms, and if I am consulting rankings I am consulting placement rankings, NOT U.S. News.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7249
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby beach_terror » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:53 pm

There are talks in the halls of our school of partial tuition refunds and the like in exchange for agreeing not to sue.

One teacher indicated that a lot of employers/benefactors are backing the school through the hard time, but some are obviously mad. If it wasn't for Dean Gotanda getting out in front of this and literally reporting this the day or day after he found out, the situation would be much worse.

For those that don't know, LSAT data was fudged by 3 points from previous years. This years data is accurate though.

stayway
Posts: 1275
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:38 am

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby stayway » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:54 pm

beach_terror wrote:There are talks in the halls of our school of partial tuition refunds and the like in exchange for agreeing not to sue.

One teacher indicated that a lot of employers/benefactors are backing the school through the hard time, but some are obviously mad. If it wasn't for Dean Gotanda getting out in front of this and literally reporting this the day or day after he found out, the situation would be much worse.


That's why Dean Gotanda is a G and a stud; that's how AZNz roll

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:01 pm

CChuff wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:
missinglink wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:brief + school scandal + needing to CALI this semester + no 1L gig yet + upcoming interview = making me want to drink badly

??


I can only assume Villanova. The article that came out about them today on ATL is way worse than the original. I think current 1L's will still be fine for this year but next year's class is going to have a hell of a time.



Why do you say that? The misstatements made by our previous Dean are certainly unconscionable. The effects of those misstatements, however, are not going to be nearly as bad as people are indicating on this forum. This is how the reporting mishap played out: There were a few years of misstatements, the old dean left, Dean Gotanda took over, 2010 statistics were reported accurately, and the misstatements were discovered thereafter. This strongly indicates that the misstatements were just the result of our corrupt former Dean and that Villanova is now lead by a ethical, and strong leader in Gotanda.

Additionally, employers are not going to stop recruiting from Villanova simply because our prior Dean inflated the numbers of incoming marks. In fact, many law firms in the area have already indicated to that effect. Villanova has a very good presence in the Philadelphia/Delware region and places in the top 40 with NALP 250 firms, and if I am consulting rankings I am consulting placement rankings, NOT U.S. News.


1. You're using the 2009 placement stats to say that Nova is top 40 (Ranked exactly 40). Its simply not the case anymore. Based on those same rankings USC places 41% in NLJ250 right now. I had to laugh a bit as I wrote the previous sentence its so far from the truth ITE.

2. I am simply repeating what ATL is reporting. ATL has stated that this will hamper hiring because employers simply won't know what to trust and Nova is about to lose some credibility in the market. Do I agree with them? To an extent. I don't think its going to be a end-all-be-all issue, but its not good. If this investigation reveals anything more its going to rain. ATL also reported US News is likely dropping them in the rankings next year.

I get that you wanna defend your school and I would do the same but its hard to say this story hasn't hit Nova's reputation in the legal market at all.

There are talks in the halls of our school of partial tuition refunds and the like in exchange for agreeing not to sue.


Thats amazing, knew I should have gone to Nova. Funny thing is you can make a decent case out of it.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby keg411 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:13 pm

Overheard some profs at my school gossiping about the Villanova thing. I guess it was in the Philly paper today.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7249
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby beach_terror » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:41 pm

keg411 wrote:Overheard some profs at my school gossiping about the Villanova thing. I guess it was in the Philly paper today.

cool story

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby keg411 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:50 pm

beach_terror wrote:
keg411 wrote:Overheard some profs at my school gossiping about the Villanova thing. I guess it was in the Philly paper today.

cool story


:?

CChuff
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:23 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby CChuff » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:17 pm

1. You're using the 2009 placement stats to say that Nova is top 40 (Ranked exactly 40). Its simply not the case anymore. Based on those same rankings USC places 41% in NLJ250 right now. I had to laugh a bit as I wrote the previous sentence its so far from the truth ITE.

2. I am simply repeating what ATL is reporting. ATL has stated that this will hamper hiring because employers simply won't know what to trust and Nova is about to lose some credibility in the market. Do I agree with them? To an extent. I don't think its going to be a end-all-be-all issue, but its not good. If this investigation reveals anything more its going to rain. ATL also reported US News is likely dropping them in the rankings next year.

I get that you wanna defend your school and I would do the same but its hard to say this story hasn't hit Nova's reputation in the legal market at all.

There are talks in the halls of our school of partial tuition refunds and the like in exchange for agreeing not to sue.


Thats amazing, knew I should have gone to Nova. Funny thing is you can make a decent case out of it.[/quote]


ATL doesn't have all the facts and is merely speculating. The credibility that is lost is the credibility of former Dean Seargent, NOT Dean gotanda and the current administration. Thus, this scandal, if looked at in a rational manner will not effect Nova's rep in teh legal market. I agree that if more violations are found there will be big trouble, but I am confident that there will not be.

Also, the rumor that the school is offering tuition as a settlement deal is an absolute joke. There is absolutely no such thing occuring at the school.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7249
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby beach_terror » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:37 pm

CChuff wrote:ATL doesn't have all the facts and is merely speculating. The credibility that is lost is the credibility of former Dean Seargent, NOT Dean gotanda and the current administration. Thus, this scandal, if looked at in a rational manner will not effect Nova's rep in teh legal market. I agree that if more violations are found there will be big trouble, but I am confident that there will not be.

Also, the rumor that the school is offering tuition as a settlement deal is an absolute joke. There is absolutely no such thing occuring at the school.

Nobody has all the facts yet. Further, where did you get your information? A teacher who's a high up in the administration said that they have been in discussion over ways to remedy this for current students. It's been a pretty resounding yes that the school is vulnerable to a lawsuit right now.

Further, if you look at this "rationally"... why would anyone hire another Villanova student until after the audit? There's reason to believe that other information has been meddled with.

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:52 pm

CChuff wrote:1. You're using the 2009 placement stats to say that Nova is top 40 (Ranked exactly 40). Its simply not the case anymore. Based on those same rankings USC places 41% in NLJ250 right now. I had to laugh a bit as I wrote the previous sentence its so far from the truth ITE.

2. I am simply repeating what ATL is reporting. ATL has stated that this will hamper hiring because employers simply won't know what to trust and Nova is about to lose some credibility in the market. Do I agree with them? To an extent. I don't think its going to be a end-all-be-all issue, but its not good. If this investigation reveals anything more its going to rain. ATL also reported US News is likely dropping them in the rankings next year.

I get that you wanna defend your school and I would do the same but its hard to say this story hasn't hit Nova's reputation in the legal market at all.

There are talks in the halls of our school of partial tuition refunds and the like in exchange for agreeing not to sue.


Thats amazing, knew I should have gone to Nova. Funny thing is you can make a decent case out of it.



ATL doesn't have all the facts and is merely speculating. The credibility that is lost is the credibility of former Dean Seargent, NOT Dean gotanda and the current administration. Thus, this scandal, if looked at in a rational manner will not effect Nova's rep in teh legal market. I agree that if more violations are found there will be big trouble, but I am confident that there will not be.

Also, the rumor that the school is offering tuition as a settlement deal is an absolute joke. There is absolutely no such thing occuring at the school.
[/quote]

The problem with that is you're offering mere opinions which are speculating that it DOESN'T affect their rep. You also did not address my placement stats argument which leads me to conclude that you agree that 2009 NLJ placement is simply not accurate ITE.

I have no idea whether the school is discussing partial refunds or not, I was just going off of what beach_terror said.

This will obviously blow over unless something else is found, but I predict a small decline is placement and rankings next year. Just my own opinion, I have no ties to Philly nor do I have any desire to practice there so this is about as objective as you can find on TLS.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby romothesavior » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:56 pm

I just find it amusing that people are up in arms over this "scandal" but CSO offices manipulate and misreport and it is just another day in the office.

stayway
Posts: 1275
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:38 am

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby stayway » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:09 pm

Image

This is the ATL we are talking about right?




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], EZ as AsDf, jsk1203 and 5 guests