Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Mickey Quicknumbers

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:23 pm

lolschool2011 wrote:
There's too many rules ITT. I'm out.

tbf you're also not C/O 2013

lawloser22

Postby lawloser22 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:30 pm

traehekat wrote:Thanks for the suit suggestions everyone. Picked up a new one today, very happy with my choice.

What'd you get? I'm going look for one this weekend... Any suggestions?

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:31 pm

If you have $300-400 to swing J Los Bank always does insane deals where if you buy one suit you get 2 ties and 2 shirts free.

Mens Warehouse does a buy one get one free suit sale all the time too.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:32 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:If you have $300-400 to swing J Los Bank always does insane deals where if you buy one suit you get 2 ties and 2 shirts free.

Do you mean Jos. A. Bank?

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:33 pm

beach_terror wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:If you have $300-400 to swing J Los Bank always does insane deals where if you buy one suit you get 2 ties and 2 shirts free.

Do you mean Jos. A. Bank?

Haha I do, not sure where the other title came from.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:40 pm

Oof, I despise Men's Wearhouse -- their salesmen are pushy and their suits are cheap, though not inexpensive once you factor in the tailoring that they charge you for (a sub-$350 suit became $500 after alterations). Also, their tailors suck. /anecdotal

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:43 pm

clintonius wrote:Oof, I despise Men's Wearhouse -- their salesmen are pushy and their suits are cheap, though not inexpensive once you factor in the tailoring that they charge you for (a sub-$350 suit became $500 after alterations). Also, their tailors suck. /anecdotal

I started my search at Mens Wearhouse and thought the place sucked and the dude that was helping me was pushing heavy pinstripes for a job interview. I was like bro, sorry, I'm out. Went up the street to Jos. A. Bank and I got one of their top end suits for cheaper than the Mens Wearhouse shithole suits. Suckers.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:47 pm

beach_terror wrote:
clintonius wrote:Oof, I despise Men's Wearhouse -- their salesmen are pushy and their suits are cheap, though not inexpensive once you factor in the tailoring that they charge you for (a sub-$350 suit became $500 after alterations). Also, their tailors suck. /anecdotal

I started my search at Mens Wearhouse and thought the place sucked and the dude that was helping me was pushing heavy pinstripes for a job interview. I was like bro, sorry, I'm out. Went up the street to Jos. A. Bank and I got one of their top end suits for cheaper than the Mens Wearhouse shithole suits. Suckers.

Have you looked at Pufer's advice for the suit thread?

lawloser22

Postby lawloser22 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:55 pm

delBarco wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

Yeah, basically what I got from that was get a navy and a charcoal. Jos A Bank has a buy one for $177, get another for $57 sale right now, but it ends today and I'm not about to buy one online (store is closed already).

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:55 pm

lawloser22 wrote:
traehekat wrote:Thanks for the suit suggestions everyone. Picked up a new one today, very happy with my choice.

Kenneth Cole, pretty sure it is this:

http://www.younkers.com/shop/men/suit-separates/kenneth-cole-reaction-suit-separates-coat-gray-stripe_149167.html

Randomly stopped in Younkers just to check it out, and this was almost exactly what I was looking for. Plus it was really cheap and fit great. Can't justify spending more than $250 on a suit at this point in my life.

lawloser22

Postby lawloser22 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:58 pm

traehekat wrote:
lawloser22 wrote:

Kenneth Cole, pretty sure it is this:

http://www.younkers.com/shop/men/suit-separates/kenneth-cole-reaction-suit-separates-coat-gray-stripe_149167.html

Randomly stopped in Younkers just to check it out, and this was almost exactly what I was looking for. Plus it was really cheap and fit great. Can't justify spending more than $250 on a suit at this point in my life.

Nice, thanks!

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:01 pm

delBarco wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

Someone link me?

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:01 pm

Btw, +1 to Men's Wearhouse being not so great. I stopped in there and they seem overpriced for what you get. They were somewhat helpful, though, with my questions.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:06 pm

beach_terror wrote:
delBarco wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

Someone link me?

It's on this page

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=63606&hilit=suits+clothing&start=125

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:22 pm

Interesting. Yeah I picked up a Signature Gold for 350 with alterations, so I got a good deal by his standards.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:24 pm

Opinions on pinstripes? (specifically on the suit I picked up, I guess... http://www.younkers.com/shop/men/suit-separates/kenneth-cole-reaction-suit-separates-coat-gray-stripe_149167.html)

Pufer said no to them, but I feel they are alright if they don't stand out a lot (you have to zoom in pretty close on the pic in the link to even tell there are pinstripes). Plus I guess they make you looker taller? =/

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:27 pm

You can usually deal with small pinstripes as long as they aren't all over the place. For interviews I prefer no pinstripes though. I have a black small pinstripe suit (people call it the mobster suit) and while its my favorite suit I wouldn't be comfortable wearing it to an interview.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:30 pm

traehekat wrote:Opinions on pinstripes? (specifically on the suit I picked up, I guess... http://www.younkers.com/shop/men/suit-separates/kenneth-cole-reaction-suit-separates-coat-gray-stripe_149167.html)

Pufer said no to them, but I feel they are alright if they don't stand out a lot. Plus I guess they make you looker taller? =/

I agree with Pufer here. Especially when it comes to interviews or when you're starting some place new. When you're just starting out, go with some more basic suits and build your wardrobe around those.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:33 pm

As far as pinstriped suits go, that's probably one of the best ones I've seen because they aren't too prominent. That said, I'd still rather go on the safe side. No pinstripes.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:38 pm

Ugh you guys are making me second guess my choice. god damn impulse purchases.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:39 pm

traehekat wrote:Ugh you guys are making me second guess my choice. god damn impulse purchases.

It may not be the best suit for an interview, but you can definitely wear it on the job. I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

You might even be able to get away with it in an interview, I dunno. It is pretty subtle.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:45 pm

romothesavior wrote:
traehekat wrote:Ugh you guys are making me second guess my choice. god damn impulse purchases.

It may not be the best suit for an interview, but you can definitely wear it on the job. I don't think there's anything wrong with it.
gdane
You might even be able to get away with it in an interview, I dunno. It is pretty subtle.

And, are you sure it's gonna fit? Maybe it's just me but it looks "meh" on the guy who's modeling it.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:47 pm

delBarco wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

gdane

And, are you sure it's gonna fit? Maybe it's just me but it looks "meh" on the guy who's modeling it.

I would go with worse than "meh." It looks like a guy who bought a suit off the rack at J.C.Penney and never bothered to have it tailored.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:55 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
delBarco wrote:And, are you sure it's gonna fit? Maybe it's just me but it looks "meh" on the guy who's modeling it.

I would go with worse than "meh." It looks like a guy who bought a suit off the rack at J.C.Penney and never bothered to have it tailored.

I was trying to be nice :|

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:58 pm

delBarco wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
delBarco wrote:And, are you sure it's gonna fit? Maybe it's just me but it looks "meh" on the guy who's modeling it.

I was trying to be nice :|

Do you not know how TLS works?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”