Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Grizz

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:38 pm

beach_terror wrote:
blerg wrote:
goosey wrote:i REALLY hate con law.
so much.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:39 pm

rad law wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
blerg wrote:
so much.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:40 pm

rad law wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
blerg wrote:
goosey wrote:i REALLY hate con law CIVPRO so much.

FTFM. I love con law so far.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:48 pm

I actually really like Civ Pro. Our prof goes a little fast and most people complain but other than that the ways to screw people with the FRCP fascinate me.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:50 pm

I don't think I can actually say I've had a class yet where I've disliked the course material (although there have been times that I've consciously gone out of my way to make some of the topics interesting).

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:51 pm

rad law wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
blerg wrote:
so much.

I don't so much hate it. I just don't understand it.

at all.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:04 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:I actually really like Civ Pro. Our prof goes a little fast and most people complain but other than that the ways to screw people with the FRCP fascinate me.

We haven't gotten to anything like that. We've just been slowly and painfully going over personal jurisdiction

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:06 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:I actually really like Civ Pro. Our prof goes a little fast and most people complain but other than that the ways to screw people with the FRCP fascinate me.

We haven't gotten to anything like that. We've just been slowly and painfully going over personal jurisdiction

My school has Civ Pro I (first semester, all jurisdiction) and Civ Pro 2(2nd semester, all FRCP). Jurisdiction starts off slow and painful but I loved it by the end, especially Erie (though some subject matter/ venue stuff is pretty cool too). Basically you can forget about everything before International Shoe and dear God don't waste time trying to understand Pennoyer.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:08 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:

We are doing

pleading -> discovery -> now MSJ

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:10 pm

We just finished counterclaims and crossclaims and now are moving on to impleader. The first day she rattled off like 10 FRCPs and everything about discovery, not sure if that counted as the "lesson".

savagecheater

Postby savagecheater » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:06 pm

Last edited by savagecheater on Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:43 pm

We did all of CivPro in one semester. It was horrible and it was a pain, but I have to say, I liked it in the end.

I really really like my ConLaw teacher. I don't really get the class (still feel like I'm in history), but he's good and so far, we have had zero annoying political arguments in class and he purposely structures his questions to keep it that way. He also manages to avoid injecting his own political opinions.

Property is okay so far, but I don't trust it.

TigerBeer

Postby TigerBeer » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:55 pm

savagecheater wrote:
Racer 10 Seconds wrote:thinking-pwned

wtf is this

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:14 am

TigerBeer wrote:
savagecheater wrote:thinking-pwned
wtf is this

what you get in law school.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:43 am

Property > Contracts > Con Law for me so far. Property is fun and pretty straightforward.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:05 am

romothesavior wrote:Seems like this thread has died and all the 1Ls have moved to the grades thread, but with second semester starting up, I'd say it is time to migrate back into here.

Random thought... Is anyone else just finding themselves constantly annoyed by law school and people in your classes? I mean, I guess that is what happens when you spend every day with the same people over and over and over, but man... I just find myself becoming Mr. Negativity towards everyone and everything this semester.

I somewhat feel the same, not annoyed but I have noticed a change from last semester to this one

It seems like people are a bit more distant. I think part of it is due to naturally joining clicks and not wanting to put out the effort to mingle w/ others, but I also do think that there's just more stress around than first semester. I don't know... I kind of lucked out, my moot court and elective seem to be easier than other people's so maybe they're just doing may more work than I am. The thing about being around the same people so much is that when there is a stressful period everyone is affected at the same time so everyone is less likely to give leeway... kind of like a multiplier effect. Last semester that sort of feeling came in predictable waves (the week memo drafts were due for example), but now its more like a steady stream than a wave.

/reflection

dunno
Last edited by Borhas on Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:05 am

Crim > Civ Pro > Con Law > Evidence

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:59 am

rad law wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:

We are doing

pleading -> discovery -> now MSJ

for what it's worth, claim and issue preclusion have been my favorite thing in law school up to this point. I don't know why but it was a blast for me.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:03 am

For me, its...

Con law >>>>>>>>>>>>>> civ pro = crim

And con law isn't even that great, it is just better than the other two. I guess I just like history and government a lot. Crim will likely get better, but we have done so much philosophical stuff and not really gotten into the cases and the MPC very much at all. It is like the "first day overview" has dragged on for two weeks.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:07 am

I'm feelin so far:

Taxation and business strategy >>>>> Crim >>> con law = property.

Property is the most dry class that exists in all of humanity. Con law is incredibly confusing to me, crim is enjoyable (largely due to professor), and tax is my one true love.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:12 am

We watch movie and randomly argue in Property. She doesn't get to the reading half the time. It is the biggest blow off class so far. Good thing too cause Con Law takes 2 hours to read and I still cant answer half the questions he asks during class.

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:17 am

Con Law can seriously suck it! Those opinions are brutally verbose and so far have been insanely twisted logic and wordplay by the justices to impart their will in the other 2 branches. I think its ridiculous that we will spend 4+ weeks discussing cases illustrative of the balance of power b/w the 3 branches.

I typically struggle to formulate any insightful thoughts/opinions regarding Arts 1-3; however my colleagues seem comfortable spouting off their fkn opinions for 3/4 of the class. Stfu. Whew, that felt good.

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:25 am

GATORTIM wrote:Con Law can seriously suck it! Those opinions are brutally verbose and so far have been insanely twisted logic and wordplay by the justices to impart their will in the other 2 branches. I think its ridiculous that we will spend 4+ weeks discussing cases illustrative of the balance of power b/w the 3 branches.

I typically struggle to formulate any insightful thoughts/opinions regarding Arts 1-3; however my colleagues seem comfortable spouting off their fkn opinions for 3/4 of the class. Stfu. Whew, that felt good.

so-signed, although there's less gunning/debate in my class since it seems most of us are just struggling to get through the material. I bought Chemerinsky, but I haven't opened it yet. :?

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:24 pm

romothesavior wrote:For me, its...

Con law >>>>>>>>>>>>>> civ pro = crim

And con law isn't even that great, it is just better than the other two. I guess I just like history and government a lot. Crim will likely get better, but we have done so much philosophical stuff and not really gotten into the cases and the MPC very much at all. It is like the "first day overview" has dragged on for two weeks.

Man, my con law class is awful. It has to get better -- this guy got insanely good reviews the last time he taught the class. But it's just straight goddamn lecture for two hours, covering some portion of approximately 100 pages of reading per period.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:27 pm

I still love law school but I definitely feel like many of the people who didn't do well last semester are now showing a mean streak. There's an aggressiveness about, "Did you get THAT outline? Can I have it?" and a competitive feeling that wasn't really obvious, in the fall.
Whatevs. I'm still going to LOL in class, even if it drives the gunners nuts. :lol:

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”