Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
solotee

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby solotee » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:34 pm

beach_terror wrote:Anyone else still a bit burned out from last semester? Some days I have trouble working up the motivation to keep going, especially after seeing how disproportionate the last month is in terms of importance.

I don't think I'm burned out, but damn is it hard to get back into gear. Last semester fear of the unknown (exams) motivated me. This semester...ugh.. I need to find something to motivate me this semester.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:31 pm

solotee wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Anyone else still a bit burned out from last semester? Some days I have trouble working up the motivation to keep going, especially after seeing how disproportionate the last month is in terms of importance.

I don't think I'm burned out, but damn is it hard to get back into gear. Last semester fear of the unknown (exams) motivated me. This semester...ugh.. I need to find something to motivate me this semester.

Everybody is coming for you. How's that for motivation?

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:43 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:My torts professor literally does not breath when explaining his train of thought. I was only able to type up a good three sentences in yesterday's class . . . this will be an interesting semester.

Epstein?

No, he speaks a little slower than Epstein. I have Geistfeld.

BaiAilian2013 wrote:I was realizing the exact same thing yesterday - he literally does not breath. Even during the 'um's. I cannot for the life of me point out a moment when he could be taking a breath. I think he might be a circular breather. Someone should find out if he ever played a brass/wind instrument.

Whenever I'm finally on call I'm going to be stressing for fear that I will lose track of his questions.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:27 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
clintonius wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:My torts professor literally does not breath when explaining his train of thought. I was only able to type up a good three sentences in yesterday's class . . . this will be an interesting semester.
Epstein?

Ha! I had him for Contracts. He was inscrutable (and brilliant, of course).
He guest-lectured a torts class last semester, and it's pretty clear how intelligent he is. But dear god, did he ever move about a million miles an hour. I felt like by the time I could get close to digesting one sentence, he had already moved onto the next sentence after the next sentence which followed the sentence I just got done grappling with. Having him teach a 1L class your first semester must have been a hell of a trip.

Yeah, that's exactly right -- I was perpetually two to three sentences behind, and often much more. It isn't just his speed, but also his word choice and the way he strings thoughts together. You know when you have to read a passage from text two or three times to really understand what it's saying, because it has a shit ton of big words and is structured complexly? That's how he talks. It drove me mad.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:29 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

You transcribe what the professor says?

I am always amazed at how many notes people take. Why do people frantically write notes when the prof is saying nothing of substantive value? Some people in my class were taking like 8 pages of notes on a basic overview of jurisdiction while the rest of us (including myself) took like 5 lines. I guess different people have different styles, but I just can't see how any of those notes would be at all useful for the exam.
Last edited by romothesavior on Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:30 pm

clintonius wrote:Yeah, that's exactly right -- I was perpetually two to three sentences behind, and often much more. It isn't just his speed, but also his word choice and the way he strings thoughts together. You know when you have to read a passage from text two or three times to really understand what it's saying, because it has a shit ton of big words and is structured complexly? That's how he talks. It drove me mad.

Yeah, exactly. My property professor, who's personal friends with him, told me that Epstein's one of the only people he knows who could walk into a room, give a talk without notes, off the cuff, about a certain topic, you could have those words transcribed, and they would be publication-ready.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:32 pm

solotee wrote:

I feel the same way. I almost wish I could fast forward to April to when things actually start to matter.

I guess I will just continue to enjoy this lack of motivation and lack of things to do by going out to the bar.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:33 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

You transcribe what the professor says?

My notes for the day, if put in sentence form, would have totaled about three sentences.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:41 pm

romothesavior wrote:
solotee wrote:

I feel the same way. I almost wish I could fast forward to April to when things actually start to matter.

I guess I will just continue to enjoy this lack of motivation and lack of things to do by going out to the bar.

I was at the bar Thursday night (have Friday off this semester) and spent 120$. Shit was fun, but god damn was it expensive. I also got thrown out of a bar for the 3rd time since law school started.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:47 am

Helmholtz wrote:
clintonius wrote:Yeah, that's exactly right -- I was perpetually two to three sentences behind, and often much more. It isn't just his speed, but also his word choice and the way he strings thoughts together. You know when you have to read a passage from text two or three times to really understand what it's saying, because it has a shit ton of big words and is structured complexly? That's how he talks. It drove me mad.
Yeah, exactly. My property professor, who's personal friends with him, told me that Epstein's one of the only people he knows who could walk into a room, give a talk without notes, off the cuff, about a certain topic, you could have those words transcribed, and they would be publication-ready.
Hehe. Another of my professors said he used to debate Epstein, and he got to the point where he wanted to demand word limits instead of time limits.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:05 pm

The lawcest has increased this semester.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:22 pm

God, Evidence is such a miserable class. This casebook is horrible.

TTH

Postby TTH » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:23 am

This. I'm struggling to get the reading done in time for class everyday because after I go to the gym, I tend to just hang out with the missus, cook dinner, watch TV, etc during the evenings.

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:36 am

TTH wrote:

This. I'm struggling to get the reading done in time for class everyday because after I go to the gym, I tend to just hang out with the missus, cook dinner, watch TV, etc during the evenings.

You just described my life

TTH

Postby TTH » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:37 am

GATORTIM wrote:
TTH wrote:

You just described my life

Yeah, someone else mentioned it already, but fall semester finals taught me (not that this is the lesson I should take away from it) that I'm going to work hard enough in the last month that I'll learn the course material then, not now.

Racer 10 Seconds

Postby Racer 10 Seconds » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:52 am

First day of class after grades have been released. I wonder if anyone's behavour will be altered by their performance. Did anyone else find people behaved differently?

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:37 pm

Not much difference in behavior that I've noticed. People seem a little more reticent in general, and I think some of the "shiny and new" appeal of law school has worn off for a lot of us.

That's another problem I'm having. Last semester, I had very little idea what was going on in my classes the first few weeks, but I was scared shitless and listened with rapt attention to everything that happened. This semester I'm just frustrated and tired. And I miss my socratic Civ Pro professor :(

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:06 pm

Why do you miss a socratic professor? After first semester, I see how much time the socratic method wastes.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:15 pm

Lots more lecturing this semester, and it bores me. That Civ Pro prof was maybe the best teacher I've ever had. The socratic method can be pretty terrible, but when it's done right, it keeps me interested and makes me think. That's more than I can say for four hours of lectures on judicial review and theories of Constitutional interpretation.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:24 pm

beach_terror wrote:Why do you miss a socratic professor? After first semester, I see how much time the socratic method wastes.

Pure socratic method fucking blows.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:07 pm

Especially in Con Law. After you spent the entire day applying to jobs and didn't read the case. And the prof won't let you go and insists on asking you questions the entire period while fully aware that you barely know the facts of this case. Yeah, the socratic method blows.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:34 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Especially in Con Law. After you spent the entire day applying to jobs and didn't read the case. And the prof won't let you go and insists on asking you questions the entire period while fully aware that you barely know the facts of this case. Yeah, the socratic method blows.

Wait until you start going on interviews. I have an interview and a networking function tomorrow and then another interview on Wednesday (that involves a 1.5 hour drive). My preparedness for class is going to plummet this week. Luckily I have no crazy socratic profs this semester.

goosey

Postby goosey » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:57 pm

i REALLY hate con law.
so much.

blerg

Postby blerg » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:23 pm

goosey wrote:i REALLY hate con law.
so much.

beach_terror