Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Mickey Quicknumbers

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:02 pm

So far:

1. Property- seems incredibly straight forward and easy . . . for now. I've the horror stories about future interests and RAP though, so i'm not letting my guard down

2. Con law- honestly have no clue what the heck is going on. all they cases we're covering so far are only mentioned in passing in Chemerinsky and seem unrelated to the points we're covering in class. I'm scurred

3. Crim law- easy the most interesting of the "main" classes. Love my teacher.

4. tax and business strategy- my one elective. This is an MBA class that is taught by a (tax) law professor in the law school. Doing math problems and thinking about business models is a welcome break from reading case law.

So feelin' good about 3/4 of my classes. We'll see how long this lasts though.

lamaga

Postby lamaga » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:23 pm

Am I at a disadvantage if I use an earlier edition of the casebook?

Professor assigned the latest edition for Property. Stated that the previous edition would be acceptable, although there were some changes -- he posted a list of approximately 3 pages of differences between the two (no real way at this point in time to gauge whether they're mostly minor or major).
Latest edition = $160, and I have a copy sitting on my desk ready to be returned. A friend just gave me the previous edition for free.

I'm gunning for A's, and I have a feeling I am going to be learning most of the material on my own (as opposed to the professor's rambling lectures). I'm kind of paranoid that I will be pouring over the text in the previous edition + miss something omitted.

(Clearly I'm a broke student who finds every dollar extremely valuable)

Thanks!

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:50 pm

So, I pretty much failed to understand RAP today in property...does anyone want to explain it to me? Please? Sigh, why did my prof have to start the semester with estates and future interests? I really hope this class gets easier at some point...

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:04 pm

lamaga wrote:Am I at a disadvantage if I use an earlier edition of the casebook?

Professor assigned the latest edition for Property. Stated that the previous edition would be acceptable, although there were some changes -- he posted a list of approximately 3 pages of differences between the two (no real way at this point in time to gauge whether they're mostly minor or major).
Latest edition = $160, and I have a copy sitting on my desk ready to be returned. A friend just gave me the previous edition for free.

I'm gunning for A's, and I have a feeling I am going to be learning most of the material on my own (as opposed to the professor's rambling lectures). I'm kind of paranoid that I will be pouring over the text in the previous edition + miss something omitted.

(Clearly I'm a broke student who finds every dollar extremely valuable)

Thanks!

I got away with it in Civ Pro with a casebook that didn't even have Twobly. It's not a big deal.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:33 am

forty-two wrote:So, I pretty much failed to understand RAP today in property...does anyone want to explain it to me? Please? Sigh, why did my prof have to start the semester with estates and future interests? I really hope this class gets easier at some point...

I loved future interests and RAP. Do the CALI lessons, they helped me a lot studying for my property final.

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:45 am

romothesavior wrote:Random thought... Is anyone else just finding themselves constantly annoyed by law school and people in your classes? I mean, I guess that is what happens when you spend every day with the same people over and over and over, but man... I just find myself becoming Mr. Negativity towards everyone and everything this semester.

Absolutely yes.

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:25 am

Kilpatrick wrote:
forty-two wrote:So, I pretty much failed to understand RAP today in property...does anyone want to explain it to me? Please? Sigh, why did my prof have to start the semester with estates and future interests? I really hope this class gets easier at some point...

I loved future interests and RAP. Do the CALI lessons, they helped me a lot studying for my property final.

Will do, thanks!

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:12 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Random thought... Is anyone else just finding themselves constantly annoyed by law school and people in your classes? I mean, I guess that is what happens when you spend every day with the same people over and over and over, but man... I just find myself becoming Mr. Negativity towards everyone and everything this semester.

Absolutely yes.

Outside of my group of friends and the few other people I'm cool with in my section, I basically want everyone to die.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:17 pm

I can't say I feel at all the same way as you guys. I really like the vast majority of my classmates and everyone is very friendly. And even the people who I didn't "like" at first, it was really only because I didn't know them and was unfairly judging. I'm constantly surprised by how friendly everyone is in my section and how much I don't mind being around them so often.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:20 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Encyclopedia Brown wrote:

Absolutely yes.

Outside of my group of friends and the few other people I'm cool with in my section, I basically want everyone to die.

Hahahaha... Yeah, I'm not quite at that level. I think I like the majority of my classmates, especially in my section. I'm just worn out by the whole "law school scene."

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:11 pm

--LinkRemoved--

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:14 pm

romothesavior wrote:Hahahaha... Yeah, I'm not quite at that level. I think I like the majority of my classmates, especially in my section. I'm just worn out by the whole "law school scene."

I haven't met a person in my section I dislike at all. I'm being dead serious

Which, of course, means that i'm "that guy" in the section that nobody likes, by process of elimination.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:35 pm

My torts professor literally does not breath when explaining his train of thought. I was only able to type up a good three sentences in yesterday's class . . . this will be an interesting semester.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:10 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:My torts professor literally does not breath when explaining his train of thought. I was only able to type up a good three sentences in yesterday's class . . . this will be an interesting semester.

Epstein?

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:37 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:My torts professor literally does not breath when explaining his train of thought. I was only able to type up a good three sentences in yesterday's class . . . this will be an interesting semester.

You transcribe what the professor says?

goosey

Postby goosey » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:50 pm

agreed on getting annoyed by people this semester. Last semester, we had one smaller class and then 2 big classes--one was straight up cold calling and the other one had volunteering, but it never got TRULY annoying. this semester we have 3 big classes, and omg..I hate the kids in the other sections. they are SO ANNOYING. theres this one kid--even the way he raises his hand pisses me off [basic idea, elbow on desk, hand raised straight up, and hand in alien-like position with a V typye gap between his middle and ring fingers...pinky/ring finger joined and middle/index finger joined. it SO PISSES me off id ont know why.] and mostly because this kid does NOT SHUT UP. like seriously, stop talking. and he raises his hand for EVERYTHING. even when the prof is cold calling, if the person takes an extra .02 seconds to answer, his arm [elbow resting on table, hands in alien position, of course] flies up. ugh. to make matters worse, three days a week we have back to back classes...so its literally 3 hours of his obnoxiousness every other day

/self

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:53 pm

Anyone else still a bit burned out from last semester? Some days I have trouble working up the motivation to keep going, especially after seeing how disproportionate the last month is in terms of importance.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:57 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Epstein?

Ha! I had him for Contracts. He was inscrutable (and brilliant, of course).

And
beach_terror wrote:Anyone else still a bit burned out from last semester? Some days I have trouble working up the motivation to keep going, especially after seeing how disproportionate the last month is in terms of importance.

yes, for the same reason. I'd really like to push myself to do better this semester, but holy fuck is it hard, especially when I start thinking about how I have to go through finals AGAIN.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:09 pm

goosey wrote:even the way he raises his hand pisses me off [basic idea, elbow on desk, hand raised straight up, and hand in alien-like position with a V typye gap between his middle and ring fingers...pinky/ring finger joined and middle/index finger joined. it SO PISSES me off id ont know why.
live long and prosper!! hahahaha.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:12 pm

I kindof like the adrenaline feel of finals compared to the everyday class routine that we'll be in for the next 2 months.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:14 pm

I was realizing the exact same thing yesterday - he literally does not breath. Even during the 'um's. I cannot for the life of me point out a moment when he could be taking a breath. I think he might be a circular breather. Someone should find out if he ever played a brass/wind instrument.

smokyroom26

Postby smokyroom26 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:17 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
goosey wrote:even the way he raises his hand pisses me off [basic idea, elbow on desk, hand raised straight up, and hand in alien-like position with a V typye gap between his middle and ring fingers...pinky/ring finger joined and middle/index finger joined. it SO PISSES me off id ont know why.
live long and prosper!! hahahaha.

+1! Goosey, just think of Vulcans whenever he talks. That way you can laugh instead of being pissed.

--ImageRemoved--

stayway

Postby stayway » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:05 pm

delBarco wrote:I kindof like the adrenaline feel of finals compared to the everyday class routine that we'll be in for the next 2 months.

I would have to agree to this.

Injecting mental steroids soon to get juiced earlier.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:12 pm

delBarco wrote:I kindof like the adrenaline feel of finals compared to the everyday class routine that we'll be in for the next 2 months.

Same bro. Nothing like the fear of unemployment to get the juices flowing.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:17 pm

clintonius wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Epstein?

Ha! I had him for Contracts. He was inscrutable (and brilliant, of course).

He guest-lectured a torts class last semester, and it's pretty clear how intelligent he is. But dear god, did he ever move about a million miles an hour. I felt like by the time I could get close to digesting one sentence, he had already moved onto the next sentence after the next sentence which followed the sentence I just got done grappling with. Having him teach a 1L class your first semester must have been a hell of a trip.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”