Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Helmholtz

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:16 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Is anybody else unusually relaxed and chill about this whole law school finals thing? 8)

Yes! High fives! I feel quite chill. Bustin my ass off, but without the stress. This feels exciting -- and it will be over in less than two weeks.

who know how I'll do, but right now I feel really chill. I think all the gunnin' has inspired me with a ::false?:: sense of confidence that I'm gunna dominate this shit.

I'm of the mindset that I've done my best throughout the semester, and whatever happens for finals, happens. I've never felt out of my league with my classmates and I remind myself that the last time that my classmates and me sat down and took the same test was the LSAT and that turned out okay. I would be much more worried if I looked back on the semester and felt like I significantly slacked. At least my level of work prior to now has given me some peace of mind.

My wise, old property professor (who rocked law school to the level of people offering to pay money to join his study group) told us in class that law school exams test how well you can take law school exams. If you do well, you have more doors open for you, but that doesn't mean you're smart enough to deal with things once you step through, it just means that you did well on law school exams, which open doors for you - and that's pretty much it. He ended the little talk by telling us that law school grades are predestined anyway, so don't bother worrying about it. I really do love that man.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:26 pm

I think I probably should have done more throughout the semester, albeit not because I consciously slacked off but because I was inefficient and easily distracted. Unlike most of my classmates, I've never really busted my ass in school so this is kind of a learning experience for me.

At this point though, I'll just give it my best shot and whatever happens happens. Surely two sets of final exams aren't going to damn us forever. My goal was to learn to become a lawyer, not do well on law school exams. The two aren't always very well correlated.

mbusch22

Postby mbusch22 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:34 pm

JCougar wrote:
I kind of wish I had an extra weekend lying around somewhere to refine my outlines, but it's all good. I'm not dreading exams. I actually can't wait to get them over with, so I can start drinking again, go back home for the holidays, and figure out where I stand.

+10000

SmittenMitten

Postby SmittenMitten » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:54 pm

mbusch22 wrote:
JCougar wrote:
I kind of wish I had an extra weekend lying around somewhere to refine my outlines, but it's all good. I'm not dreading exams. I actually can't wait to get them over with, so I can start drinking again, go back home for the holidays, and figure out where I stand.

+10000

rejectmaster

Postby rejectmaster » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:39 pm

does anyone think its a stretch to say that an intelligent person with refined writing/expository skills could spend a couple of days on each subject and get an A?

in looking at it all holistically it seems that there isn't really that much that's important in any class

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:49 pm

rejectmaster wrote:does anyone think its a stretch to say that an intelligent person with refined writing/expository skills could spend a couple of days on each subject and get an A?

in looking at it all holistically it seems that there isn't really that much that's important in any class

If these classes weren't graded on a curve, sure. Also, "refined writing . . . skills" don't really guarantee much, unless you're good at writing concisely and still addressing all the relevant issues/nuances in a fact pattern.

eandy

Postby eandy » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:12 am

Stanford4Me wrote:
rejectmaster wrote:does anyone think its a stretch to say that an intelligent person with refined writing/expository skills could spend a couple of days on each subject and get an A?

If these classes weren't graded on a curve, sure. Also, "refined writing . . . skills" don't really guarantee much, unless you're good at writing concisely and still addressing all the relevant issues/nuances in a fact pattern.

+1
I don't feel like writing skills matter that much. Organization? Yes. Writing? No.
The top people at our school only spent 2-3 days on each class studying. The way our exams are structured you sort of have to, though, so YMMV.

apper123

Postby apper123 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:49 am

Yes, assuming they also possess the requisite legal analysis skills. Easily. I'd bet a lot on it.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:52 am

eandy wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:

+1
I don't feel like writing skills matter that much. Organization? Yes. Writing? No.
The top people at our school only spent 2-3 days on each class studying. The way our exams are structured you sort of have to, though, so YMMV.

--ImageRemoved--

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:03 am

A 1L piece of advice:

Snuggies were made for taking law school exams.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:12 am

Kretzy wrote:A 1L piece of advice:

Hard to gun in a snuggie; HTH

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:13 am

rad law wrote:

What if the snuggie is zebra-print?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:13 am

rad law wrote:

Hard not to gun in a snuggie.

IAFG has a blanket and looks like a refugee at NU Law Library.

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:17 am

13 hours until civ pro. who wants to teach me what makes a federal directive on point?

crEEp

Postby crEEp » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:30 am

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:43 am

crEEp wrote:

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:47 am

skoobily doobily wrote:13 hours until civ pro. who wants to teach me what makes a federal directive on point?

It involves a consideration of the federal interests in having the federal rule/statute prevail, si?

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:05 am

Stanford4Me wrote:
skoobily doobily wrote:13 hours until civ pro. who wants to teach me what makes a federal directive on point?

It involves a consideration of the federal interests in having the federal rule/statute prevail, si?

I have one flowchart that says

"if it applies to the facts of the case then it is on point, go to REA, if not, go to RDA"

and another that says

"constitutional provisions, federal rules, and federal statutes: go to REA. Federal judgment made procedure: go to RDA"

not sure how to reconcile the two.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:26 am

skoobily doobily wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:

I have one flowchart that says

"if it applies to the facts of the case then it is on point, go to REA, if not, go to RDA"

and another that says

"constitutional provisions, federal rules, and federal statutes: go to REA. Federal judgment made procedure: go to RDA"

not sure how to reconcile the two.

Here is what I have on this issue. I should let you know that this is my weakest area in CivPro, though. Luckily (for me) I have two weeks to get it cleared up -

The first think you want to do in your Erie Analysis is determine whether or not there is a direct collision (federal rule and state rule completely disagree) or just a conflict between federal and state law (I have no idea what that minor distinction means) -

No direct conflict > Go to RDA Analysis - Is the state law substantive?: Hanna/Erie aims: prevent forum shopping, equitable administration of justice. Byrd balancing and Gasperini accommodations - strength of state policy compared to federal interests

Direct Conflict > REA Analysis - Is the federal rule valid?: Does the rule "really regulate procedure?" Is the state procedural rule so intertwined with a substantive right that a Federal Rule cannot govern the issue? Constitutionality - is the rule "arguably procedural?"

I only barely understand what that all means, though.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:36 pm

Finally a casebook with keyed supplements next semester :)!

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:59 pm

keg411 wrote:Finally a casebook with keyed supplements next semester :)!

Emanuel outline keyed to Yeazell has absolutely saved my life for CivPro. I'm sure as hell not going to do very well, but at least now I don't think I'm going to get a 2.5 in the class.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:18 pm

los blancos wrote:

Emanuel outline keyed to Yeazell has absolutely saved my life for CivPro. I'm sure as hell not going to do very well, but at least now I don't think I'm going to get a 2.5 in the class.

hahahahaha i've got the same book, and the same outline. that book is fucking horrible.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:44 pm

dailygrind wrote:
los blancos wrote:

hahahahaha i've got the same book, and the same outline. that book is fucking horrible.

You talking about Yeazell or the outline? I agree, the Yeazell casebook is pretty bad - especially the second half of it. Then again, I hear all civ pro casebooks are.

The outline is good. I worry that it oversimplifies some stuff. I also think that its sections on pleadings and discovery are overly detailed. But maybe that's because I suck at pleadings and discovery.

emorystud2010

Postby emorystud2010 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:01 pm

here i come!
Last edited by emorystud2010 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:12 pm

emorystud2010 wrote:Torts seemed easy. Then the exam happened. FML. 150K debt with no job...here i come!

TBF even if you get all A+'s this happens to emory students.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”