Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Grizz

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby Grizz » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:33 am

Took my first timed K's practice test, one of three available. In this one, we had a page fact pattern, 5 questions we had to argue and find the issues for, and one hour to do it.

Lessons learned:

1) Memorize the outline. Takes waaaay too much time to go back.
2) Don't skip over details. I missed a fairly easy infancy argument in the beginning.
3) Time limit is a bitch.

Made me slightly more panicky then I was before. I don't have the answer key to this one, so I can't say for sure how well I did. I'm discussing it with my study partner later though, which should be beneficial.

CordeliusX

Postby CordeliusX » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:23 am

Well here's my rant.

I did basically nothing over break. I now have about 2 solid days to study per exam I take. Maybe that's enough to pass and do fairly OK but... still I'm not happy. Won't even have time to use a few supplements I have, if I plan to really outline.

Basically, I'm just sick and bored with this stuff. It doesn't matter much to me, and I feel there's no way I can be a top student at my school (t14) with this low level of enthusiasm. It's like a vicious cycle. Beyond that, just the probability of getting in the top-third of the class seems staggeringly low, even IF I was well-prepared.

I really have no motivation. Why bother to study when you can't really expect it to pay off... I have this fear of stress and dashed hopes, so I guess I try to just minimize it by lowering my expectations of myself. I mean really we can't all be #1 and if you hate what you're learning why kill yourself studying stuff that is so boring. I honestly think I'm depressed to some extent over all this. :|

Postby 09042014 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:27 am

CordeliusX wrote:Well here's my rant.

I did basically nothing over break. I now have about 2 solid days to study per exam I take. Maybe that's enough to pass and do fairly OK but... still I'm not happy. Won't even have time to use a few supplements I have, if I plan to really outline.

Basically, I'm just sick and bored with this stuff. It doesn't matter much to me, and I feel there's no way I can be a top student at my school (t14) with this low level of enthusiasm. It's like a vicious cycle. Beyond that, just the probability of getting in the top-third of the class seems staggeringly low, even IF I was well-prepared.

I really have no motivation. Why bother to study when you can't really expect it to pay off... I have this fear of stress and dashed hopes, so I guess I try to just minimize it by lowering my expectations of myself. I mean really we can't all be #1 and if you hate what you're learning why kill yourself studying stuff that is so boring. I honestly think I'm depressed to some extent over all this. :|

Seem like you'd be about average at my school. Nobody has outlines done.

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:32 am

Desert Fox wrote:

Really? I'm almost done outlining Con Law.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:07 pm

skoobily doobily wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Really? I'm almost done outlining Con Law.

You two go to the same school?

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:39 pm

Last substantive class of the semester: our professor holds us 10 minutes after class to cram in information we need to know for the exam. Bleh.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:42 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

ahh who could have forseen this happening at Splitter University.

onthecusp

Postby onthecusp » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:43 pm

jdubb990 wrote:I want to break up w/ my girlfriend, I don't need her emotional shit during exam prep. These are two of the most important weeks of my life and she wants attention. Psssh.

But you do need the make up sex for stress relief, and it's easy to disguise that as actually giving a shit.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:45 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Yea but the other half is 3.9 Asian mega students.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:59 pm

Panic mode rapidly approaching. Slowly starting to lose it.

What happens again to bottom quartile at T14s?

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:01 pm

los blancos wrote:Panic mode rapidly approaching. Slowly starting to lose it.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:09 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Yea but the other half is 3.9 Asian mega students.

My outlines are done (well if I'm honest, gotta update for a couple days worth of material for this week's classes), but I'm only half-azn, so performance is far from guaranteed.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:10 pm

los blancos wrote:Panic mode rapidly approaching. Slowly starting to lose it.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:23 am

Helmholtz wrote:Is anybody else unusually relaxed and chill about this whole law school finals thing? 8)

Yes! High fives! I feel quite chill. Bustin my ass off, but without the stress. This feels exciting -- and it will be over in less than two weeks.

kcg171

Postby kcg171 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:27 am

I am going to be the person who fails civ pro. i am going to get the test, stare at it, throw up, and then hear, "time's up" having not written anything.
the end.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:55 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Is anybody else unusually relaxed and chill about this whole law school finals thing? 8)

Yes! High fives! I feel quite chill. Bustin my ass off, but without the stress. This feels exciting -- and it will be over in less than two weeks.

who know how I'll do, but right now I feel really chill. I think all the gunnin' has inspired me with a ::false?:: sense of confidence that I'm gunna dominate this shit.

rejectmaster

Postby rejectmaster » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:09 pm

after having done a lot of studying and taken a few practice exams i can say

i don't want to buy a casebook ever again.. thru the semester i always read the cases online on one of the databases, and really only used them for the "notes" and for that limited usefulness i can just go to the library and spend 10 minutes reading their copy.

what a waste of money.

kxz

Postby kxz » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:33 pm

Watching Pysch to ease my stress!

stocksly33

Postby stocksly33 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:49 pm

too little time, too much to remember

stayway

Postby stayway » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:54 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:18 am

Did some CALI lessons for Battery. Went more into it than my teacher did. I am now more confused. FFFFFUUUUUUU

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:20 am

Also did some CALI lessons for Battery. Went more into it than my teacher did. I am now more confused. FFFFFUUUUUUU

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:13 am

rad law wrote:Also did some CALI lessons for Battery. Went more into it than my teacher did. I am now more confused. FFFFFUUUUUUU

CALI's can be like that for Torts; I ran into a few when studying for my midterm. But if you know what your teacher wants you to know, even if you get the CALI answer wrong, you're probably in good shape. Just know where the differences are.

SmittenMitten

Postby SmittenMitten » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:24 pm

Can somebody explain to me how the decision in Klaxon doens't directly conflict with 1391, and what to do if those come up on an exam?

Klaxon says one thing- 1391 says another- Erie+Procedural Rule on point=apply fed rule? yes?

solotee

Postby solotee » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:36 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:

who know how I'll do, but right now I feel really chill. I think all the gunnin' has inspired me with a ::false?:: sense of confidence that I'm gunna dominate this shit.

Definitely feel chill. Especially after some good feedback from midterms, I feel like all is left is to go through the motions. The scary 3-4 hour finals don't seem all that scary any more, but then I'm reminded of the weight they carry. :shock:

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”