Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby 09042014 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:39 pm

rad law wrote:Torts has 1 fact pattern, 750 word limit. For a negligence case, that's like 187 words per element. I tried writing the only PT. It was tough to fit it all in.

Time limit?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:56 pm

rad law wrote:It was tough to fit it all in.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:00 pm

beach_terror wrote:

Definitely something rad has never said before.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:04 pm

rad law wrote:Torts has 1 fact pattern, 750 word limit. For a negligence case, that's like 187 words per element. I tried writing the only PT. It was tough to fit it all in.

Also, Vanderbilttt.

stayway

Postby stayway » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:36 pm

--ImageRemoved--

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:38 pm

lolwut

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:50 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Time limit?

Including multiple choice, 4 long hours. Should have plenty of time.

romothesavior wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

Definitely something rad has never said before.

Small is the new big.

romothesavior wrote:

Also, Vanderbilttt.

Also, this.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:53 pm

Is anybody else unusually relaxed and chill about this whole law school finals thing? 8)

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:58 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Is anybody else unusually relaxed and chill about this whole law school finals thing? 8)

Yeah. A little too relaxed. Outlines are very close to being done, I have taken all my practice exams without needing to look at them, have met with professors and gotten good feedback on all the exams, and feel fairly confident about all the material. This of course means that I will finish below median due to arbitrary grading and overconfidence.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:05 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Is anybody else unusually relaxed and chill about this whole law school finals thing? 8)

Yep. If I screw this up, I'm gonna be so mad.

stayway

Postby stayway » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:18 pm

--ImageRemoved--

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:20 pm

I feel very comfortable about property and torts, but I feel helpless in Ks. I am already in the hole because our prof does these quiz things throughout the semester, and while I didn't do terrible, I definitely will be leapfrogged by a few people on the final exam because of it. Even if I get the highest grade in the class (lolnotgunnahappen), I'll drop down a few slots due to these stupid quizzes.

I would be ecstatic with top 1/3 in Ks, but that won't happen unless I'm top 25% or so on the final.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:26 pm

romothesavior wrote:I feel very comfortable about property and torts, but I feel helpless in Ks. I am already in the hole because our prof does these quiz things throughout the semester, and while I didn't do terrible, I definitely will be leapfrogged by a few people on the final exam because of it. Even if I get the highest grade in the class (lolnotgunnahappen), I'll drop down a few slots due to these stupid quizzes.

I would be ecstatic with top 1/3 in Ks, but that won't happen unless I'm top 25% or so on the final.

If I make top 1/3 here (hard to know because of no ranking), I will literally crap my pants in happiness.

Melkaba

Postby Melkaba » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:52 pm

romothesavior wrote:I feel very comfortable about property and torts, but I feel helpless in Ks. I am already in the hole because our prof does these quiz things throughout the semester, and while I didn't do terrible, I definitely will be leapfrogged by a few people on the final exam because of it. Even if I get the highest grade in the class (lolnotgunnahappen), I'll drop down a few slots due to these stupid quizzes.

You'd be more hard-pressed to find some one who isn't completely lost/helpless in our Ks section so far, especially after today's lecture. Also, there was a bit of a hubbub about the quizzes because there were some people in the upper 4th who didn't take a quiz. However, that quiz was not regarded as a zero and instead, the TA just computed the next lowest score as the "drop" score (from what I've heard, this pretty much elevated a couple people from like a 7.5 average to a 9.3 quiz average). One student sarcastically mentions that it would probably be better to just not even put a name on a quiz you did bad on if that's the result. From what I've heard from one of the students, this was brought up to the prof and he was like "I know it's unfair, but oh well."

It's virtually crunch time and I have no idea how to actually tackle this exam. None at all.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:56 pm

Melkaba wrote:

You'd be more hard-pressed to find some one who isn't completely lost/helpless in our Ks section so far, especially after today's lecture. Also, there was a bit of a hubbub about the quizzes because there were some people in the upper 4th who didn't take a quiz. However, that quiz was not regarded as a zero and instead, the TA just computed the next lowest score as the "drop" score (from what I've heard, this pretty much elevated a couple people from like a 7.5 average to a 9.3 quiz average). One student sarcastically mentions that it would probably be better to just not even put a name on a quiz you did bad on if that's the result. From what I've heard from one of the students, this was brought up to the prof and he was like "I know it's unfair, but oh well."

It's virtually crunch time and I have no idea how to actually tackle this exam. None at all.

I heard some people talking about this today. That is utter and complete garbage. I think it should be taken to the dean of students, if that is the case. It is a blatantly unfair policy that was not spelled out at the beginning of the semester, and if I had known that, I'd have just shown up for one or two quizzes, done well, and never taken another one.

If people don't show up for a quiz, they should get a zero. Period. If you are going to miss a quiz, that's fine... you can drop that one. But to just not show up and beat out all of us who were there for every quiz (and took our bruises... aka a 6 or two) is just horseshit.

Melkaba

Postby Melkaba » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:09 pm

romothesavior wrote:I heard some people talking about this today. That is utter and complete garbage. I think it should be taken to the dean of students, if that is the case. It is a blatantly unfair policy that was not spelled out at the beginning of the semester, and if I had known that, I'd have just shown up for one or two quizzes, done well, and never taken another one.

If people don't show up for a quiz, they should get a zero. Period. If you are going to miss a quiz, that's fine... you can drop that one. But to just not show up and beat out all of us who were there for every quiz (and took our bruises... aka a 6 or two) is just horseshit.

I definitely agree, especially when considering that the quizzes are going to end up as a more helpful buffer than what most people initially thought considering it seems like 90% of the class is going in to the exam utterly blind for the most part. Unless some one does raise it to the dean, I doubt much will come of it (even if it's really screwed up that the prof didn't even mention that the scores would be computed this way when it makes a major difference). Ugh, I'm going to need a miracle from God for this class, I swear.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:14 pm

Melkaba wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I heard some people talking about this today. That is utter and complete garbage. I think it should be taken to the dean of students, if that is the case. It is a blatantly unfair policy that was not spelled out at the beginning of the semester, and if I had known that, I'd have just shown up for one or two quizzes, done well, and never taken another one.

I definitely agree, especially when considering that the quizzes are going to end up as a more helpful buffer than what most people initially thought considering it seems like 90% of the class is going in to the exam utterly blind for the most part. Unless some one does raise it to the dean, I doubt much will come of it (even if it's really screwed up that the prof didn't even mention that the scores would be computed this way when it makes a major difference). Ugh, I'm going to need a miracle from God for this class, I swear.

Yeah dude (or dudette), I am in the same boat. I don't know squat about Ks, and I hate the class so much that I really have to force myself to study it. And even when I do study it, I don't enjoy dissecting it and understanding it fully like I do property and torts, so it just goes right over my head. And worst of all, I didn't do great on the quizzes, so I'm already in the hole. Like I said before, I'd be ecstatic to finish in the top 1/3 in that class, but it likely won't happen (especially with the prof's shenanigans).

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:46 pm

Just found out contracts exam is 1/3 essay, 2/3 ridiculously difficult MC. Professor says it isn't uncommon for most people to not even get to 10-20 of the MC questions (there are 72 total, 2 1/2 hours to complete the section).

Any tips on MC for contracts? Supplements? Any Glannon Guide for Ks users out there? If so, how is it?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:49 pm

traehekat wrote:Just found out contracts exam is 1/3 essay, 2/3 ridiculously difficult MC. Professor says it isn't uncommon for most people to not even get to 10-20 of the MC questions (there are 72 total, 2 1/2 hours to complete the section).

Any tips on MC for contracts? Supplements? Any Glannon Guide for Ks users out there? If so, how is it?

How many choices? If its out of 4, you might be better off blind guessing :shock:

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:03 pm

traehekat wrote:Just found out contracts exam is 1/3 essay, 2/3 ridiculously difficult MC. Professor says it isn't uncommon for most people to not even get to 10-20 of the MC questions (there are 72 total, 2 1/2 hours to complete the section).

Crunchtime has MC for K's.
http://www.amazon.com/Contracts-CrunchT ... 1565425006

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:32 pm

keg411 wrote:

Crunchtime has MC for K's.
http://www.amazon.com/Contracts-CrunchT ... 1565425006

thanks, i actually may be able to pick this up used at my school for like $15.

kcg171

Postby kcg171 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:44 pm

I think the short answer questions in crunchtime are good practice for multiple choice, too. I showed my crunchtime book to my Ks professor on accident, and he thought it was awesome.

Melkaba

Postby Melkaba » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:43 pm

romothesavior wrote:Yeah dude (or dudette), I am in the same boat. I don't know squat about Ks, and I hate the class so much that I really have to force myself to study it. And even when I do study it, I don't enjoy dissecting it and understanding it fully like I do property and torts, so it just goes right over my head. And worst of all, I didn't do great on the quizzes, so I'm already in the hole. Like I said before, I'd be ecstatic to finish in the top 1/3 in that class, but it likely won't happen (especially with the prof's shenanigans).

I see what you mean. I'm kinda insane, so I even like deconstructing Ks cases. But whenever I try to get something clarified, I swear I always leave the prof with more questions than I initially came in with or I get something to the effect of "That could work" in an extremely vague kind of way. I've been putting the links together in Property (mostly just remembering age old stuff that I forgot) and Torts, but each day the Ks exam is looking more and more like an "Info Dump things he wants to hear and every possible doctrine you can think of and Pray for Success" kind of affair. Eh, thinking about it is putting me in a bad mood. Back to Property outlining.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:30 am

traehekat wrote:Welp, my plan to be completely up to date with my outlines by the end of Thanksgiving break didn't exactly pan out, but I am PRETTY close to them being up to date. I put off contracts for so long because I knew it would be a bitch, and I was right. I've been outlining it for like, 15-16 total hours and I'm only a little over half way through the material. In a couple more days I should be pretty much current with everything if I'm not a little bitch re: working hard. First exam (property) is next Wednesday so hopefully I can spend a good week preparing for it by memorizing the outline/taking practice exams/working through hypotheticals.

How is everyone else doing with their personal goals/plans?

Additionally: Fuck word limits on exams. Especially ridiculously restrictive ones.

My plan was to be completely done with outlines and have taken three practice exams (one from each class) by the end of Thanksgiving break. I only got the outlining part done (with the exception of this week's class material). I tried taking one practice exam, and then I realized my outlines are way to unwieldy to properly function as an exam aid. So now I'm working on my mini-outlines and checklists. If I get done with all this by Thursday (last day of classes), I'll have Friday-Sunday to take a practice exam in my 3 BLL classes, and then 3 days each to prepare for the individual exams.

I kind of wish I had an extra weekend lying around somewhere to refine my outlines, but it's all good. I'm not dreading exams. I actually can't wait to get them over with, so I can start drinking again, go back home for the holidays, and figure out where I stand.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:38 am

I'm probably more chill than panicky. I'm actually kind of excited. But, most of all, I just want to get this semester over with, and have something "in the book." I want to be able to relax.

Panicking or worrying won't help me study anyways. I'm just kind of putting my head down and barreling through.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”