Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
skoobily doobily

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Postby skoobily doobily » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:02 am

Why didn't someone tell me practice exams are a lot more fun than outlining? Heck, this might even rival Mahjong.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:03 am

skoobily doobily wrote:Why didn't someone tell me practice exams are a lot more fun than outlining? Heck, this might even rival Mahjong.

They are surprisingly fun.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:06 am

skoobily doobily wrote:Why didn't someone tell me practice exams are a lot more fun than outlining? Heck, this might even rival Mahjong.

You need to get out more bro

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:22 am

rad law wrote:

I'm currently on my second pack of Marlb 54 100's, PT'ing in my backyard. Wait . . . Just heard gunshots. Going inside now.

edit: Seigels just overtook Ender's Game as my new favorite book.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:25 am

Sample exams make me want to kill myself... because I can't even answer the question. I feel like i have everything wrong, I'm not talking about enough. I'm just sort of learning to issue spot. I did some sample exam I found online about a Gibson guitar. All I got from it was that there was an option contract issue that seems to be useless, an invitation to offer not an offer (and then I said how the purchase was the offer, but I'm thinking this might be wrong) and then battle of the forms but only 2-207 is useful because it's goods. Then since I don't know the gap filler terms I didn't know who won. Convinced I can't do sample exams for my life, and also can't seem to stick to the IRAC format. If anyone wants to try the problem:

George is the owner of a Gibson Guitar Manufacturing Company. Recently, he has come up with the new custom guitar for the year 2001. He sent the following communication to Nathan, owner of a guitar retailer.

Here is the new customer Gibson Model for 2001. The wholesale price is 2,000 each, minimum purchase order of 10. If you order 10 or more, I will include 10 hard-shell guitar cases at $5 each. We will ship the order within two weeks of acceptance. To palce an order, return a purchase order form, and I will hold the offer open until next month, provided you deposit $100.

Purchase Order

Recipient agrees to the terms of the proposal with signature.

Signed____________

Later, Nathan receives George's proposal and fills out his own purchase order form. It states:

Purchase Order

I received your letter an I am very interested in purchasing from you within the next two weeks. I agree to buy five (5) Gibson guitars at $2,000 and 10 hard-shell cases at $5 each. In addition, I require that each guitar have a 90-day warranty. Upon receipt of this order, recipient (George) agrees to ship within two weeks.

Signed________________

After receiving the form, George sends 10 guitars with five hard-shell cases within two weeks. The shipment included a bill for $20,500 but no indication of warranties. Nathan received the shipment and sold all ten guitars with hard-shell cases within one week. Over a one-month period, all ten guitars were returned to Nathan because of defects. Nathan wishes to have the warranties enforced, but George argues that no warranties were ever part of their agreement.

Discuss all relevant contract issues, including common law and the UCC.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:06 am

skoobily doobily wrote:
rad law wrote:

I'm currently on my second pack of Marlb 54 100's, PT'ing in my backyard. Wait . . . Just heard gunshots. Going inside now.

Reds bro. Smoke reds.

I shouldn't be talking. The girl I'm seeing doesn't like it when I smoke. I go through almost a tin of snus a day and I dip like a fiend, too.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:18 am

snowpeach06 wrote:Sample exams make me want to kill myself... because I can't even answer the question. I feel like i have everything wrong, I'm not talking about enough. I'm just sort of learning to issue spot. I did some sample exam I found online about a Gibson guitar. All I got from it was that there was an option contract issue that seems to be useless, an invitation to offer not an offer (and then I said how the purchase was the offer, but I'm thinking this might be wrong) and then battle of the forms but only 2-207 is useful because it's goods. Then since I don't know the gap filler terms I didn't know who won. Convinced I can't do sample exams for my life, and also can't seem to stick to the IRAC format. If anyone wants to try the problem:

George is the owner of a Gibson Guitar Manufacturing Company. Recently, he has come up with the new custom guitar for the year 2001. He sent the following communication to Nathan, owner of a guitar retailer.

Here is the new customer Gibson Model for 2001. The wholesale price is 2,000 each, minimum purchase order of 10. If you order 10 or more, I will include 10 hard-shell guitar cases at $5 each. We will ship the order within two weeks of acceptance. To palce an order, return a purchase order form, and I will hold the offer open until next month, provided you deposit $100.

Purchase Order

Recipient agrees to the terms of the proposal with signature.

Signed____________

Later, Nathan receives George's proposal and fills out his own purchase order form. It states:

Purchase Order

I received your letter an I am very interested in purchasing from you within the next two weeks. I agree to buy five (5) Gibson guitars at $2,000 and 10 hard-shell cases at $5 each. In addition, I require that each guitar have a 90-day warranty. Upon receipt of this order, recipient (George) agrees to ship within two weeks.

Signed________________

After receiving the form, George sends 10 guitars with five hard-shell cases within two weeks. The shipment included a bill for $20,500 but no indication of warranties. Nathan received the shipment and sold all ten guitars with hard-shell cases within one week. Over a one-month period, all ten guitars were returned to Nathan because of defects. Nathan wishes to have the warranties enforced, but George argues that no warranties were ever part of their agreement.

Discuss all relevant contract issues, including common law and the UCC.

i would've said first is an offer (the only point of indefiniteness is there's no ceiling on how many guitars can be bought, in theory you can buy more than he has) because pretty much all the core terms are right there, and he calls it an offer. there's room either way though. the second i would have called a counteroffer, which you can use 2-207 on. if you look at the quantity of cases, seller would find it hard to say that he was operating under the terms of his original contract because he didn't send 10 cases out either, he only sent out 5. if you look at the price terms, the shipment actually goes out much more expensive than it should if seller was maintaining his original terms: the 10 2000 guitars are 20k, and the 5 cases are supposed to be 10 bucks a pop, which totals 20050. even if we figure there's a price discount for buying 10 cases at once, the price should be no more than 20100. from this, we can infer that the seller was upping the price because of something else - the warranties seller demanded. there might be a little more to milk out of there, but i'm kinda in crim mode right now.
Last edited by dailygrind on Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:20 am

rad law wrote:
skoobily doobily wrote:
rad law wrote:

Reds bro. Smoke reds.

I shouldn't be talking. The girl I'm seeing doesn't like it when I smoke. I go through almost a tin of snus a day and I dip like a fiend, too.

I've gone back to doubling up, 3 tins a week + 5 packs a week. I will be constantly touching tobacco until finals are over. I'm actually wondering if dip cups are allowed in the exam room. That would make for an awesome curve-lowering distraction, grossing out everyone in the room.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:03 am

skoobily doobily wrote:I've gone back to doubling up, 3 tins a week + 5 packs a week. I will be constantly touching tobacco until finals are over. I'm actually wondering if dip cups are allowed in the exam room. That would make for an awesome curve-lowering distraction, grossing out everyone in the room.

You're worse than me bro haha. A bunch of LS friends were surprised I dipped actually, but a bunch of them know now. I've gotten ballsy and I'll dip in the library and common areas, but not in class. I'll probably snus my way through exams, but save the dip to REALLY relax after.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:15 am

Skoobily, I wanted to use your Rule 4 meme as a reference for my Rule 19 meme, but you deleted/suspended your facebook. My day just got worse and studying just got that much harder.

Good luck to all starting exams this week. I feel sorry for you, but at the same time I kind of wish I were you (I want to get this all over with).

skoobily doobily

Postby skoobily doobily » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:43 am

Stanford4Me wrote:Skoobily, I wanted to use your Rule 4 meme as a reference for my Rule 19 meme, but you deleted/suspended your facebook. My day just got worse and studying just got that much harder.

Good luck to all starting exams this week. I feel sorry for you, but at the same time I kind of wish I were you (I want to get this all over with).

It's in the exam prep motivation thread.

Also, i'm going through something weird right now . . . it's not burn out, but i've been studying for about 18 of the last 24 hours. The last 20 minutes I haven't been able to remember anything about contracts. I blanked on ProCD, damages, and anticipatory repudiation.

I would take a break and go to bed, but I have class at 8:30.

I guess a cigarette will have to do :(

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:17 am

Question to thread- first exam (Contracts) is at 1:30pm on Wednesday. By my study schedule (4-3-2-1), today is supposed to be Comparative Law (exam on Dec. 10th) day, and tomorrow Contracts.

Do I pull the all-nighter/late-nighter (3-5am) tonight and do 1/2 Comparative Law/1/2 Contracts, sleep until 11 tomorrow, and do Contracts all day Tuesday?
OR
Do Comparative Law all day today with some Contracts in the evening, go to sleep around 12-1am, and pull the Contracts all-nighter/late-nighter Tuesday?

rejectmaster

Postby rejectmaster » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:45 am

rad law wrote:
skoobily doobily wrote:I've gone back to doubling up, 3 tins a week + 5 packs a week. I will be constantly touching tobacco until finals are over. I'm actually wondering if dip cups are allowed in the exam room. That would make for an awesome curve-lowering distraction, grossing out everyone in the room.

You're worse than me bro haha. A bunch of LS friends were surprised I dipped actually, but a bunch of them know now. I've gotten ballsy and I'll dip in the library and common areas, but not in class. I'll probably snus my way through exams, but save the dip to REALLY relax after.

When I took the LSATs for real last year the proctored administration was the first time I'd done anything for the LSAT without stuffing a huge chopper in my mouth

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:49 am

rejectmaster wrote:
the first time I'd done anything . . . without stuffing a huge chopper in my mouth

QFP

rejectmaster

Postby rejectmaster » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:51 am

beach_terror wrote:
rejectmaster wrote:
the first time I'd done anything . . . without stuffing a huge chopper in my mouth

QFP

that's probably accurate too

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:55 am

rejectmaster wrote:
rad law wrote:

When I took the LSATs for real last year the proctored administration was the first time I'd done anything for the LSAT without stuffing a huge chopper in my mouth

Depending on the brand/flavor, the smell of dip tends to nauseate me. If someone was dipping in the exam room, I just might have to kill them.

rejectmaster

Postby rejectmaster » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:58 am

well i think its inconsiderate to pack face during an exam, especially because some people don't know how to be discreet with it and just fratspit everywhere

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:34 am

Dip is gross. I'd rather they just allow people to light up during the exam.

Because then I could get my fix w/out having to resort to smoking myself....

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:39 am

It can't possible be a good thing when your prof says, "Yadda yadda yadda... something something... But I'm sure you've all learned that this semester in this class."

And your response is, "No... Actually, I haven't even heard of that."

:lol:

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:53 pm

Welp, my plan to be completely up to date with my outlines by the end of Thanksgiving break didn't exactly pan out, but I am PRETTY close to them being up to date. I put off contracts for so long because I knew it would be a bitch, and I was right. I've been outlining it for like, 15-16 total hours and I'm only a little over half way through the material. In a couple more days I should be pretty much current with everything if I'm not a little bitch re: working hard. First exam (property) is next Wednesday so hopefully I can spend a good week preparing for it by memorizing the outline/taking practice exams/working through hypotheticals.

How is everyone else doing with their personal goals/plans?

Additionally: Fuck word limits on exams. Especially ridiculously restrictive ones.
Last edited by traehekat on Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:56 pm

traehekat wrote:Welp, my plan to be completely up to date with my outlines by the end of Thanksgiving break didn't exactly pan out, but I am PRETTY close to them being up to date. I put off contracts for so long because I knew it would be a bitch, and I was right. I've been outlining it for like, 15-16 total hours and I'm only a little over half way through the material. In a couple more days I should be pretty much current with everything if I'm not a little bitch re: working hard. First exam (property) is next Wednesday so hopefully I can spend a good week preparing for it by memorizing the outline/taking practice exams/working through hypotheticals.

i'm under the impression that it's normal to still be working on your outlines at this point. i certainly hope so, because i'm still working on mine. first exam is in 1 week.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:01 pm

dailygrind wrote:
traehekat wrote:Welp, my plan to be completely up to date with my outlines by the end of Thanksgiving break didn't exactly pan out, but I am PRETTY close to them being up to date. I put off contracts for so long because I knew it would be a bitch, and I was right. I've been outlining it for like, 15-16 total hours and I'm only a little over half way through the material. In a couple more days I should be pretty much current with everything if I'm not a little bitch re: working hard. First exam (property) is next Wednesday so hopefully I can spend a good week preparing for it by memorizing the outline/taking practice exams/working through hypotheticals.

i'm under the impression that it's normal to still be working on your outlines at this point. i certainly hope so, because i'm still working on mine. first exam is in 1 week.

Yeah, I think it is totally normal. I don't know anyone here at WUSTL who is totally done. I'm about 90% done with property, 2/3s on torts, and 1/3 on Ks. For me, outlining has been more than just copying and pasting concepts into the outline, but it has been a very valuable review session for me.

I hope to be completely done with outlines by this Friday or Saturday. Then because of the way our exams are staggered, I'll have 5 days to study exclusively for property, 4 days to study exclusively for Ks, and 3 days to study exclusively for torts. I feel good with where I'm at, I just need to keep my nose to the grindstone.

hawkeye22

Postby hawkeye22 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:15 pm

Additionally: Fuck word limits on exams. Especially ridiculously restrictive ones.

Yeah that torts word limit was brutal.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:17 pm

hawkeye22 wrote:

Yeah that torts word limit was brutal.

You guys wanna complain?

Our property exam is 5 questions, with 300 word limits on each. That's 1,500 words in 3 hours. And originally, it was 150 words for each question but we complained until he changed it.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:36 pm

Torts has 1 fact pattern, 750 word limit. For a negligence case, that's like 187 words per element. I tried writing the only PT. It was tough to fit it all in.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”