Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
goosey

Gold

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Post by goosey » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:33 pm

beach_terror wrote:Property > Contracts > Con Law for me so far. Property is fun and pretty straightforward.
+1..same here. I really love property, its fun. K's is cool too. Con Law is painful.

My overall 1L looks like this though

CivPro > Property > K's/Torts > Crim > Con Law

I loved civ pro because it is so grounded in rules and tests. I like that. It also probably had a lot to do with my professor who is the amazingest professor in the whole world. And Property being second is probably somewhat related to that as well, since my property and civ pro professors are good friends and prop professor is a lot like my civ pro professor.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:37 pm

clintonius wrote:
romothesavior wrote:For me, its...

Con law >>>>>>>>>>>>>> civ pro = crim

And con law isn't even that great, it is just better than the other two. I guess I just like history and government a lot. Crim will likely get better, but we have done so much philosophical stuff and not really gotten into the cases and the MPC very much at all. It is like the "first day overview" has dragged on for two weeks.
Man, my con law class is awful. It has to get better -- this guy got insanely good reviews the last time he taught the class. But it's just straight goddamn lecture for two hours, covering some portion of approximately 100 pages of reading per period.
I'm not sure which is worse... covering tons of pages, or covering stuff so slowly and meticulously that you spend two or three days on a case. Our prof loves pulling out tons of little nuggets, which is interesting for me, but at some point it is just like, "Okay! Enough of Martin and Marbury!"

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:17 pm

Yeah ConLaw is not meshing well with me, whereas my classmates seem to love it. Idk why I'm not more into it, but I'm just not terribly interested in pseudo-philosophical history lessons. I'm sure it gets much more interesting once it gets to the more meaty and pertinent issues, but this beginning chunk of the class just isn't my cup of tea. I'm much more interested in the nitty-gritty issues discussed in law school that are more grounded in things I see every day and will actually have a chance to speak about once in real practice.

soullesswonder

Silver

Post by soullesswonder » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:20 pm

I just want to decry the annoyance of elective classes that don't initially meet until Wednesday and then turn out to be almost 20% Law Review types. Hopefully there'll still be some waitlist movement so I can make a clean escape.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:39 pm

Don't know where to pose this question, and I don't feel it is worthy of its own thread, so I'll just ask here.

Do you guys think it is worth it to pick up a new suit for interviews? The only suit I have is black. It is from JC Penney. I'm not going to spend a lot of money, but I figure anything is better than what I have, plus I'll eventually have to get another one anyway, right?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:17 pm

traehekat wrote:Don't know where to pose this question, and I don't feel it is worthy of its own thread, so I'll just ask here.

Do you guys think it is worth it to pick up a new suit for interviews? The only suit I have is black. It is from JC Penney. I'm not going to spend a lot of money, but I figure anything is better than what I have, plus I'll eventually have to get another one anyway, right?
Get a new suit. Absolutely.

Granted, I channel the Ron Burgundy and always believe suit shopping is TCR. But get a new suit. For srs.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:26 pm

Get a new suit for sure. My CSO recommends charcoal or gray and says black, especially with pinstripes is too rough/intimidating for an interview. If money is a concern you can find awesome deals when Macy's has their sale or at Men's Warehouse*. I bought a Kenneth Cole suit from Macy's for $170 (originally $520) before and mens Warehouse generally has their $99 suit selection. On top of that, Men's Warehouse is very good about meeting your needs, if you have a certain price range just tell them and they will accomodate.

* Disregard everything about Men's Warehouse if you are not, you know, a man.

MBZags

Silver

Post by MBZags » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:31 pm

I already hate Legal Advocacy.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:59 pm

Keep an eye out for Jos. A. Bank sales. I got a 1300$ suit for 350$ during their 70% off sale. They're having a bunch of sales in the future, and their high quality suits are insanely nice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

savagecheater

Bronze

Post by savagecheater » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:08 pm

soullesswonder wrote:I just want to decry the annoyance of elective classes that don't initially meet until Wednesday and then turn out to be almost 20% Law Review types. Hopefully there'll still be some waitlist movement so I can make a clean escape.
PROTIP always check the 3-year class median for the class BEFORE taking it.

HTH

soullesswonder

Silver

Post by soullesswonder » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:15 pm

savagecheater wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:I just want to decry the annoyance of elective classes that don't initially meet until Wednesday and then turn out to be almost 20% Law Review types. Hopefully there'll still be some waitlist movement so I can make a clean escape.

HTH
Class has only been offered once in the last 7 years (last year) and no data was available...I'm a little more sophisticated than that.

Morgan12Oak

Bronze

Post by Morgan12Oak » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:21 pm

soullesswonder wrote:
savagecheater wrote:

HTH
Class has only been offered once in the last 7 years (last year) and no data was available...I'm a little more sophisticated than that.
Classes publish distributions, but I didn't know they published the medians for the people taking the class...?

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:26 pm

Well, I discovered a new fear this semester.

I need to CALI this semester to make the Review.

Everyone pray for me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

J-tow10

Bronze

Post by J-tow10 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:28 am

romothesavior wrote:For me, its...

Con law >>>>>>>>>>>>>> civ pro = crim

And con law isn't even that great, it is just better than the other two. I guess I just like history and government a lot. Crim will likely get better, but we have done so much philosophical stuff and not really gotten into the cases and the MPC very much at all. It is like the "first day overview" has dragged on for two weeks.

Idk what section you're in but for me I'd say...

Con Law = Civ Pro >>>> Crim Law

I'm telling myself I'll love Civ Pro because I loved Ks

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:52 am

Borhas wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Seems like this thread has died and all the 1Ls have moved to the grades thread, but with second semester starting up, I'd say it is time to migrate back into here.

Random thought... Is anyone else just finding themselves constantly annoyed by law school and people in your classes? I mean, I guess that is what happens when you spend every day with the same people over and over and over, but man... I just find myself becoming Mr. Negativity towards everyone and everything this semester.
I somewhat feel the same, not annoyed but I have noticed a change from last semester to this one

It seems like people are a bit more distant. I think part of it is due to naturally joining clicks and not wanting to put out the effort to mingle w/ others, but I also do think that there's just more stress around than first semester. I don't know... I kind of lucked out, my moot court and elective seem to be easier than other people's so maybe they're just doing may more work than I am. The thing about being around the same people so much is that when there is a stressful period everyone is affected at the same time so everyone is less likely to give leeway... kind of like a multiplier effect. Last semester that sort of feeling came in predictable waves (the week memo drafts were due for example), but now its more like a steady stream than a wave.

/reflection

dunno
I totally agree with everything you said. I noticed the mood change, and everyone I've talked to has as well.

I was pretty shocked how poorly-attended the first beer on the beach was.

solotee

Bronze

Post by solotee » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:51 pm

Damn this semester is 3 times as stressful as last semester so far :/

Reinhardt

Bronze

Post by Reinhardt » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:31 pm

Last edited by Reinhardt on Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:44 pm

Law school should be taught in the LRW style. It'd be much more useful to have to repeatedly do memos and the like on various problems throughout the semester, instead of just clusterfucking it all into one 4 hour exam. The entire memo process was infinitely more enjoyable, and presumably more valuable, than exams were.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:47 pm

beach_terror wrote:Law school should be taught in the LRW style. It'd be much more useful to have to repeatedly do memos and the like on various problems throughout the semester, instead of just clusterfucking it all into one 4 hour exam. The entire memo process was infinitely more enjoyable, and presumably more valuable, than exams were.
You are certifiable.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:54 pm

I wouldn't call the memo enjoyable but I guarantee I got more out of it long term than I ever did out of a topic where as soon as I hit "submit" on the exam I forgot everything about.

lolschool2011

Bronze

Post by lolschool2011 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:54 pm

skoobily doobily wrote:I’m starting a thread for us c/o 2013 students to help each other, not to just get through law school, but to get through as high in the class as we can.

This thread is not for those of you who have already outlined 4 of your E&E’s, and want to break a record for in-class hypotheticals and handraise speed. This is a thread for those of us absolutely determined to finish as high in our class as we can, and want every resource available to aid us along the way, one important one being each other.

This thread can be a place where you ask questions about topics you don’t quite understand, or maybe take the time to answer it for someone else and in the process, learn it that much better yourself.

Most of us will be taking the same substantive classes this fall (torts, civ pro, contracts), so why not be a part of an online study group where attendance is at your leisure? I understand different professors emphasize and disagree on different points, but we can still talk over RAP whether we’re in Texas or Maine.

This isn’t a master thread where newcomers and regulars square off, pop in when you have a question or a comment, leave when you’re done if you want to. This is not a lounge thread though, so on topic comments would be appreciated.

The school year is just about starting, so I figured now would be a good time to start something to assuage or reinforce the fears of our fellow 1L’s.
There's too many rules ITT. I'm out.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:57 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:I wouldn't call the memo enjoyable but I guarantee I got more out of it long term than I ever did out of a topic where as soon as I hit "submit" on the exam I forgot everything about.
I guess by enjoyable, I mean it didn't immediately make me want to hurl myself off a large building... just a small one.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:48 pm

Thanks for the suit suggestions everyone. Picked up a new one today, very happy with my choice.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:17 pm

solotee wrote:Damn this semester is 3 times as stressful boring as last semester so far :/
FTFM

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:19 pm

I can't concentrate at all this semester. All I think about is how much I hate Con Law and how many more job apps I can send out and to whom. I told myself that I started off too hard last semester and almost burned out early so I was gonna take it slower for the first month or so but this is TOO slow. I barely do the assigned reading, haven't opened a single supplement, haven't started outlining anything, and seem to just forget stuff as soon as we're done covering it (literally cant tell you what the case from last friday of Con Law was about).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”