Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Re: The Gunner Thread

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:46 pm

skoobily doobily wrote:Question for those of you who know:

typically how many cases are you responsible for reading/briefing for each class, per class?
Usually between one and five.

skoobily doobily

Bronze

Post by skoobily doobily » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:01 pm

Other25BeforeYou wrote:

typically how many cases are you responsible for reading/briefing for each class, per class?
And how long would you say, typically, it takes to read through a case and write a short summary?

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:35 pm

I was fired-up about OneNote until I realized that there is no way to make traditional page breaks. OneNote should be fine for taking notes in class and from the cases, but it won't serve me well for the outlines. For the long outlines, you won't be able to tell on the screen where the pages will end, and that won't work if you plan on printing your outlines.

2009 Prospective

Bronze

Post by 2009 Prospective » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:37 pm

When I started classes, I would average about 10 pages/hour for reading, on anywhere between a 25-50 page assignment.
I experienced more or less the same. Once I became more comfortable reading cases though, it got easier. Most of my profs would assign about 15-30 pages per class. On average though, I'd say we were normally assigned around 20 pages and 3 cases. Sometimes there are other shorter case excerpts in the notes afterwards which clarify a point in the primary case assigned.

2009 Prospective

Bronze

Post by 2009 Prospective » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:42 pm

chrisokc wrote:I was fired-up about OneNote until I realized that there is no way to make traditional page breaks. OneNote should be fine for taking notes in class and from the cases, but it won't serve me well for the outlines. For the long outlines, you won't be able to tell on the screen where the pages will end, and that won't work if you plan on printing your outlines.
I used OneNote for all my class notes and outlines. I actually really preferred using it for outlines personally because it's much easier for indenting etc. as well as copying and pasting class notes. I was a bit unorthodox though. I made a separate page within my "outline" section on OneNote for each large umbrella subject matter so that I usually had around 5-6 distinct OneNote "pages" for any one outline. From there, I just printed all the pages out into one large document. True, I couldn't tell which content was going to print onto each page, but this was completely immaterial to my studies. Most people though put there outlines into Word, I don't think I know anyone else that did it this way. Hopefully that explanation made at least some sense to anyone familiar with OneNote haha.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Billy Batts

Silver

Post by Billy Batts » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:48 pm

2009 Prospective wrote:
chrisokc wrote:I was fired-up about OneNote until I realized that there is no way to make traditional page breaks. OneNote should be fine for taking notes in class and from the cases, but it won't serve me well for the outlines. For the long outlines, you won't be able to tell on the screen where the pages will end, and that won't work if you plan on printing your outlines.
I used OneNote for all my class notes and outlines. I actually really preferred using it for outlines personally because it's much easier for indenting etc. as well as copying and pasting class notes. I was a bit unorthodox though. I made a separate page within my "outline" section on OneNote for each large umbrella subject matter so that I usually had around 5-6 distinct OneNote "pages" for any one outline. From there, I just printed all the pages out into one large document. True, I couldn't tell which content was going to print onto each page, but this was completely immaterial to my studies. Most people though put there outlines into Word, I don't think I know anyone else that did it this way. Hopefully that explanation made at least some sense to anyone familiar with OneNote haha.
I see what you're saying. The thought of printing without knowing what is going on which page drives me up the wall. I might play around with it though.

2009 Prospective

Bronze

Post by 2009 Prospective » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:02 pm

chrisokc wrote:
2009 Prospective wrote:
I see what you're saying. The thought of printing without knowing what is going on which page drives me up the wall. I might play around with it though.
You'll most definitely find which system works best for you. I don't think many others would've preferred mine but I really liked keeping everything in one place on OneNote.

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:46 pm

betasteve wrote:
skoobily doobily wrote:
Other25BeforeYou wrote:

And how long would you say, typically, it takes to read through a case and write a short summary?
When I started classes, I would average about 10 pages/hour for reading, on anywhere between a 25-50 page assignment.
When I started it pretty much depended entirely on the case, since some professors started with super-easy cases and others with super-hard ones.

Seems like something that's always going to depend on the case and the person reading it.

sayan

Bronze

Post by sayan » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:38 pm

Are the Ch. 5 and 6 cases in Delaney's Legal Reasoning representative of the complexity and length of the cases that 1Ls will be reading? They seem to be decently easy reads.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

inchoate_con

Bronze

Post by inchoate_con » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:24 pm

Major drawback, if you're printing a 150 page outline. The OneNote developers claim it's not designed for printing and or formatting, and they recommend transferring it to word. If you Google "OneNote PowerToys," you'll find the solution, but it depends on the version you're using.

I've never used any other outlining software other than OneNote, but I like the ability to collapse levels and Drag & Drop sections, lines, topics, etc.

Matteliszt

Silver

Post by Matteliszt » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:19 pm

skoobily doobily

Bronze

Post by skoobily doobily » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:25 pm

Matteliszt wrote:Here are those links to info about planning your 1L summer

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=119896

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 2&t=107596
excellent. I've heard about the guerilla tactics guide, would anyone who's read it think it would be useful for seek 1L summer employment?

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:30 pm

skoobily doobily wrote:

excellent. I've heard about the guerilla tactics guide, would anyone who's read it think it would be useful for seek 1L summer employment?
YES

Extremely helpful. I WISH I had read it before my 1L job search. Seriously it's got everything and anything you need.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Matteliszt

Silver

Post by Matteliszt » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:31 pm

mistergoft wrote:
skoobily doobily wrote:

YES

Extremely helpful. I WISH I had read it before my 1L job search. Seriously it's got everything and anything you need.

I have the book but haven't looked at it yet - any particular sections you'd recommend goft?

skoobily doobily

Bronze

Post by skoobily doobily » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:31 pm

mistergoft wrote:
skoobily doobily wrote:

YES

Buying it NAO. Useful 0L summer prep ftw.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:35 pm

Matteliszt wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
skoobily doobily wrote:

YES

I have the book but haven't looked at it yet - any particular sections you'd recommend goft?
Resume section is awesome, cover letter section is great, I'm reading the interview section right now which is good, I think the best section for 1Ls besides that would be the section about resources for finding jobs... It's part of the "finding out what the heck the job of you dreams is" which is pretty insightful too, considering most 1Ls don't really know too much about what lawyers in different positions do.

There is also a section called "I'm a 1L, where do I start" which I have not read but I am sure would be helpful.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:36 pm

Have you guys tried printing directly into OneNote?

I just did and it's so cool.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:01 pm

skoobily doobily wrote:

I've read through a decent chunk of it, there is a lot of (what looks like) awesome information in there. Definitely seems worth the sort of hefty price tag.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:18 pm

I was fired up about it until I realized that I'm still going to use single-subject notebooks and a Pilot Dr. Grip Gel pen for notes.

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:51 pm

kalvano wrote:

I was fired up about it until I realized that I'm still going to use single-subject notebooks and a Pilot Dr. Grip Gel pen for notes.
lol, me too.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:28 pm

kalvano wrote:

MURPH wrote: lol, me too.
May I introduce this: Livescribe

You can upload your handwritten notes to your laptop or pc. I haven't checked whether they will merge with OneNote, but I don't see why it would be a problem.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:33 pm

You misunderstand. I'm not interested in notes on a computer. I prefer a pen and paper.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:44 pm

kalvano wrote:You misunderstand. I'm not interested in notes on a computer. I prefer a pen and paper.
I understood, but I showed you the option of being able to upload your handwritten notes to your laptop or pc.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:55 pm

Or I can just type them up and, by doing so, further ingrain them into my thick head.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:58 pm

kalvano wrote:Or I can just type them up and, by doing so, further ingrain them into my thick head.
True.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”