Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Shaggier1

Silver

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Post by Shaggier1 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:27 am

Helmholtz wrote:
TTH wrote:
Good to know Chemerinsky will be there when I need it. It's pretty damned cruel to make you guys start off with conlaw, though.
True, but after looking on here at all the people who are not blessed with only 3 substantive courses and ungraded LRW, things could be much, much worse. It's really not that bad. I enjoy the policy perspective the class provides after having torts and property rules ground into my head the rest of the day.
Heh, where are you at that you're getting con, torts and property? At NYU I have, as far as traditional 1L doctrinal courses go, the complete opposite of your schedule (contracts, civ pro, and crim). Curious to know which other schools deviate from the norm a bit.
I agree with Helm 100% on the value of having only 3 substantive courses and an ungraded LRW. I have Torts, Civ Pro, Property, and LRW.

Next semester I will be taking Con Law, Crim, Contracts, and WOA (LRW 2 with an oral component... not sure if it is universally referred to as WOA). Sadly, we were just informed that for the first time in Boalt's history, WOA will be graded. :cry:

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:30 am

Shaggier1 wrote:Sadly, we were just informed that for the first time in Boalt's history, WOA will be graded. :cry:
Boalt-graded, or letter-graded? Either way that stinks, but if it's the latter, that's just the cruelest thing possible -- screwing over the people who are above median but below honors, and then fully grading LRW? Ugh. Again, either way it's rough, and I'm sorry to hear it.

danidancer

Silver

Post by danidancer » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:36 am

I hate you all. This semester: Contracts, Torts, Civ Pro, Con Law, graded LRW. Next semester: Contracts, Property, Civ Pro, Crim Pro, graded LRW. FML.

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:47 am

Boalt-graded, or letter-graded? Either way that stinks, but if it's the latter, that's just the cruelest thing possible -- screwing over the people who are above median but below honors, and then fully grading LRW? Ugh. Again, either way it's rough, and I'm sorry to hear it.
Yea, we certainly weren't happy about it. But, as Danidancer just proved, it could certainly be worse.

To answer your question, it is Boalt graded. But, in all honesty, it doesn't really make a difference (unless you are a D or F student). The whole Boalt grading system is kind of BS in my opinion. I mean it is great in that it serves as a safety net; but they try to pitch it as if Boalt doesn't grade, and they definitely do.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:03 am

I'm psuedo excited about getting to take an elective next semester. How many other people get to dip their toes in the cool water of tax law as a 1L? Only an envied few I can imagine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:58 am

I have three substantive (CivPro, Torts, Contracts) w/graded LRW and I can't even imagine how bad it would be to have the extra class.

Also, reading Shady Grove in CivPro is awful. Long case with a concurrence and a dissent, no supplement since it's like 4 months old AND it's an Erie case :(.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:43 am

delBarco wrote:I'm psuedo excited about getting to take an elective next semester. How many other people get to dip their toes in the cool water of tax law as a 1L? Only an envied few I can imagine.
Meh, every upperclassmen I've talked to seemed to think that taking an extra elective class during 1L is just shooting yourself in the foot in regards to grade competition. No envy here.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:55 am

delBarco wrote:I'm psuedo excited about getting to take an elective next semester. How many other people get to dip their toes in the cool water of tax law as a 1L? Only an envied few I can imagine.
I'll be taking crim pro for my elective.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:28 pm

Also, I hate the erie doctrine. hate hate hate. (It's kinda fun? though)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:31 pm

betasteve wrote:
federal income taxation is the most boring class in the fucking world.
I loved accounting during UG though. Are they similar?

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:17 pm

betasteve wrote:
delBarco wrote:
betasteve wrote:
federal income taxation is the most boring class in the fucking world.
I loved accounting during UG though. Are they similar?
According to my buddy that has his Masters of Accountancy and is a CPA - it's boring as fuck.
FUUUUUUUUU. Well, since i've decided i'm pretty sure i'm going to get a Tax LLM now, I might as well embrace the boring.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:29 pm

What's the appeal of tax law? It bores me to just think about it.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:15 pm

beach_terror wrote:What's the appeal of tax law? It bores me to just think about it.
--ImageRemoved--

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:50 pm

We have an elective next term (most of us are taking Evidence) and then our Spring term is the end of a Federal Litigation course + electives, so we get 3-4. I don't know of anyone taking tax though...

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:45 pm

Kretzy wrote:
We have an elective next term (most of us are taking Evidence) and then our Spring term is the end of a Federal Litigation course + electives, so we get 3-4. I don't know of anyone taking tax though...
I might be the only one in my class doing it, because it's a 4 hour course and known to be fairly difficult, sooooo 18 credit hours of Con Law, Property, Crim, appellate briefs, and taxation for me in the spring. That's livin' the dream . . .

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:26 am

The traditional CL rape laws piss me off beyond belief, as do the cases decided on them.

That's all, just had to tell that to someone

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:38 am

goosey wrote:The traditional CL rape laws piss me off beyond belief, as do the cases decided on them.

You read Mlinarich? Crazy case . . .

Also, general word of advice: make sure your professor didn't represent a client in a case before badmouthing the result in class.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:25 am

goosey wrote:The traditional CL rape laws piss me off beyond belief, as do the cases decided on them.

What, did you think you came upstairs to play Scrabble?

Rusk v. State - that comment in the dissent was particularly ridiculous.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:07 pm

beach_terror wrote:

What, did you think you came upstairs to play Scrabble?

Rusk v. State - that comment in the dissent was particularly ridiculous.
I like how at one point he italicizes a whole sentence: "He said nothing!"
Tip: If, during the course of creating a professional, formal piece of writing, you find yourself italicizing an entire sentence - and then using an exclamation mark with it - it's time to take a little step back and count to ten. What's next - capslock?

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:40 pm

"She then testified that she started to cry and he 'started lightly to choke' her, whatever that means. Obviously, the choking was not of any persuasive significance."

Obviously.

Ersatz Haderach

Bronze

Post by Ersatz Haderach » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:04 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:

You read Mlinarich? Crazy case . . .

Also, general word of advice: make sure your professor didn't represent a client in a case before badmouthing the result in class.
That case is so bad...I like that the girl's brother just wanted to "teach her a lesson" by filing criminal charges against her and getting her made a ward of the state and then a ward of her pervert neighbor. Jesus.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rejectmaster

Bronze

Post by rejectmaster » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:46 pm

would you all agree that the "crunch" is kicking in right about now?

solotee

Bronze

Post by solotee » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:48 pm

rejectmaster wrote:would you all agree that the "crunch" is kicking in right about now?
For me yes, for the rest...I'd give it another week.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:48 pm

Monday it all started. Library till 9 p.m. at minimum at this point, memo on overload, outlines about halfway done, been lazy with the supplements because I simply dont have the time but I feel pretty good in every class except Civ Pro so Glannon needs to be my guide.

Crunchtime is here, although the library is still pretty empty and people freak out when I tell them about already outlining.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:40 pm

rejectmaster wrote:would you all agree that the "crunch" is kicking in right about now?
It appears to with the people I've talked to at my school. I can, really for the first time, feel a tangible sense of fear and anxiety about finals in the air. Seems like the calendar flipping over to November was the "oh shit" moment for a lot of people.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”