Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
keg411

Platinum

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Post by keg411 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:33 pm

Future interests can DIAF.

Pretzel_Logic

Platinum

Post by Pretzel_Logic » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:15 pm

Property is amazingly boring. Honestly, I'm stunned. I prefer reading civil procedure, and that's saying something.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:24 pm

I actually love Civ Pro. It just seems really clear and pretty interesting.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:26 pm

Also, we do nothing in property. You think I'm exaggerating but I assure you I am not. Its just bunch of people raising their hands to argue with each other. We have 15 pages assigned for tomorrow, guaranteed we dont get through 2 of them.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:14 am

BarbellDreams wrote:Also, we do nothing in property. You think I'm exaggerating but I assure you I am not. Its just bunch of people raising their hands to argue with each other. We have 15 pages assigned for tomorrow, guaranteed we dont get through 2 of them.
i have the exact same thing happening in my class. i don't get it - my prof is very highly regarded, is this some sort of optimal methodology of teaching property?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:17 am

dailygrind wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:Also, we do nothing in property. You think I'm exaggerating but I assure you I am not. Its just bunch of people raising their hands to argue with each other. We have 15 pages assigned for tomorrow, guaranteed we dont get through 2 of them.
i have the exact same thing happening in my class. i don't get it - my prof is very highly regarded, is this some sort of optimal methodology of teaching property?
This doesn't happen in my class :(. But my prof is really a soft IP/media law person (we spent 2+ classes on rights of publicity).

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:04 am

Snow day. Otherwise would have had Con, Crim, Evidence, and CivPro. Yesss.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:32 pm

I'm pretty sure my torts professor loves to spew high-browed theory to us, knowing that we don't understand a damn thing he is saying.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:53 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:I'm pretty sure my torts professor loves to spew high-browed theory to us, knowing that we don't understand a damn thing he is saying.
have you taken a look at abraham's tort book? the concepts and insights series, very short, very accessible. the man crams extremely high level ideas into extremely simple packages in a way that's extraordinary.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Reinhardt

Bronze

Post by Reinhardt » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:39 am

Maybe I'm just jealous because I don't bring my computer to class, but nearly everyone with one is:

-Gmail chatting
-On Gilt Group
-Shoe shopping
-Looking at airline tickets
-Doing crossword puzzles
-Playing Bejeweled
-Looking at Med School admissions websites (!)

It's rather distracting.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:41 am

Pretzel_Logic wrote:Property is amazingly boring. Honestly, I'm stunned. I prefer reading civil procedure, and that's saying something.

Property has been my favorite subject so far, huh

BarbellDreams wrote:I actually love Civ Pro. It just seems really clear and pretty interesting.

You trolling

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:23 am

D. H2Oman wrote:
Pretzel_Logic wrote:Property is amazingly boring. Honestly, I'm stunned. I prefer reading civil procedure, and that's saying something.

BarbellDreams wrote:I actually love Civ Pro. It just seems really clear and pretty interesting.

You trolling
Haha, no, I really do enjoy Civ Pro. SO far the classes are as follows:

Civ Pro: Interesting.
Crim Pro: Interesting but he goes on tangents rather easily.
Property: Kill me now, for God sakes stop raising your hands everyone, we haven't gotten through half the reading once this semester.
Con Law: Difficult, but I am learning to like it a bit more. Once we left the whole executive vs. legislative power section everything became a lot easier.
HelLWR: Well, the appellate brief just got assigned, that should be "fun".

rejectmaster

Bronze

Post by rejectmaster » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:56 am

Stanford4Me wrote:I'm pretty sure my torts professor loves to spew high-browed theory to us, knowing that we don't understand a damn thing he is saying.
torts is retarded and pretty much all torts "policy" is equally dumb

one statistic completely based on nothing must be more than the product of two other baseless statistics

torts...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:02 pm

Reinhardt wrote:Maybe I'm just jealous because I don't bring my computer to class, but nearly everyone with one is:

-Gmail chatting
-On Gilt Group
-Shoe shopping
-Looking at airline tickets
-Doing crossword puzzles
-Playing Bejeweled
-Looking at Med School admissions websites (!)

It's rather distracting.
Why should it matter to you?

I paid attention in Con Law for maybe 5 minutes total today, and I would bet $20 it is my best grade. Class time is utterly worthless is most classes.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:38 pm

Exchange I had at the end of class today with another student about how our Property class is just people rising hands and giving pointless hypos and arguing with one another to waste everyone else's time:

Me: "Property is absolutely ridiculous. We never go over anything. Its just people bitching back and forth "Thats not fair!" or "But how about if THIS happened" over and over again."

Him: "You just dont get law school. It has nothing to do with black letter law, precedants or the justice system. Law school is all about philosophy, and these conversations are all teaching us how to think like a lawyer. If you came to law school to learn black letter law you came for the wrong reasons."

Me: "In other words, you're going to be one of those lawyers who gets rocked by black letter law and precedants in court while you're desperately fumbling around trying to make some useless policy excuse for an argument. Good luck with that."

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:43 pm

Law school pet peeve no. 4,921:

You do not go to Stanford Law School. You do not go to Harvard Law School. You do not even go to Michigan Law School. You go to Washington University in St. Louis School of Law. So why in the hell are you wearing your MICHIGAN LAW t-shirt? Why are you donning a Stanford Law School hoodie? I can only come to one of three conclusions: 1) you are confused as to where you are, 2) you got into one of these schools and you are showing off to everyone else (in which case... wtf are you doing here?), or 3) you bought the shirt before getting rejected.

In any case, you should go to the bookstore and get yourself a Wash U shirt to straighten things out.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:45 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Exchange I had at the end of class today with another student about how our Property class is just people rising hands and giving pointless hypos and arguing with one another to waste everyone else's time:

Me: "Property is absolutely ridiculous. We never go over anything. Its just people bitching back and forth "Thats not fair!" or "But how about if THIS happened" over and over again."

Him: "You just dont get law school. It has nothing to do with black letter law, precedants or the justice system. Law school is all about philosophy, and these conversations are all teaching us how to think like a lawyer. If you came to law school to learn black letter law you came for the wrong reasons."

Me: "In other words, you're going to be one of those lawyers who gets rocked by black letter law and precedants in court while you're desperately fumbling around trying to make some useless policy excuse for an argument. Good luck with that."

The weirdest part is that even professors who talk almost exclusively about philosophy and policy and rationale then give exams that are entirely issue spotter.

My Torts prof spent 90% of class on policy, and I didn't do any on the exam and got a good grade.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:47 pm

romothesavior wrote:Law school pet peeve no. 4,921:

You do not go to Stanford Law School. You do not go to Harvard Law School. You do not even go to Michigan Law School. You go to Washington University in St. Louis School of Law. So why in the hell are you wearing your MICHIGAN LAW t-shirt? Why are you donning a Stanford Law School hoodie? I can only come to one of three conclusions: 1) you are confused as to where you are, 2) you got into one of these schools and you are showing off to everyone else (in which case... wtf are you doing here?), or 3) you bought the shirt before getting rejected.

In any case, you should go to the bookstore and get yourself a Wash U shirt to straighten things out.
Wearing a Michigan or Stanford hoodie okay, you could be a sports fan. But wearing the Michigan Law hoodie is just weird.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:48 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:Exchange I had at the end of class today with another student about how our Property class is just people rising hands and giving pointless hypos and arguing with one another to waste everyone else's time:

The weirdest part is that even professors who talk almost exclusively about philosophy and policy and rationale then give exams that are entirely issue spotter.

My Torts prof spent 90% of class on policy, and I didn't do any on the exam and got a good grade.

Honestly, at this point I WISH we discussed policy compared to the waste of time that we're put through on a daily basis with hypotheticals. The guy I was talking to in that conversation raises his hand at least 4 times per class and gives stupid hypos or tries to argue that everything the court said is unfair because he can come up with an argument for why the opposite is true. Its utterly useless. If I had unlimited skips I would likely skip at least the next week if not the next month of this class, good thing I have absolutely zero interest in property as a career path.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:49 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Wearing a Michigan or Stanford hoodie okay, you could be a sports fan. But wearing the Michigan Law hoodie is just weird.
This.

I still have my old Miami shirts from when I liked the football team, still wear them to the gym sometimes. I also own a Michigan football shirt and a Duke basketball shirt lying around somewhere. I definitely dont own any LAW SCHOOL apparel from other schools.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:52 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Wearing a Michigan or Stanford hoodie okay, you could be a sports fan. But wearing the Michigan Law hoodie is just weird.
This.

I still have my old Miami shirts from when I liked the football team, still wear them to the gym sometimes. I also own a Michigan football shirt and a Duke basketball shirt lying around somewhere. I definitely dont own any LAW SCHOOL apparel from other schools.
Oh yeah I agree. I am not talking about people wearing just plain shirts. They might have gone to school there, or maybe they are a fan. But I see (almost daily) people wearing apparel of another law school, and I am just baffled. I saw someone today wearing an SLS shirt and was very confused. Why would you buy an SLS shirt? If you got in at SLS, why are you at WUSTL?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:54 pm

romothesavior wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Wearing a Michigan or Stanford hoodie okay, you could be a sports fan. But wearing the Michigan Law hoodie is just weird.
This.

Oh yeah I agree. I am not talking about people wearing just plain shirts. They might have gone to school there, or maybe they are a fan. But I see (almost daily) people wearing apparel of another law school, and I am just baffled. I saw someone today wearing an SLS shirt and was very confused. Why would you buy an SLS shirt? If you got in at SLS, why are you at WUSTL?
Hoping that employers on the street will see them and assume thats where they go.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:55 pm

romothesavior wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:
This.

I only see one guy at my school do anything like this, and he wears a Minnesota Law shirt he got at their ASW when he was on our waitlist.

Why you would buy apparel of better schools is beyond me. You should make fun of them lightheartedly.

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:58 pm

I can send you an NYU Law shirt if you don't want to look out of place at Wash U.

Zindras

New

Post by Zindras » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:42 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:

You trolling
That's because Gottesman is awesome. Cohn is great too, but... "Rule 26... Rule 27... Rule 28... Rule 29..."

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”