Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Matteliszt

Silver

Re: The Gunner Thread

Post by Matteliszt » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:47 am

inchoate_con wrote:
stonepeep wrote:This is what I was trying to get at before. What irritates me about this forum is that people are told over, and over, and over again that they are wasting their time but they just put their hands over their ears and refuse to listen.
Wasting time? I'm here only to offer some tips on OneNote, but come on .... wasting time? Guy "A" reads an E&E over the summer, or Guy "B" who spends hours a day on TLS arguing minutia. Guy A vs. guy B probably have different ideas about what's a wasting of time.

I prepped... did very good, and I believe it was because of the prep.

This debate is all over tls can we not have it here as well please? I am very glad you came in with the one note advice inchoate.

stonepeep

Bronze

Post by stonepeep » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:48 am

Matteliszt wrote:Thank you for taking the time to post here. I for one am not stressing out. I am excited and ready to go. as traehekat said, some people study different. I like to be organized and think strategically about all aspects of life. I enjoy planning. I like when things are in order. I am in a city other than my hometown and have few friends here, and now that my job has ended, I have quite a bit of time on my hands. What I would like to do with that time is plan how I will spend my next year. I am sorry if you feel this is detrimental but for myself I know it to be helpful.
Look, I get that, I do. I'm also a planner and compared to most people I'm pretty obsessive about it. My point is simply this: it's one thing to plan; it's another thing to plan and think it's going to be instrumental to your success. If you're just planning to fill the time, then what the hell. If you're planning because you think you MUST plan and if you don't schedule your practice exam taking date NOW you will FAIL AND DIE IN A GUTTER, then you have a problem.

Admittedly it can be hard to discern the former from the latter in this forum, but I have been reading this forum long enough to know that there are plenty of people who really and truly believe the latter, and those are the people that I wish would just relax.
it's a shame you won't know how that worked out for you until grades come out
This shit right here!

inchoate_con

Bronze

Post by inchoate_con » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:50 am

Yea, I'm going to spend the weekend creating a comprehensive photo tutorial since little written material for OneNote exists. I'll spend some time on it, and use it for the TLS comp forum.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:51 am

Yo so guys how many times did you guys get through the E&Es? Personally I'm on my third run, kind of lame redoing all the hypos tho. Prolly gunna read Black's Law Dictionary cover to cover tomorrow.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:52 am

stonepeep wrote:
SwollenMonkey wrote:Birdie Secrets to Success in Law School (LinkRemoved)
Many lawyers and current law students will be quick to tell entering first year law students, “Enjoy your summer before law school because it will be the last chance you have! You don’t need to prepare.” While there may be some truth in this being the last summer you may enjoy the whole summer, this is not prudent advice for students entering law school this fall. As the squirrels who buried their nuts all fall know, preparation before the coming challenge (in the squirrel’s case winter) makes the challenge significantly easier and more likely that you will survive and thrive in the face of the challenge.
Why do so many lawyers and current law students give this advice? There could be many reasons. I believe that most of them say this because this statement relieves them of the duty of giving any helpful tips and advice to first year law students. While it may appear selfish to the daughter when her mother does not pass on how she aced law school thirty years earlier or to the friend whose friend made the top 10% of her class last year, lawyers and law students are busy people and giving the tricks of the trade to a newbie law student usually does not fit into their tight schedules.
Read the rest of this entry here

--LinkRemoved--

This is not my blog. And, for one perspective that is negative, there will be one or two positive perspective to counter the negativity.
First of all, that person is apparently trying to sell some sort of product so their advice is biased.

Second of all, you're wrong. I'm not telling people to chill the fuck out because I'm "selfish" or want to be "relieve[d] of the duty of giving any helpful tips and advice" to 1Ls. I'm giving this advice because it is honestly the most helpful advice I can give.

The whole "should I prep before 1L" argument comes up over and over again, and while this thread was not about that, you brought it up and I want to address it. I think there is exactly one "how to succeed" thread on TLS that recommended prepping to any extent. All of the other "recommendations" come from threads with titles like "what would you do differently?" and the question I always want to ask people who bring up the advice in those threads is, why in the hell are you taking advice from people who have regrets about how their 1L year went? Of course people who didn't do as well as they wanted to do are going to come up with many, many things they think they could possibly have done to improve. There is absolutely no way to know if any of those things would actually have helped them. But if you ask those of us who did well and don't have regrets about how 1L year went, the number of us who think 0L prep makes any goddamn sense at all is practically nonexistent.

It's the same with all of the incessant stressing about "how do I take notes?" etc. It's just not necessary. If you distill all of the "success in law school" threads they all say basically the same thing: don't fuck around too much; actually take practice exams; and supplement your assigned reading when necessary.

There is no magical formula to doing well in law school. There is exactly one thing you have to be good at: applying the law to the facts. You get good at that by understanding the law and practicing your legal writing. It's not complicated and it makes me sad that so many people want to make it so complicated and waste so much energy on things that just do not matter.

But what do I know, right? In my 1L year I did what all of you in this thread wanted to accomplish, but since I'm not telling you to micromanage your life I must be selfish and keeping all my good advice to myself.
Ok. She is offering something just as this thread is offering something. No one is forcing you to frequent either link. Secondly, this is an online support thread as well. It'd be cool if your views would chill for a moment. I don't want to address every point you made as you're making some assumptions that are baseless. I will say this though, No one here claims that this is going to be a "magic formula". Okay? Give the people in this thread a little credit. Finally, if this were such a common idea, a thread like this would have appeared years go, but nope. Only today did such a thread title get posted. Think about that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Matteliszt

Silver

Post by Matteliszt » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:53 am

traehekat wrote:Yo so guys how many times did you guys get through the E&Es? Personally I'm on my third run, kind of lame redoing all the hypos tho. Prolly gunna read Black's Law Dictionary cover to cover tomorrow.
I just did LEEWS for the 15th time.

to a new topic - what are you guys doing to destress?

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:55 am

Matteliszt wrote:
traehekat wrote:Yo so guys how many times did you guys get through the E&Es? Personally I'm on my third run, kind of lame redoing all the hypos tho. Prolly gunna read Black's Law Dictionary cover to cover tomorrow.
Only took me 11 times to commit it to memory, word for word.

I must have "the right stuff".

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:55 am

Matteliszt wrote:

Probably the usual stuff - working out, a little video games, a little TV, a little going out. I like to head to the gym and just grab a basketball and shoot around. That has always kind of been my stress reducer.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:56 am

Matteliszt wrote:

I'm going to start LEEWS tomorrow and work on it nonstop until classes begin. That gives me over 130 hrs just studying and perfecting the LEEWS method!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

skoobily doobily

Bronze

Post by skoobily doobily » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:56 am

Matteliszt wrote:

Fantasy football
Bonfires in my backyard
racquetball if I can find a playing buddy
and MORE YUENGLING THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:57 am

Ah I'm also doing some fantasy football. Honestly I'm just counting down the days til the NBA season starts. Hell... PRESEASON even.

Matteliszt

Silver

Post by Matteliszt » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:59 am

traehekat wrote:
Matteliszt wrote:

Still didnt get into my school though. Pwned.

just kidding I love you. To be serious though, a thread was entered in the content competition about getting your resume together and how to do it before December 1st. I think a link would be really good for this thread. I can't seem to find it, does anyone know what I am talking about?

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:01 am

Matteliszt wrote:
traehekat wrote:
Matteliszt wrote:

Still didnt get into my school though. Pwned.

just kidding I love you. To be serious though, a thread was entered in the content competition about getting your resume together and how to do it before December 1st. I think a link would be really good for this thread. I can't seem to find it, does anyone know what I am talking about?
hahahaha well played, sir.

thats weird you mention the resume, though, cause i have a list of things to do on my desk right here and they are all crossed out except "update resume". i hate doing resume/cover letter shit so i've been putting that off, although i know i should get it done before school starts.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Matteliszt

Silver

Post by Matteliszt » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:06 am

TBH when you got WL I was so confused(+kinda bummed out), we are virtually numbers twins and I got in with $$.

I am going to find that thread tomorrow and post a link, it was real helpful because it helped with timelining everything. Goodnight for now though!

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:57 am

I love you skoobily doobily. I also love matteliszt.

Duralex

Bronze

Post by Duralex » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:29 am

Heraclitus vs. Parmenides. Go!

See here for my comments on OneNote alternatives for macs:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 9#p3331941
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 9#p3336225

Matteliszt

Silver

Post by Matteliszt » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:00 pm

Duralex wrote:Heraclitus vs. Parmenides. Go!
Parmenides

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lawschoolstudent85

Bronze

Post by lawschoolstudent85 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:29 pm

tag

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:42 pm

i intend to frequent this thread as soon as i'm done moving. thanks guys!

Matteliszt

Silver

Post by Matteliszt » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:25 pm

jayn3 wrote:i intend to frequent this thread as soon as i'm done moving. thanks guys!

hi Jayn3. I missed you :(

Matteliszt

Silver

Post by Matteliszt » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:26 pm

Matteliszt wrote:
Duralex wrote:Heraclitus vs. Parmenides. Go!
Parmenides

RE Paramenides: Duralex are you a Badiou fan?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Duralex

Bronze

Post by Duralex » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:43 pm

I haven't read much of his stuff, but what I've encountered was interesting.

Duralex

Bronze

Post by Duralex » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:42 pm

Hopefully it will just be a depository for potentially useful 1L miscellany that doesn't merit its own thread.

I don't think anyone's looking to fuck up the forum.

Matteliszt

Silver

Post by Matteliszt » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:39 pm

betasteve wrote:God - I am just now starting to think about how redundant this thread is going to be.
A couple tips for you all:

If you want to ask law questions or hypos, it's probably better to do it in the forum in a separate thread. You'll get participants that otherwise wouldn't even come in this thread (such as 2Ls).

Try not to turn this into a "club." Those threads are ok in the lounge, but incredibly annoying in the on-topic forums.

Try not to fuck up the forums for the 2 and 3Ls.

Thank you in advance.

Thanks for the advice steve. Especially re: the hypos. I know skoob, stanny and I will try to keep this thread as on topic, inclusive and helpful as this section of the forum is and always will be and I hope all users will do the same.

skoobily doobily

Bronze

Post by skoobily doobily » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Question for those of you who know:

typically how many cases are you responsible for reading/briefing for each class, per class?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”