Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Grizz

Diamond

Re: Thread Unworthy 1L fears, inquiries, and rants welcome here

Post by Grizz » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:58 pm

GATORTIM wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:I am flat out dying in classes right now. I will be bottom 10% to balance out 1st semester grades if this continues. No motivation at all lately.
I'm "proofing" my citations right now which pretty much means check one then surf the internet or doing something else remotely more interesting than legal writing (such as waxing my car or sticking my head in a fucking dumpster) for an hour or so and then going back to my brief.
That's a typical LRW day for me.

screwsandboalts

New

Post by screwsandboalts » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:59 pm

i completely agree - it is ridiculously difficult to find motiviation to do ANYTHING this semester. as much as i know all of the readings are important, i just dont care as much as i did first semester. also, trying to find a summer job sucks. i feel like im the last person without anything and im going to end up working at the cafe on the corner.

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:19 am

Erie/Hanna is a colossal barricade to my success in CivPro - no other concept in any class has ever frustrated me so much.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:43 am

YourCaptain wrote:Erie/Hanna is a colossal barricade to my success in CivPro - no other concept in any class has ever frustrated me so much.
Have you used the E&E for that? I found it very helpful.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:57 am

I learned Erie to the point where I was teaching it to people before the final (Final ended up having to do nothing with Erie) and I attribute a lot of that to the E&E.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:59 am

BarbellDreams wrote:I learned Erie to the point where I was teaching it to people before the final (Final ended up having to do nothing with Erie) and I attribute a lot of that to the E&E.
HOARD YOUR KNOWLEDGE

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:09 pm

YourCaptain wrote:Erie/Hanna is a colossal barricade to my success in CivPro - no other concept in any class has ever frustrated me so much.
the barbri civ pro lectures are pure gold. i put down a deposit just to get them and i've never regretted it.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:58 pm

There was a thread about this earlier but I can't find it: Whats the best supplement for Civ Pro thats focused on FRCP (Not E&E since it has very general FRCP stuff)?

MBZags

Silver

Post by MBZags » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:10 pm

I'm so glad I don't have to deal with that. Our professor told us to skim the cases involving Erie, and he'd just lecture about it one day. It probably won't even be on our exam.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:36 pm

dailygrind wrote:
the barbri civ pro lectures are pure gold. i put down a deposit just to get them and i've never regretted it.
This x infinite.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:07 pm

dailygrind wrote:
FWIW the Freer hornbook on civ pro is about 5-6 times more thorough than the E&E, and makes it incredibly clear.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:01 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
dailygrind wrote:
FWIW the Freer hornbook on civ pro is about 5-6 times more thorough than the E&E, and makes it incredibly clear.
Freer for President.

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:18 pm

I can't do citations. The bluebook says one thing. I think my teacher said another. Then I have a case with numerous paralell citations, and has been affirmed my a supreme court. I literally don't know what to do.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:20 pm

There is no way in hell I can get another A- in LRW this semester. This brief is going to be absolute dogshit.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:21 pm

joining as I write my brief

what the fuck is a persuasive argument?

LET ME BE OBJECTIVE

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:58 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
dailygrind wrote:
Freer for President.
After a couchparty with Misters Freer and Glannon, I believe I have a decent grasp on Erie. Better, perhaps. Not perfect, but that will come in late march when the review begins.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:08 pm

I feel like I'm missing something on Erie. We covered the Erie chapter in like 2-3 days and it didn't seem that complicated, but I've heard nightmare stories about Erie on TLS for months.

Am I missing something here?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:13 pm

romothesavior wrote:I feel like I'm missing something on Erie. We covered the Erie chapter in like 2-3 days and it didn't seem that complicated, but I've heard nightmare stories about Erie on TLS for months.

Hold on, lemme check my class notes

Nope, you're good.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:22 pm

I don't think we covered Erie in as much detail or as intensely as you guys did. So maybe that's part of it.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:14 pm

Brief writing + katy perry - firework = fun time

JUST OWN THE NIGHT, LIKE THE 4TH OF JULY

MAKE EM GO UHH UHH UHH

yes, I'm a guy.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:26 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:47 pm

romothesavior wrote:I feel like I'm missing something on Erie. We covered the Erie chapter in like 2-3 days and it didn't seem that complicated, but I've heard nightmare stories about Erie on TLS for months.

+1. I've basically summed it up like, "Okay, Eerie says apply state law in federal courts. Got it. Some other case says apply FRCP in federal courts. Got it. Other cases make it clear that is difficult to tell sometimes what is substantive and what is procedural. Embrace the murkiness and just know how different courts have dealt with the issue."

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:43 am

traehekat wrote:

+1. I've basically summed it up like, "Okay, Eerie says apply state law in federal courts. Got it. Some other case says apply FRCP in federal courts. Got it. Other cases make it clear that is difficult to tell sometimes what is substantive and what is procedural. Embrace the murkiness and just know how different courts have dealt with the issue."
Getting points on an Erie question is all about acknowledging and analyzing all the different permutations. If you're allowed to have self-made materials, make yourself a flow chart and you'll live easy. If you signed up for BarBri, Freer's lecture on Erie is a really nice, succinct review. (In fact, Freer's lectures made for a really nice, succinct review on all of Civ Pro)

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:27 pm

romothesavior wrote:I don't think we covered Erie in as much detail or as intensely as you guys did. So maybe that's part of it.
erie itself isn't hard

it's the progeny that's the bitch

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:32 pm

I seriously loathe law school right now because of this brief. I should have took a year off, majored in something useful, or tried to be a pro video gamer. What the fuck, mangggggg.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”