Just got my book list...

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
dakatz

Just got my book list...

Postby dakatz » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:46 pm

I looked up my books online and found that there are supplements written by the same author, as well as casenote books that are keyed to my casebooks. Are these worthwhile to buy? Or is it best to just wait until class starts, and ask the professor which extra items he/she recommends?

dakatz

Re: Just got my book list...

Postby dakatz » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:52 pm

Any current students who have any opinion on this?

Jessep

Postby Jessep » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:23 pm

I really liked the casenotes/high-court case summaries keyed to textbooks. They are not a substitute for reading the cases though. I'd hold off on other supplements until you start unless they are required by your prof.

Black-Blue

Postby Black-Blue » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:11 pm

There are two schools of thoughts here; those that think casebooks are worthless (and supplements can teach you everything and do so more efficiently), and those that believe casebooks are necessary to appreciate or understand the topic.

I'm of the former type, so I would definitely get casebooks keyed to the author. I find it frustrating when I have a text that doesn't have a casenote supplement.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:40 pm

If Moore Torts, buy E+E. I don't think I know anyone that used casenote books.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”