"job" during 1L question Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
smittytron3k

Bronze

"job" during 1L question

Post by smittytron3k » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:16 pm

0L at HYS. i have a "job" offer which entails traveling on 1-3 weekends (my choice) during each semester to coach at high school debate tournaments. pay is $350 cash per weekend plus travel expenses, food, and incidentals. no obligations otherwise. good idea or bad idea? assume no issues with financial aid.

JazzOne

Gold

Re: "job" during 1L question

Post by JazzOne » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:49 am

smittytron3k wrote:0L at HYS. i have a "job" offer which entails traveling on 1-3 weekends (my choice) during each semester to coach at high school debate tournaments. pay is $350 cash per weekend plus travel expenses, food, and incidentals. no obligations otherwise. good idea or bad idea? assume no issues with financial aid.
Which weekends? If they are early in the semester, you'll be fine. If they are after Thanksgiving, it's a horrible idea.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:51 am

I know you're into HYS, which means you've got a golden ticket and are probably dancing around like Charlie and the God Damned Chocolate Factory, but I maintain that it's not smart to do anything during 1L except 1L. Especially something that (1) takes you out of town, and (2) can't be quit b/c you'll be a douche who's giving up on a bunch of kids. Just my $0.02.

twolv

New

Post by twolv » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:06 am

I have to say that I agree with MrKappus. In the grand scheme of things, $350/weekend is not a lot relative to how much your law school tuition is. Will the extra $ really make much of a difference? I would suggest that you focus on studying and keep the extra commitments to a minimum. You have your whole life to work, and you (probably) only have one chance at being a 1L. Make the most of it....and enjoy it! I promise it's possible.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:09 am

I don't necessarily disagree with the posters above. However, 1L isn't nearly as busy as people make it out to be. It doesn't get busy until Thanksgiving.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:13 am

JazzOne wrote:I don't necessarily disagree with the posters above. However, 1L isn't nearly as busy as people make it out to be. It doesn't get busy until Thanksgiving.
I just know (from personal experience) that recharging on weekends was a big part of my successful 1L year. If OP's doing planes, trains, and automobiles to high school debate tourneys, he's not recharging. I don't believe anyone in this thread is making 1L year out to be super-busy. I think we're making it out to be something on which you want to singularly focus. It's just one year, and you don't get a second shot at it. Just MHO.

StudentAthlete

New

Post by StudentAthlete » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:58 pm

JazzOne wrote:I don't necessarily disagree with the posters above. However, 1L isn't nearly as busy as people make it out to be. It doesn't get busy until Thanksgiving.
If your time management is good than its certainly bearable. However to say its not busy until Thanksgiving? Evidently I didn't manage my 1L year as well as I should have.

stonepeep

Bronze

Post by stonepeep » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:16 pm

It's funny, when I was a 0L I never noticed how insanely pessimistic everyone on this forum is.

OP - are you considering doing this for the money alone, or because you genuinely enjoy doing it? If the former, then it's probably not worth it, but if it's the latter then I say go for it. You will get so sick of law school related things that you will enjoy taking a break. Besides, anyone whose time management skills are so terrible that they cannot handle 1-3 work-less weekends during the semester is going to fail anyway.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:22 pm

If it's something you really want to do, go ahead and do it.

If it's something you really don't want to do, use "1L is going to be busy" as an excuse to decline.

Three weekends could be a dent in your free time over the course of the semester, but as long as you're not otherwise a slacker you can pull this off without it impacting your grades at all.

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:24 pm

I generally agree with MrK re; working 1L year, however...

food for thought. A good friend of mine did the exact job that you are contemplating doing and ended up just fine. Sometimes he was busier than he wanted to be but he noted that many employers are huge on debate and it is great to have it on the resume. In addition, he is working at a firm where he met the hiring partner through a debate tournament and got a callback due to the connection.

Not saying you should bank on this or it should be reason to do it vs. not do it. Just saying that there are bonuses besides the $ and the amount of time it takes away from your studies may not be that great.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”