how many upper-level bar courses should you take?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

how many?

No votes
No votes
33%
33%
No votes
No votes
No votes
33%
No votes
10 or more
No votes

Total votes: 3

Tsispilos

how many upper-level bar courses should you take?

Postby Tsispilos » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:46 pm

traditional "bar courses" include T&E, crim pro, bus orgs, evidence, secured transactions, commercial paper, family law, remedies, fed courts, conflicts ethics, etc. maybe some throw in admin, tax, insruance, etc.

obviously, you generally don't have space to take them all, but if you don't take any of them, you're probably going to have a sucky bar prep experience, even if you can still probably pass.

how many is generally advisable?

lishi

Re: how many upper-level bar courses should you take?

Postby lishi » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:57 pm

We have a professor at my school that always brings out studies stating that taking classes to prepare for the bar exam is only necessary for the bottom 1/3.

Take classes you think you'll enjoy. You are only in law school once. Also I'm paying over $3,000 for a 2-month course. I'm expecting them to teach me (and me teach myself what I need to) for the exam. Also I bet that unless you take those classes in your last semester you'll forget at least 75% of the stuff you learned.

Duchovnysfan

Re: how many upper-level bar courses should you take?

Postby Duchovnysfan » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:43 am

Look at the state's bar exam scope to see what "bar" courses you absolutely have to take. At my school, evidence is mandatory which actually works out, I think. Just looking at what other state bars' exams, and I keep seeing Crim Pro, Evidence, Business Organizations/Associations, Wills & Estates, and Sales (or Secured Transactions).

I keep hearing people have taken the Bar already say to definitely take Business Org/Assoc.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”