How indicative was the LSAT for law school performance?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
cgs230

How indicative was the LSAT for law school performance?

Postby cgs230 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:18 pm

Just curious - was anyone in the lower 25% (or lower) and performed highly during their 1L? Is it common for people with low LSATs to do well, or does the LSAT generally indicate where you'll fall within your class?

TommyK

Re: How indicative was the LSAT for law school performance?

Postby TommyK » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:21 pm

cgs230 wrote:Just curious - was anyone in the lower 25% (or lower) and performed highly during their 1L? Is it common for people with low LSATs to do well, or does the LSAT generally indicate where you'll fall within your class?

From what I have heard from adcomms, the LSAT is the highest correlated variable for academic success in law school. What you're asking for is anecdotal evidence counter to this, which you will find. You absolutely will find some folks who performed heroically on the LSAT, but flamed out in law school. You also will find the opposite. That being said, the correlation is much stronger with the LSAT and academic performance, than with uGPA and LS performance.

StrictlyLiable

Postby StrictlyLiable » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:24 pm

A lot of schools that have GPA requirements will claim that the LSAT is an indicator of those applicants that will keep their scholarship. I have had law students tell me personal anecdotes of very low scoring students leading the class, and actually those with high scores not doing so well.

findlayswimmer28

Postby findlayswimmer28 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:28 pm

My husband had a really really low LSAT, well below bottom 25%, and ended up in the top 1/3...LSAT is not always an indicator.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:31 pm

One huge statistical problem with comparing students who attend the same institution is that individual schools tend to have very narrow score ranges---the LSAT does not, and does not proclaim to, predict the difference between two students in the same score band. This is especially true at the very top of the LSAT scores (170+), so at the most elite schools, you will expect that the LSAT won't be indicative of much, because most of the students are on somewhat even ground in terms of what the LSAT is predicting.

It is correct in saying that in most cases(not, I didn't say all), if you take a student who went to a T4 school who had like a 150 LSAT and stuck them in at Columbia that person would be predicted to perform near the bottom of the class and probably would. There are always exceptions--sometimes there's just the rare individual who underperforms on standardized exams---this doesn't apply to the masses, however, and general rules don't adjust for rare exceptions.

Additionally, while the LSAT is *the best* predictor available, it is not perfect and fails to account for every single relevant factor(which would be impossible anyway). As such, it is useful for law schools to use the LSAT as an admissions variable since it's the best they've got, but it's not very useful for the individual starting law school to then predict their performance based on such (since most of their peers will probably fall within their own score band).

cgs230

Postby cgs230 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:10 pm

I feel like the undergraduate GPA -- the other "half" of a student's barometer -- is so obviously NOT an idicator of future success I don't even think about it! Its kind of a joke. Nothing I did in college is remotely relevant to the student I am/will be now. I had a good GPA, but I am putting ZERO weight on being some sort of indicator as to how well I'll do in law school. LSAT, who knows?

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:00 pm

I'll let you know when I retake law school.

sperry

Postby sperry » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:35 pm

I'm at a T14, had LSAT and GPA both over the 75th percentile for my school, and finished slightly below median.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”