Does your undergrad major matter at all toward your field?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
theman123

Does your undergrad major matter at all toward your field?

Postby theman123 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:35 pm

Would majoring in finance, accounting or another business major handcuff me to practicing tax law, or other business law? Or could I still do other fields of law?

the_kidult

Re: Does your undergrad major matter at all toward your field?

Postby the_kidult » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:40 pm

The answer is "No, undergrad majors don't matter, but with exception."

If you wish to pursue a career in a field like patent litigation, you can't even take the patent bar without having a bachelor's in the hard sciences.

vyelps

Postby vyelps » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:57 pm

those fields won't handcuff you. Accounting and/or finance could be helpful in practice. If you want to go into tax, securities, M&A, etc., I could see it being helpful especially when talking to clients. Lawyers tend to have a hand in shaping business decisions as well so understanding accounting and finance would be a plus. That being said, you can pick up a lot of stuff on the job. Major in what you enjoy studying.

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:07 pm

the_kidult wrote:If you wish to pursue a career in a field like patent litigation, you can't even take the patent bar without having a bachelor's in the hard sciences.

Not to be nit-picky, but patent litigators do not need to pass the patent bar. That is only necessary for patent prosecution (i.e. drafting and pushing through patents).

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”