Do you recommend working the weekends?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Should law students work on the weekends during 1L?

Yes
30%
No
70%

Total votes: 44

JustBelieve

Do you recommend working the weekends?

Postby JustBelieve » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:16 pm

Law school students: Would it be a good idea to work on the weekends in law school?

Re: Do you recommend working the weekends?

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:18 pm

JustBelieve wrote:Law school students: Would it be a good idea to work on the weekends in law school?

Work as in school work or work work?

JustBelieve

Postby JustBelieve » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:19 pm

blowhard wrote:
JustBelieve wrote:Law school students: Would it be a good idea to work on the weekends in law school?

Work as in any type of employment, just to bring in some cash.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:20 pm

JustBelieve wrote:
blowhard wrote:

Work as in any type of employment, just to bring in some cash.

No, I'd recommend you not work at all. There is a reason the ABA highly discourages this (and imposes a limit on hours). Some schools make you sign a pledge saying you won't work at all during 1L.

Jackie O

Postby Jackie O » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:29 pm

I wouldn't recommend planning to regularly work on weekends while in school - I think it's different if you're short on cash and spend the occasional friday working the street, but on a scheduled basis is probably a bad idea

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:30 pm

Jackie O wrote:I wouldn't recommend planning to regularly work on weekends while in school - I think it's different if you're short on cash and spend the occasional friday working the street, but on a scheduled basis is probably a bad idea

QFP

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:26 pm

I almost voted yes, until I read down and realized you meant a JOB, not school work. I am betting the two who voted yes did the same thing as I almost did.

teebone51

Postby teebone51 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:36 pm

get a job teaching ACT or SAT for the princeton review, kaplan, etc. after your first class the material pretty much teaches itself, and every other week you get to proctor tests which means you get paid to sit there and study. and it gives you good public speaking experience, which can be useful for certain fields of law. can't beat it, imo.

Postby 20160810 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:35 pm

betasteve wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E82ozXyNjk

Working for the weekend ≠ working on the weekend.

RC, Beta.

soaponarope

Postby soaponarope » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:49 pm

Like everything in law... it "depends".

What type of job?

I have a library job lined up... My job is sitting at the front desk and getting paid $10 an hour to study (2x a week). Occasionally someone will prob ask where a certain book is, or how to print, etc... Whatever. I can deal with that. Besides, I'll basically know where every book/supp I need is located.

ps. I do not have spellcheck.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:39 am

soaponarope wrote:Like everything in law... it "depends".

What type of job?

I have a library job lined up... My job is sitting at the front desk and getting paid $10 an hour to study (2x a week). Occasionally someone will prob ask where a certain book is, or how to print, etc... Whatever. I can deal with that. Besides, I'll basically know where every book/supp I need is located.

Sure you do. Or at least you should. The original spellcheck: two eyes and a brain.

soaponarope

Postby soaponarope » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:44 am

Bosque wrote:
soaponarope wrote:Like everything in law... it "depends".

What type of job?

Sure you do. Or at least you should. The original spellcheck: two eyes and a brain.

Internet Explorer does not have a spellcheck... so no, I don't have one. As for two eyes and a brain, well... I am human. "ps. I do not have a spellcheck" is my moniker just so prententious asshole (like yourself) can keep your oh-so rightousness to yourself.

Dead Ringer

Postby Dead Ringer » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:12 am

Yeah I just made the mistake of thinking you meant "do school work on weekends". No you should probably not be doing work work as a 1L unless you are the sort of person who can live with having no free time, and then you should probably be full gunning anyways.

I don't think a little tutoring would hurt if you have a good lsat, but beyond that I wouldn't even think about it. The benefit just isn't there unless working is a necessity, in which case you might want to save before going to LS so it isn't.

And even though you didn't ask, you should do school work on weekends.

chicagolaw2013

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:41 am

teebone51 wrote:get a job teaching ACT or SAT for the princeton review, kaplan, etc. after your first class the material pretty much teaches itself, and every other week you get to proctor tests which means you get paid to sit there and study. and it gives you good public speaking experience, which can be useful for certain fields of law. can't beat it, imo.

I do this. I won't be teaching any proper classes this term (due to my schedule being all over the place), but I'll be proctoring. You get paid for 4 hours to sit and study. It's pretty effing awesome. I hope to teach a class next term though...I'll give up a whopping 3 hours or so a week of my time for an extra bit of change in my pocket.

StudentAthlete

Postby StudentAthlete » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:07 pm

Not a good idea, unless you can book brief while in the break room- which is an equally bad idea.

pandacot

Postby pandacot » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:42 pm

I worked about 20-30 hours on weekends & Fridays. Did pretty well during 1L. However, I enjoy working and can't stand to have down time.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:44 pm

pandacot wrote:I worked about 20-30 hours on weekends & Fridays. Did pretty well during 1L. However, I enjoy working and can't stand to have down time.

Do you think if you would have spent that extra 20-30 hours studying you would have done better 1L? Or you think it would have been overkill / you wouldn't be able to study that much more..?

pandacot

Postby pandacot » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:52 pm

thecilent wrote:
pandacot wrote:I worked about 20-30 hours on weekends & Fridays. Did pretty well during 1L. However, I enjoy working and can't stand to have down time.

Do you think if you would have spent that extra 20-30 hours studying you would have done better 1L? Or you think it would have been overkill / you wouldn't be able to study that much more..?

I got almost all A's and nothing below a B+, so there was certainly room for improvement. I studied a lot during the week, especially during the first semester. I studied much less during the second semester.
There is always some area of law that could be studied more during 1L, but studying 7-5 (or so) on weekdays was enough for me to understand most of the material.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:08 pm

pandacot wrote:
thecilent wrote:

I got almost all A's and nothing below a B+, so there was certainly room for improvement. I studied a lot during the week, especially during the first semester. I studied much less during the second semester.
There is always some area of law that could be studied more during 1L, but studying 7-5 (or so) on weekdays was enough for me to understand most of the material.

Gotya, gotya.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”