1L Summer, Study Abroad or Intern

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
soaponarope

Re: 1L Summer, Study Abroad or Intern

Postby soaponarope » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:41 pm

Cavalier wrote:
GoodToBeTheKing wrote:I will be starting law school in about 2 weeks. I am going to a 2 tier school on the east coast but plan to go back to the west coast after school (assuming that I can find work over there). I am interested in international law, however that may change when I start school. Further, I did not study abroad when I was in undergrad, but I have always wanted to.

Don't go to law school. You'll thank me in three years.

Good grief... you're so obvious, it's insulting.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:52 pm

soaponarope wrote:
Cavalier wrote:
GoodToBeTheKing wrote:I will be starting law school in about 2 weeks. I am going to a 2 tier school on the east coast but plan to go back to the west coast after school (assuming that I can find work over there). I am interested in international law, however that may change when I start school. Further, I did not study abroad when I was in undergrad, but I have always wanted to.

Better to be insulting than to lie to someone that they can go to a tier two school on the east coast to practice international law on the west coast. OP obviously has done very little research into the legal profession; otherwise s/he wouldn't be asking this sort of question because s/he would know that even students at top ten schools are struggling to find any legal employment at all. Someone who is this clueless about what they are getting into should just avoid law school entirely.

midwestls

Postby midwestls » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:20 pm

The best thing you can do 1L summer, aside from the longshot of securing a paid position, is a federal court internship. It's really valued by employers, will teach you a lot, and will result in a great writing sample if the judge allows you to write a draft opinion.

Going overseas is a bad idea IMO. Employers look at it as a vacation, no matter how many classes you take.

GoodToBeTheKing

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:17 pm

Danteshek wrote:
UCLAtransfer wrote:
GoodToBeTheKing wrote:I may even bolster my resume by clerking my first year out of school (40% of students from my school end up clerking, and most are for federal court judges in 3rd district).

?

I guess OP is going to Yale, and not a 2nd tier school on the east coast.

No... I am going to Rutgers-Camden, where we rank second to Yale in placing students in clerkships (with over half being in federal court)

Edit: Last year we placed more students than Yale into clerkship positions. I just verified this through LSAC's website. Many of the clerkship positions are not state courts either. Philadelphia is a mile away, with a fed. district court, and NJ's southern federal district court house is across the street from the school.
Last edited by GoodToBeTheKing on Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoodToBeTheKing

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Cavalier wrote:
soaponarope wrote:
Cavalier wrote:

Better to be insulting than to lie to someone that they can go to a tier two school on the east coast to practice international law on the west coast. OP obviously has done very little research into the legal profession; otherwise s/he wouldn't be asking this sort of question because s/he would know that even students at top ten schools are struggling to find any legal employment at all. Someone who is this clueless about what they are getting into should just avoid law school entirely.

This is entirely untrue. I have done plenty of research. I understand the hurdles. As I said before, I am perfectly fine staying here for a considerable portion of my life. Also, I said I am interested in international law, but that it may change once I am in law school. I have done plenty of research on the field of international law, regional schools, etc.

Please don't insult my intelligence.

vyelps

Postby vyelps » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:41 pm

OP, I don't think Cavalier intended to be insulting. A lot of 0Ls talk about "international law" without having any clue what that actually means. International law is incredibly broad and encompasses trade, finance, tax, etc. What are you actually interested in? Diplomacy? Maritime law? International Trade? Cross-border M&A? Please keep in mind that a lot of the action for "international law" is actually in DC and involves representing foreign companies in administrative settings. This usually involves compliance with regulations or statutes governing foreign entities. A lot of the transactional work that is international in nature can be done anywhere. The point is, you need legal experience first and international study programs often don't provide that. No employer will be impressed that you studied abroad if it was not coupled with legal work. If you want to end up working in Europe, try to get a gig with an organization in the EU for the summer and then apply to firms with European offices for OCI. After a few years of work in the US, you may be able to shift over. Whatever you do, realize that these study abroad opportunities add little value and exist to make money for the schools that sponsor them.

2009 Prospective

Postby 2009 Prospective » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:05 pm

Danteshek wrote:
UCLAtransfer wrote:
GoodToBeTheKing wrote:I may even bolster my resume by clerking my first year out of school (40% of students from my school end up clerking, and most are for federal court judges in 3rd district).

?

I guess OP is going to Yale, and not a 2nd tier school on the east coast.

Haha

GoodToBeTheKing

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:07 pm

vyelps wrote:OP, I don't think Cavalier intended to be insulting. A lot of 0Ls talk about "international law" without having any clue what that actually means. International law is incredibly broad and encompasses trade, finance, tax, etc. What are you actually interested in? Diplomacy? Maritime law? International Trade? Cross-border M&A? Please keep in mind that a lot of the action for "international law" is actually in DC and involves representing foreign companies in administrative settings. This usually involves compliance with regulations or statutes governing foreign entities. A lot of the transactional work that is international in nature can be done anywhere. The point is, you need legal experience first and international study programs often don't provide that. No employer will be impressed that you studied abroad if it was not coupled with legal work. If you want to end up working in Europe, try to get a gig with an organization in the EU for the summer and then apply to firms with European offices for OCI. After a few years of work in the US, you may be able to shift over. Whatever you do, realize that these study abroad opportunities add little value and exist to make money for the schools that sponsor them.

thank you for your response. I have spoken to a few law professors and they said that with an Econ background I would be suited to do considerably better in a field of private international law (if I do end up going that route. like i said before, I am not sure this is what I want to do.).

I think much of what everyone has said makes perfect sense. I should take the 1L summer doing an internship here so that I can gain experience for my future. I guess the vacation will have to wait until Brazil for the World Cup in 2014!!! hahaha

2009 Prospective

Postby 2009 Prospective » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:17 pm

GoodToBeTheKing wrote:
vyelps wrote:OP, I don't think Cavalier intended to be insulting. A lot of 0Ls talk about "international law" without having any clue what that actually means. International law is incredibly broad and encompasses trade, finance, tax, etc. What are you actually interested in? Diplomacy? Maritime law? International Trade? Cross-border M&A? Please keep in mind that a lot of the action for "international law" is actually in DC and involves representing foreign companies in administrative settings. This usually involves compliance with regulations or statutes governing foreign entities. A lot of the transactional work that is international in nature can be done anywhere. The point is, you need legal experience first and international study programs often don't provide that. No employer will be impressed that you studied abroad if it was not coupled with legal work. If you want to end up working in Europe, try to get a gig with an organization in the EU for the summer and then apply to firms with European offices for OCI. After a few years of work in the US, you may be able to shift over. Whatever you do, realize that these study abroad opportunities add little value and exist to make money for the schools that sponsor them.

thank you for your response. I have spoken to a few law professors and they said that with an Econ background I would be suited to do considerably better in a field of private international law (if I do end up going that route. like i said before, I am not sure this is what I want to do.).

I think much of what everyone has said makes perfect sense. I should take the 1L summer doing an internship here so that I can gain experience for my future. I guess the vacation will have to wait until Brazil for the World Cup in 2014!!! hahaha

While I would second making sure you work 1L summer, I know of people who were able to spend half the summer studying abroad and the other half with an internship back home. If you're dead set on wanting to study abroad 1L summer, take a look at the timeline of the programs to see if you can work something out. On the downside, splitting your summer might limit internship options. Also, I think you can sometimes get a couple more interesting assignments towards the end of your internship if you've managed to spend the whole summer developing attorneys' trust. As another alternative, try looking into whether your school has any Fall/Spring semester abroad programs. You might be able to do one of those over your 3L year without severely hindering your career prospects.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:31 am

The easy solution is to intern abroad.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:05 pm

worldtraveler wrote:The easy solution is to intern abroad.

And that's why we love you, WT! :D

Jay

Postby Jay » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:58 am

Well, I studied abroad this summer. I went to Europe and also interned there. I wanted to explore International Business Law and IP Law so I figured the best way to study EU law would be in Europe.

I had a wonderful time this summer, but it was also a lot of work. Unlike some posters, I do not have the luxury to take a European excursion during the winter holiday and I missed my opportunity to study abroad in undergrad. What I find so weird about this thread is that posters have not spoken to value of the classes or internship experiences you can gain abroad. Studying abroad was described as vacation and not a productive way to spend your summer. I have to differ on this one. I wonder how many posters are speaking from personal experience, b/c if the experience did not work out for them they should go into detail as to why so they can better inform the OP. But the entire experience should not be discounted b/c like was said before, the 1L summer is your last opportunity to study abroad if that is your goal. And whatever practical experience you gain will not be overlooked. Plus, doesn't it make sense to study an International Law course in its respective country which operates under that particular legal system? Since International Law is your goal, it ONLY makes sense that you have 1 abroad experience under your belt before you graduate..don't let some of these other posters tell you different.

If studying abroad is important to you but if you decide not to do it for summer, some law schools offer courses with an international component. For instance, my old school had a Spanish Constitutional law class and an EU law class that allowed students to travel to Europe or Spain for a week to study during their winter or spring breaks. Also, find study abroad programs with other law schools that also offers an internship<-- that's what I did.

So I would def encourage you to study abroad if you get the opportunity. And it is not impossible to gain some type of practical experience while there. Bottomline, doing SOMETHING whether it's taking classes or doing some volunteer legal work here in the US or abroad is much better and expected than doing some non-legal related stuff

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”