1L Summer, Study Abroad or Intern

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
GoodToBeTheKing
Posts: 296
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:34 pm

1L Summer, Study Abroad or Intern

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:42 am

I will be starting law school in about 2 weeks. I am going to a 2 tier school on the east coast but plan to go back to the west coast after school (assuming that I can find work over there). I am interested in international law, however that may change when I start school. Further, I did not study abroad when I was in undergrad, but I have always wanted to.

My question is two parts: First, should I study abroad my 1L summer or try and get an internship? I have heard from lawyer friends and others that your 1L internship is not that rewarding, and that it is best to study abroad if you never have. Second, if I do study abroad does it make a difference to go to Europe or Asia? That is, if I want to practice on the west coast should I study abroad in Asia, and vice versa with Europe and the east coast. Like I said before, I am not 100% sure that I will be able to make it back to the west coast after school, but would eventually like to. I am just trying to figure out if I should study abroad and learn Asian markets or European markets.

Any advice would be appreciative. Maybe someone has a similar experience, an experience studying abroad, or if their 1L internship was rewarding, regretful, or maybe they wish they had studied abroad.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: 1L Summer, Study Abroad or Intern

Postby sibley » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:47 am

I think a lot of it depends on what you'll be doing if you study abroad. Details? Will you have an internship?

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: 1L Summer, Study Abroad or Intern

Postby Danteshek » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:49 am

It will be harder to find work as a 2L if you didn't work as a 1L. I think you should work. Go somewhere for winter break.

lawschool2014
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:20 pm

Re: 1L Summer, Study Abroad or Intern

Postby lawschool2014 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:50 am

Your going to a 2nd tier law school with the intent to work back on the west coad? That won't happen. Please re-consider going to a2nd tier. It may be the worst decision of your life.

User avatar
GoodToBeTheKing
Posts: 296
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:34 pm

Re: 1L Summer, Study Abroad or Intern

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:53 am

Danteshek wrote:It will be harder to find work as a 2L if you didn't work as a 1L. I think you should work. Go somewhere for winter break.


Could you elaborate on this?

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: 1L Summer, Study Abroad or Intern

Postby Danteshek » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:54 am

lawschool2014 wrote:Your going to a 2nd tier law school with the intent to work back on the west coad? That won't happen. Please re-consider going to a2nd tier. It may be the worst decision of your life.


You are an idiot.
Last edited by Danteshek on Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: 1L Summer, Study Abroad or Intern

Postby Danteshek » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:55 am

GoodToBeTheKing wrote:
Danteshek wrote:It will be harder to find work as a 2L if you didn't work as a 1L. I think you should work. Go somewhere for winter break.


Could you elaborate on this?



When you go for interviews, it looks a lot better to have done some legal work during your first summer. If you study abroad some people will think that you goofed off and were lazy.

Why are you not going to law school on the west coast?

User avatar
GoodToBeTheKing
Posts: 296
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:34 pm

Re: 1L Summer, Study Abroad or Intern

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:57 am

sibley wrote:I think a lot of it depends on what you'll be doing if you study abroad. Details? Will you have an internship?



I might be able to lock down an internship after the study abroad program. A month and a half long internship, but it would be unpaid, as I assume most internships 1L are.

I am really interested in doing the summer abroad program at American Univ. http://www.wcl.american.edu/parisgeneva/

User avatar
GoodToBeTheKing
Posts: 296
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:34 pm

Re: 1L Summer, Study Abroad or Intern

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:59 am

Danteshek wrote:
GoodToBeTheKing wrote:
Danteshek wrote:It will be harder to find work as a 2L if you didn't work as a 1L. I think you should work. Go somewhere for winter break.


Could you elaborate on this?



When you go for interviews, it looks a lot better to have done some legal work during your first summer. If you study abroad some people will think that you goofed off and were lazy.

Why are you not going to law school on the west coast?



I got into some schools on the west coast, but in the end the school I am going to now offered me in-state tuition and is better than all the other schools that I got into on the west coast .... Southwestern included ... looks like you were able to transfer.

I am also happy with staying here for a couple of years to build up my resume before moving to the west coast. Staying here is not the end all to my life.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: 1L Summer, Study Abroad or Intern

Postby Danteshek » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:04 pm

If you want to work on the west coast (Los Angeles), Southwestern is better than say Brooklyn or Rutgers. I think you are making a mistake.

A good friend of mine from Fresno chose Brooklyn over Southwestern, and is now transferring back to the west coast.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: 1L Summer, Study Abroad or Intern

Postby sibley » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:06 pm

If you study abroad but also do a law related internship you're okay. But I agree with Danteshek. It's important to work 1L summer... even if people don't think you slacked off, you won't get the skills they want you to have if you don't work.

User avatar
GoodToBeTheKing
Posts: 296
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:34 pm

Re: 1L Summer, Study Abroad or Intern

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:12 pm

Danteshek wrote:If you want to work on the west coast (Los Angeles), Southwestern is better than say Brooklyn or Rutgers. I think you are making a mistake.

A good friend of mine from Fresno chose Brooklyn over Southwestern, and is now transferring back to the west coast.



I am not even sure I would want to practice in LA... I didn't get into any schools in the Bay Area, which is where I grew up and would maybe like to live. I know this is not what I should be going for, but maybe I can get good enough grades to transfer into a better school on the west coast... USD, Pepperdine, UC Davis or Hastings.

I may even bolster my resume by clerking my first year out of school (40% of students from my school end up clerking, and most are for federal court judges in 3rd district).


But this is not what I came to talk about. I am really trying to find out if interning or studying abroad is more worthwhile for my future IF I want to study private international law.

You do make a good point Danteshek that interning 1L shows strong on a resume. I will take that into consideration.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: 1L Summer, Study Abroad or Intern

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:14 pm

Intern.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
GoodToBeTheKing
Posts: 296
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:34 pm

Re: 1L Summer, Study Abroad or Intern

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:15 pm

sibley wrote:If you study abroad but also do a law related internship you're okay. But I agree with Danteshek. It's important to work 1L summer... even if people don't think you slacked off, you won't get the skills they want you to have if you don't work.


you make a good point too. However, and let me know if I am being misguided, I have heard from lawyers that your internship your first summer is not that rewarding because you don't really do much legal work. That being said, it seems like I wouldn't really be getting much of any skills anyways.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: 1L Summer, Study Abroad or Intern

Postby sibley » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:17 pm

GoodToBeTheKing wrote:
sibley wrote:If you study abroad but also do a law related internship you're okay. But I agree with Danteshek. It's important to work 1L summer... even if people don't think you slacked off, you won't get the skills they want you to have if you don't work.


you make a good point too. However, and let me know if I am being misguided, I have heard from lawyers that your internship your first summer is not that rewarding because you don't really do much legal work. That being said, it seems like I wouldn't really be getting much of any skills anyways.


The point isn't how rewarding 1L work is. The point is building your resume and creating connections so you can find a job your 2L summer. You're limited in what you can do your 1L summer. I'm unsure of this, but I think 2L summer you're legally allowed to assist in cases under the supervision of an attorney whereas 1L year you're not.

User avatar
soaponarope
Posts: 169
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:02 pm

Re: 1L Summer, Study Abroad or Intern

Postby soaponarope » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:42 pm

A friend of mine studied abroad.... said there was no curve, and the classes were much eaiser.

So, on one hand... traveling abroad can boost your GPA, however, you're going to sacrafice work experiance. Then again, he was in Spain, traveled to Amstradam, saw bull fights, and pretty much had an amazing time. Tough choice, IMO.

vyelps
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:15 pm

Re: 1L Summer, Study Abroad or Intern

Postby vyelps » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:10 pm

Not working is an incredibly bad idea. These sorts of study abroad trips are not a great experience. I've had friends do them and they have unanimously regretted it. If you want to experience practicing law in a foreign country, work for an NGO or international org. in the EU or Asia. You can try to get internships through your law school's alumni network at various legal entities such as the WTO, WIPO, UN, etc. Don't just go and take classes- these classes add no value to your legal education. You have 4 semesters after 1L year to take electives geared to learning the material. You need to try to get 10-12 weeks of work experience if at all possible. Potential employers are not going to be impressed that you spent tons of money on a travel abroad experience.

User avatar
IzziesGal
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: 1L Summer, Study Abroad or Intern

Postby IzziesGal » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:10 pm

Jumping on the "no studying abroad" bandwagon. It's pretty crucial to have a 1L summer legal job. Employers want to see that you did something - ANYTHING - legal during that time. Like someone else said, go on a trip over winter break, or save up now and treat yourself to a blowout vacation after you pass the bar. 1L summer is a time to get practical experience. You need to be able to bring something to the table for the 2L recruiting season.

User avatar
GoodToBeTheKing
Posts: 296
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:34 pm

Re: 1L Summer, Study Abroad or Intern

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:56 pm

great advice everyone. i appreciate it a lot! If anyone still would like to add their own experience studying abroad or more on my question feel free to help!

UCLAtransfer
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: 1L Summer, Study Abroad or Intern

Postby UCLAtransfer » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:15 pm

GoodToBeTheKing wrote:I may even bolster my resume by clerking my first year out of school (40% of students from my school end up clerking, and most are for federal court judges in 3rd district).



?

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: 1L Summer, Study Abroad or Intern

Postby Danteshek » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:33 pm

UCLAtransfer wrote:
GoodToBeTheKing wrote:I may even bolster my resume by clerking my first year out of school (40% of students from my school end up clerking, and most are for federal court judges in 3rd district).



?


I guess OP is going to Yale, and not a 2nd tier school on the east coast.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: 1L Summer, Study Abroad or Intern

Postby Cavalier » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:26 pm

GoodToBeTheKing wrote:I will be starting law school in about 2 weeks. I am going to a 2 tier school on the east coast but plan to go back to the west coast after school (assuming that I can find work over there). I am interested in international law, however that may change when I start school. Further, I did not study abroad when I was in undergrad, but I have always wanted to.

Don't go to law school. You'll thank me in three years.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: 1L Summer, Study Abroad or Intern

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:28 pm

GoodToBeTheKing wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
GoodToBeTheKing wrote:
Danteshek wrote:It will be harder to find work as a 2L if you didn't work as a 1L. I think you should work. Go somewhere for winter break.


Could you elaborate on this?



When you go for interviews, it looks a lot better to have done some legal work during your first summer. If you study abroad some people will think that you goofed off and were lazy.

Why are you not going to law school on the west coast?



I got into some schools on the west coast, but in the end the school I am going to now offered me in-state tuition and is better than all the other schools that I got into on the west coast .... Southwestern included ... looks like you were able to transfer.

I am also happy with staying here for a couple of years to build up my resume before moving to the west coast. Staying here is not the end all to my life.


Outside of the T14, rankings matter little. Schools outside of that are regional...meaning you will be working in surrounding area of your school for a long time to come. Think about it and then decide if you want to go there.

lawschool2014
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:20 pm

Re: 1L Summer, Study Abroad or Intern

Postby lawschool2014 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:29 pm

Danteshek wrote:
lawschool2014 wrote:Your going to a 2nd tier law school with the intent to work back on the west coad? That won't happen. Please re-consider going to a2nd tier. It may be the worst decision of your life.


You are an idiot.


No I am not. What I am saying is true Danteshek or future Loyola grad...

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: 1L Summer, Study Abroad or Intern

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:30 pm

lawschool2014 wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
lawschool2014 wrote:Your going to a 2nd tier law school with the intent to work back on the west coad? That won't happen. Please re-consider going to a2nd tier. It may be the worst decision of your life.


You are an idiot.


No I am not. What I am saying is true Danteshek or future Loyola grad...


Maybe he is talking about your spelling/grammar.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests