Is not having textbooks before the start of class bad? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
JustBelieve

New

Is not having textbooks before the start of class bad?

Post by JustBelieve » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:32 am

I start law school as a 1L in a week. I was not able to pre-order my textbooks until I recieved my class section numbers which only came out today. After checking on various bookstore websites (half.com/ chegg.com/ Amazon.com, etc.) all of my textbooks are too expensive as almost all of them are the newest editions and the ones that aren't are still close to $200 each (and I still have to buy the supplements).

Any type of refund from financial aid won't come until after ADD/DROP (after a week or more of classes).

Do law school libraries usually carry the textbooks? Is it bad that I wont have my textbooks until after classes start?

StudentAthlete

New

Re: Is not having textbooks before the start of class bad?

Post by StudentAthlete » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:51 am

Lawbooksforless.com

expensive or not, you need those books before the start of 1L because assignments will shortly be posted and once you walk in there, hello socratic.

Black-Blue

Bronze

Post by Black-Blue » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:54 am

Find out what cases you're reading and just look them up on Lexis/Westlaw.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:54 am

naw dawg, you don't even really have to do the reading for law school. they cover all that shit in lecture lol!! just relax : )

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:55 am

disco_barred wrote:naw dawg, you don't even really have to do the reading for law school. they cover all that shit in lecture lol!! just relax : )
Exactly.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:03 am

disco_barred wrote:naw dawg, you don't even really have to do the reading for law school. they cover all that shit in lecture lol!! just relax : )
TITCR.

All those guys saying you should read before class are just trying to get in your head, duder. Also, you know that "Bluebook" they told you to buy? Don't waste your money, you will never use it.

Also, leave your laptop and notepad at home. The professors are all going to give you an outline at the end of the semester, so taking notes would just be distracting. Just bring your iPod and some speakers so that you can play appropriate songs during the discusion of cases (e.g, Burnin' Down the House for an arson case). The professor will be so impressed with your whit that you shouldn't even have to take the exam.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:05 am

I think the posters mean for you to do the opposite of what they say...

zanda

Silver

Post by zanda » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:06 am

Bosque wrote:
TITCR.

All those guys saying you should read before class are just trying to get in your head, duder. Also, you know that "Bluebook" they told you to buy? Don't waste your money, you will never use it.

Also, leave your laptop and notepad at home. The professors are all going to give you an outline at the end of the semester, so taking notes would just be distracting. Just bring your iPod and some speakers so that you can play appropriate songs during the discusion of cases (e.g, Burnin' Down the House for an arson case). The professor will be so impressed with your whit that you shouldn't even have to take the exam.
Why, this advice is terrible! :D

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:06 am

sibley wrote:I think the posters mean for you to do the opposite of what they say...
Thank god we have you around to set people straight.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:10 am

sibley wrote:I think the posters mean for you to do the opposite of what they say...
I think it was kind of obvious with the "naw dawg" at the beginning of that post. But thanks for clarifying, sibley. :roll:

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:15 am

Yes, it's bad. You cannot afford to get behind and certainly not this early.

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:22 am

You're spending how much on law school??? And you don't want to pony up for books???? FOR BOOKS???????

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:24 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
Thank god we have you around to set people straight.
chicagolaw2013 wrote: I think it was kind of obvious with the "naw dawg" at the beginning of that post. But thanks for clarifying, sibley. :roll:
Someone wants to start law school without textbooks. Someone lacks common sense.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:25 am

Yeah, seriously dude, go beg someone for money if you have to. At least get the textbooks. If you want to wait to get supplements until after you get your loan money, then that's probably okay. But textbooks? Seriously? Are you fucking nuts?

And sibley, you do make a point there. I rescind my statement. :lol:

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:31 am

chicagolaw2013 wrote:Yeah, seriously dude, go beg someone for money if you have to. At least get the textbooks. If you want to wait to get supplements until after you get your loan money, then that's probably okay. But textbooks? Seriously? Are you fucking nuts?

I appreciate that.

Use your credit card to pay for textbooks. If you don't have one at this point you should definitely be getting one anyway. Pay off in full when your school loans come in. I'd also suggest typing in the books' ISBNs at bookfinder.com. They search all the bookstore sites.

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:33 am

sibley wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote:Yeah, seriously dude, go beg someone for money if you have to. At least get the textbooks. If you want to wait to get supplements until after you get your loan money, then that's probably okay. But textbooks? Seriously? Are you fucking nuts?

I appreciate that.

Use your credit card to pay for textbooks. If you don't have one at this point you should definitely be getting one anyway. Pay off in full when your school loans come in.
Try to find one that has a sweet "if you spend $500 in a month I'll give you a __________" deal. I got a free iPod shuffle like that in college.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:37 am

Kobe_Teeth wrote:
sibley wrote: Use your credit card to pay for textbooks. If you don't have one at this point you should definitely be getting one anyway. Pay off in full when your school loans come in.
Try to find one that has a sweet "if you spend $500 in a month I'll give you a __________" deal. I got a free iPod shuffle like that in college.
I recommend the Chase Freedom card. I got a free photo printer, a $50 gap gift card, and a couple hundred dollars back on purchases... all since summer 2008. I only kept a balance on it one month but it seemed to really help my credit to do that... gonna do it again next month. Because I also won't have any money when I need it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:40 am

I'll be using my fiance's commission check to buy books. Yay for having a supportive man. He knows he's getting that back when my loans come in though hahaha so I guess he's not being all that benevolent.

Duralex

Bronze

Post by Duralex » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:16 pm

FWIW, I bought my half of my casebooks from used sellers on Amazon--class schedules came late, and some may not get here until the end of the first week.

As mentioned, you can get by for a few days printing the cases you need (or so I've been told by my law student and lawyer friends) but don't push it.

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:57 am

All I know is that I will spend whatever necessary to get my casebooks.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:53 am

A lot of schools will float you a small loan for issues such as this before financial aid disperses. Talk to your financial aid office.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:01 am

blowhard wrote:A lot of schools will float you a small loan for issues such as this before financial aid disperses. Talk to your financial aid office.
For real, spend money you don't have on casebooks because you don't want to look like the a-hole. I may be drunk so that may be the case LOL.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:05 am

chicagolaw2013 wrote:
blowhard wrote:A lot of schools will float you a small loan for issues such as this before financial aid disperses. Talk to your financial aid office.
For real, spend money you don't have on casebooks because you don't want to look like the a-hole. I may be drunk so that may be the case LOL.
I can't tell if you are being sarcastic towards me or the OP.

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:30 am

blowhard wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote:
I can't tell if you are being sarcastic towards me or the OP.
Sarcastic toward OP. Blowhard, you know I heart you LOL.

clwilson6

Bronze

Post by clwilson6 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:39 am

I don't know if I'm a freaking idget or what, but I was told at my school that I could charge my books to my student account from the school book store whether loans have been issued or not. Is that not the way it is for most schools?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”