Is not having textbooks before the start of class bad?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
JustBelieve
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:08 pm

Is not having textbooks before the start of class bad?

Postby JustBelieve » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:32 am

I start law school as a 1L in a week. I was not able to pre-order my textbooks until I recieved my class section numbers which only came out today. After checking on various bookstore websites (half.com/ chegg.com/ Amazon.com, etc.) all of my textbooks are too expensive as almost all of them are the newest editions and the ones that aren't are still close to $200 each (and I still have to buy the supplements).

Any type of refund from financial aid won't come until after ADD/DROP (after a week or more of classes).

Do law school libraries usually carry the textbooks? Is it bad that I wont have my textbooks until after classes start?

StudentAthlete
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:48 am

Re: Is not having textbooks before the start of class bad?

Postby StudentAthlete » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:51 am

Lawbooksforless.com

expensive or not, you need those books before the start of 1L because assignments will shortly be posted and once you walk in there, hello socratic.

Black-Blue
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: Is not having textbooks before the start of class bad?

Postby Black-Blue » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:54 am

Find out what cases you're reading and just look them up on Lexis/Westlaw.

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Is not having textbooks before the start of class bad?

Postby 270910 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:54 am

naw dawg, you don't even really have to do the reading for law school. they cover all that shit in lecture lol!! just relax : )

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: Is not having textbooks before the start of class bad?

Postby blurbz » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:55 am

disco_barred wrote:naw dawg, you don't even really have to do the reading for law school. they cover all that shit in lecture lol!! just relax : )


Exactly.

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Is not having textbooks before the start of class bad?

Postby Bosque » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:03 am

disco_barred wrote:naw dawg, you don't even really have to do the reading for law school. they cover all that shit in lecture lol!! just relax : )


TITCR.

All those guys saying you should read before class are just trying to get in your head, duder. Also, you know that "Bluebook" they told you to buy? Don't waste your money, you will never use it.

Also, leave your laptop and notepad at home. The professors are all going to give you an outline at the end of the semester, so taking notes would just be distracting. Just bring your iPod and some speakers so that you can play appropriate songs during the discusion of cases (e.g, Burnin' Down the House for an arson case). The professor will be so impressed with your whit that you shouldn't even have to take the exam.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Is not having textbooks before the start of class bad?

Postby sibley » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:05 am

I think the posters mean for you to do the opposite of what they say...

User avatar
zanda
Posts: 526
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:36 am

Re: Is not having textbooks before the start of class bad?

Postby zanda » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:06 am

Bosque wrote:
disco_barred wrote:naw dawg, you don't even really have to do the reading for law school. they cover all that shit in lecture lol!! just relax : )


TITCR.

All those guys saying you should read before class are just trying to get in your head, duder. Also, you know that "Bluebook" they told you to buy? Don't waste your money, you will never use it.

Also, leave your laptop and notepad at home. The professors are all going to give you an outline at the end of the semester, so taking notes would just be distracting. Just bring your iPod and some speakers so that you can play appropriate songs during the discusion of cases (e.g, Burnin' Down the House for an arson case). The professor will be so impressed with your whit that you shouldn't even have to take the exam.

Why, this advice is terrible! :D

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Is not having textbooks before the start of class bad?

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:06 am

sibley wrote:I think the posters mean for you to do the opposite of what they say...

Thank god we have you around to set people straight.

User avatar
chicagolaw2013
Posts: 584
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:16 pm

Re: Is not having textbooks before the start of class bad?

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:10 am

sibley wrote:I think the posters mean for you to do the opposite of what they say...


I think it was kind of obvious with the "naw dawg" at the beginning of that post. But thanks for clarifying, sibley. :roll:

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Is not having textbooks before the start of class bad?

Postby Bankhead » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:15 am

Yes, it's bad. You cannot afford to get behind and certainly not this early.

Kobe_Teeth
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 am

Re: Is not having textbooks before the start of class bad?

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:22 am

You're spending how much on law school??? And you don't want to pony up for books???? FOR BOOKS???????

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Is not having textbooks before the start of class bad?

Postby sibley » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:24 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
sibley wrote:I think the posters mean for you to do the opposite of what they say...

Thank god we have you around to set people straight.

chicagolaw2013 wrote:I think it was kind of obvious with the "naw dawg" at the beginning of that post. But thanks for clarifying, sibley. :roll:


Someone wants to start law school without textbooks. Someone lacks common sense.

User avatar
chicagolaw2013
Posts: 584
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:16 pm

Re: Is not having textbooks before the start of class bad?

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:25 am

Yeah, seriously dude, go beg someone for money if you have to. At least get the textbooks. If you want to wait to get supplements until after you get your loan money, then that's probably okay. But textbooks? Seriously? Are you fucking nuts?

And sibley, you do make a point there. I rescind my statement. :lol:

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Is not having textbooks before the start of class bad?

Postby sibley » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:31 am

chicagolaw2013 wrote:Yeah, seriously dude, go beg someone for money if you have to. At least get the textbooks. If you want to wait to get supplements until after you get your loan money, then that's probably okay. But textbooks? Seriously? Are you fucking nuts?

And sibley, you do make a point there. I rescind my statement. :lol:


I appreciate that.

Use your credit card to pay for textbooks. If you don't have one at this point you should definitely be getting one anyway. Pay off in full when your school loans come in. I'd also suggest typing in the books' ISBNs at bookfinder.com. They search all the bookstore sites.

Kobe_Teeth
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 am

Re: Is not having textbooks before the start of class bad?

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:33 am

sibley wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote:Yeah, seriously dude, go beg someone for money if you have to. At least get the textbooks. If you want to wait to get supplements until after you get your loan money, then that's probably okay. But textbooks? Seriously? Are you fucking nuts?

And sibley, you do make a point there. I rescind my statement. :lol:


I appreciate that.

Use your credit card to pay for textbooks. If you don't have one at this point you should definitely be getting one anyway. Pay off in full when your school loans come in.


Try to find one that has a sweet "if you spend $500 in a month I'll give you a __________" deal. I got a free iPod shuffle like that in college.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: Is not having textbooks before the start of class bad?

Postby sibley » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:37 am

Kobe_Teeth wrote:
sibley wrote:Use your credit card to pay for textbooks. If you don't have one at this point you should definitely be getting one anyway. Pay off in full when your school loans come in.


Try to find one that has a sweet "if you spend $500 in a month I'll give you a __________" deal. I got a free iPod shuffle like that in college.


I recommend the Chase Freedom card. I got a free photo printer, a $50 gap gift card, and a couple hundred dollars back on purchases... all since summer 2008. I only kept a balance on it one month but it seemed to really help my credit to do that... gonna do it again next month. Because I also won't have any money when I need it.

User avatar
chicagolaw2013
Posts: 584
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:16 pm

Re: Is not having textbooks before the start of class bad?

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:40 am

I'll be using my fiance's commission check to buy books. Yay for having a supportive man. He knows he's getting that back when my loans come in though hahaha so I guess he's not being all that benevolent.

User avatar
Duralex
Posts: 447
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:25 pm

Re: Is not having textbooks before the start of class bad?

Postby Duralex » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:16 pm

FWIW, I bought my half of my casebooks from used sellers on Amazon--class schedules came late, and some may not get here until the end of the first week.

As mentioned, you can get by for a few days printing the cases you need (or so I've been told by my law student and lawyer friends) but don't push it.

User avatar
chicagolaw2013
Posts: 584
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:16 pm

Re: Is not having textbooks before the start of class bad?

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:57 am

All I know is that I will spend whatever necessary to get my casebooks.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Is not having textbooks before the start of class bad?

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:53 am

A lot of schools will float you a small loan for issues such as this before financial aid disperses. Talk to your financial aid office.

User avatar
chicagolaw2013
Posts: 584
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:16 pm

Re: Is not having textbooks before the start of class bad?

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:01 am

blowhard wrote:A lot of schools will float you a small loan for issues such as this before financial aid disperses. Talk to your financial aid office.


For real, spend money you don't have on casebooks because you don't want to look like the a-hole. I may be drunk so that may be the case LOL.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Is not having textbooks before the start of class bad?

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:05 am

chicagolaw2013 wrote:
blowhard wrote:A lot of schools will float you a small loan for issues such as this before financial aid disperses. Talk to your financial aid office.


For real, spend money you don't have on casebooks because you don't want to look like the a-hole. I may be drunk so that may be the case LOL.


I can't tell if you are being sarcastic towards me or the OP.

User avatar
chicagolaw2013
Posts: 584
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:16 pm

Re: Is not having textbooks before the start of class bad?

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:30 am

blowhard wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote:
blowhard wrote:A lot of schools will float you a small loan for issues such as this before financial aid disperses. Talk to your financial aid office.


For real, spend money you don't have on casebooks because you don't want to look like the a-hole. I may be drunk so that may be the case LOL.


I can't tell if you are being sarcastic towards me or the OP.


Sarcastic toward OP. Blowhard, you know I heart you LOL.

clwilson6
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:31 pm

Re: Is not having textbooks before the start of class bad?

Postby clwilson6 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:39 am

I don't know if I'm a freaking idget or what, but I was told at my school that I could charge my books to my student account from the school book store whether loans have been issued or not. Is that not the way it is for most schools?




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: burritoface and 11 guests