Parking in Ann Arbor Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
kevinnutla

New

Parking in Ann Arbor

Post by kevinnutla » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:55 am

The consensus seems to be that parking there is hell, but there seems to be a bunch of different options. I've seen parking spots in paved lots for 30-50, heard of Ann Arbor street parking as well as Michigan grad parking.

Just wondering what the best thing is if I have to have a car.

Thanks.

D-ROCCA

Bronze

Re: Parking in Ann Arbor

Post by D-ROCCA » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:59 am

Parking on the street sucks, and I think I heard that Grad parking is kind of far away from the law quad. Are you close enough to take one of the buses?

Fresh

Silver

Post by Fresh » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:09 am

kevinnutla wrote:The consensus seems to be that parking there is hell, but there seems to be a bunch of different options. I've seen parking spots in paved lots for 30-50, heard of Ann Arbor street parking as well as Michigan grad parking.

Just wondering what the best thing is if I have to have a car.

Thanks.
So a lot of undergrads live within a 2-3 minute walk from the law school. This might sound odd but it isn't - you can go around dropping fliers in mailboxes at houses with parking spots saying you're trying to buy a spot for the fall. You can get one from $50-100 a month. If not you have to get a student decal and park far from the law school most likely, but the walk won't be more than 15 minutes in most cases

miazdc

New

Post by miazdc » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:16 am

How far from the law school will you be living? Trying to find street parking every day is going to be a huge headache, if not nearly impossible. I'd say a better option is to look for people who are trying to sell a parking spot (there are lots of houses/apartments nearbye where people might have an extra spot). I'd look through craigslist, facebook marketplace, etc. It'll probably be fairly expensive. Taking a bus might also be an option- there are UofM campus buses (that just go from north/central/south campus in a loop) and also city of ann arbor buses, that go to the whole surrounding area. I live in Ann Arbor now, feel free to let me know if you have any other questions.

J-tow10

Bronze

Post by J-tow10 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:27 am

Former Michigan undergrad here...PM me if you want, OP

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kevinnutla

New

Post by kevinnutla » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:42 am

Thanks for the advice. Just to clarify, I'll be leaving close enough to walk to the class, etc. I just need a place to park my car and then have access to it to drive home, to the grocery, random shit like that. As far as day to day goes, I won't really need access to it.

holborn

Bronze

Post by holborn » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:46 am

also umich undergrad. in that case i would just suck it up and try to find street parking when you do use it. a lot of my friends were in that situation during undergrad and would just use free (aka around the residential areas) street parking. its one thing to drive around for 10 min to find parking once every month or two, another to do it everyday for class.

Fresh

Silver

Post by Fresh » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:48 am

holborn wrote:also umich undergrad. in that case i would just suck it up and try to find street parking when you do use it. a lot of my friends were in that situation during undergrad and would just use free (aka around the residential areas) street parking. its one thing to drive around for 10 min to find parking once every month or two, another to do it everyday for class.
TITCR
There is tons of residential street parking, so if you are going to use your car but once or twice a week even, then the cheapest bet would be to find street parking. You may have to walk 5 minutes.. even 10 on a horrible day.. to your car, but it's really worth saving the hundreds of dollars IMO

kevinnutla

New

Post by kevinnutla » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:09 pm

Nice. Good to hear. Since I am not going to be able to get up there until I move in, are there any restrictions for the residential parking (i.e. do I need a sticker, is there a time limit on how long you can park in one spot, are there certain hours on certain days that they need to be moved - especially during snow season)

Sorry for asking so many questions - just trying to get this ironed out before I get up there. I appreciate the help.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:14 pm

Ann Arbor is a fabulous town (went there for UG, hence the 'tar), but the cops/meter maids SUCK. They will stand by your car and wait for a meter to roll to zero to ticket you. But that's more in the downtown areas.

In the residential areas, there are no parking stickers or anything, but it definitely is a bitch to park, and there are parking restrictions during certain times of the year (I seem to remember something to do with leaf cleanup on certain days each week during the fall). If you can get a dedicated place to park, go for it. Just be prepared to circle blocks if you plan on street parking.

EDIT: And the law quad is pretty much on the UG campus. Living close to the law quad still means you are living among the masses...the law quad is across the street from about 5 frats, last I checked. Parking is actually the worst over there.

LAWYER2

Silver

Post by LAWYER2 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:04 pm

There was a building under major construction right up the street from Blimpy Burger that I would sneak into and park. I'm sure that has been sealed up by now, but you CAN find parking on U of M campus if you have the patience to look for it

Duchovnysfan

New

Post by Duchovnysfan » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:46 am

If you are about 10-15 mins walking distance from the Law school then definitely seek out residential parking. Pretty much around the law school (especially along Tappan St), State St., S. University, Hill St. are all metered parking until 6pm (except Sundays) usually it's about a 2 hr limit except for parking right along the entrance to the Law Library on Tappan that's 4 hours. Although just keep in mind when you do plan to leave to do personal things, be prepared to look for another residential parking spot, it may take you while to find, I rather do that than feed the meter or drop so much money for a student permit.

Good luck! If you do have any more Qs let me know, I live in Ann Arbor as well and have a pretty good bearing on the area.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”