Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7638
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby beach_terror » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:07 am

Aw, I'm sorry, did I hurt your feelings? You were comparing computers to hookers, it was inevitable someone would poke fun at you for it.

I'll be sure to let you know in 3 years how things shake out for me!

User avatar
leobowski
Posts: 511
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:11 am

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby leobowski » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:12 am

Villabrova

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8613
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby ResolutePear » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:18 am

leobowski wrote:
stinger35 wrote:TL;DR as well

HOWEVER

I would venture that this is almost a universal fact: Anyone who recommends buying a PC over a Mac, has NEVER owned a mac


I usually go nice on people that are ignorant.. but you're just an asshole.

What the fuck am I reading?! How can you in any way, shape, or form universally recommend an expensive relabeled/reOS'd PC that only 10% of CONSUMERS; 1% of businesses own? Woohoo, look at me I'm freaking trolling on Macs with hard numbers!

Let's name some software that Macs don't have:
Access
OneNote
AutoCAD
Visual Studio
Outlook(Don't give me that Entourage bullshit.)
A decent implementation of Blackberry Contact Sync.

How about games:
Well, you have Snood and Steam/Blizzard.. and because they're forced it run in OpenGL mode, they're half baked on the graphics/speed. Congrats on that front.

How the fuck is that universal? That excludes gamers, people who need MS Exchange, PC programmers(And yes, you can program on Windows for a Mac as the target.), most people who own a Blackberry, IF YOU OWN/RUN A BUSINESS... I need an answer here please. Who's left? And is it enough to be considered universal? What is this "universal" you talk about? Can you give me some numbers the represent it?

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7638
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby beach_terror » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:21 am

Between this thread and the other laptop thread, I like your style pear.

stinger35
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby stinger35 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:22 am

beach_terror wrote:Aw, I'm sorry, did I hurt your feelings? You were comparing computers to hookers, it was inevitable someone would poke fun at you for it.


And you are comparing buying a respectable computer to sending money to a fabricated foreign prince. Still no reason to call someone a moron. As for hurting my feelings - you clearly know more about computers than anyone with a social life would, probably got below a 160 on the LSAT, yet decided to go to a T2 school with no scholarship, even knowing exactly what ITE is - believe me, you couldn't hurt my feelings.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby romothesavior » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:22 am

Y'all just got PEAR PWND.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8613
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby ResolutePear » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:23 am

stinger35 wrote:
General Tso wrote:
stinger35 wrote:
General Tso wrote:
unnecessary, unfunny, untrue


And his post was...? necessary, funny, and true?


No...none of those. I am criticizing you for disparaging his law school.


Since when is it acceptable to disparage a person but not a law school?

Look, if you went and looked at 99% of my posts, they are respectful, and usually dealing with normal law school questions. But when people are just expressing opinions (basically everyone on here has sworn one way or the other) and then you have some dude just calling me a moron, I'm going to retaliate. Considering I know absolutely nothing about this kid but can easily see what law school he will go to and what I will, it was an easy response.


It's a universal fact? That's an opinion? Sounds like you're stating a fact. Back it up.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7638
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby beach_terror » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:25 am

Incorrect, I was comparing your obvious technological illiteracy to your probable willingness to help said princes. They fooled a lot of people, no need to feel bad about trying. It was really just the humanitarian in you trying to do good.

As to the rest, it's really of no concern to you Nancy Drew. But keep getting mad bro.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8613
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby ResolutePear » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:30 am

stinger35 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Aw, I'm sorry, did I hurt your feelings? You were comparing computers to hookers, it was inevitable someone would poke fun at you for it.


And you are comparing buying a respectable computer to sending money to a fabricated foreign prince. Still no reason to call someone a moron. As for hurting my feelings - you clearly know more about computers than anyone with a social life would, probably got below a 160 on the LSAT, yet decided to go to a T2 school with no scholarship, even knowing exactly what ITE is - believe me, you couldn't hurt my feelings.


Clearly, some of us work in the industry and have passion for it.

Although you think "computer nerds" are mouth breathing, acne ridden, virgins.. one of the biggest nerds (Bill Gates) is rallying billionaires together to give up half of their fortunes to the tune of 600 billion for charity. What charity you say? To give assholes like you a scholarship and/or grant. Asshole.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby romothesavior » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:32 am

This is why I love TLS. A harmless, helpful thread about computers turns into a pissing contest over which law school's dick is bigger. Priceless.

And Pear is a mouth-breathing socially inept loser. Take it from me... it takes one to know one.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8613
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby ResolutePear » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:33 am

romothesavior wrote:This is why I love TLS. A harmless, helpful thread about computers turns into a pissing contest over which law school's dick is bigger. Priceless.

And Pear is a mouth-breathing socially inept loser. Take it from me... it takes one to know one.


Woohoo! High-five!

User avatar
leobowski
Posts: 511
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:11 am

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby leobowski » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:34 am

chillanova

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7638
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby beach_terror » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:34 am

romothesavior wrote:This is why I love TLS. A harmless, helpful thread about computers turns into a pissing contest over which law school's dick is bigger. Priceless.

And Pear is a mouth-breathing socially inept loser. Take it from me... it takes one to know one.


Hey now, stinger35, aka the Nigerian philanthropist, is the only one bringing up law schools. His comebacks are pretty humorous, especially so because he's getting all riled up on an internet forum about laptop computers with a bunch of "nerds" posting in it. Oof

User avatar
leobowski
Posts: 511
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:11 am

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby leobowski » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:36 am

villabrobra

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8613
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby ResolutePear » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:36 am

beach_terror wrote:
romothesavior wrote:This is why I love TLS. A harmless, helpful thread about computers turns into a pissing contest over which law school's dick is bigger. Priceless.

And Pear is a mouth-breathing socially inept loser. Take it from me... it takes one to know one.


Hey now, stinger35, aka the Nigerian philanthropist, is the only one bringing up law schools. His comebacks are pretty humorous, especially so because he's getting all riled up on an internet forum about laptop computers with a bunch of "nerds" posting in it. Oof


I'm still hoping he has something witty and factual to say in response outside the realm of law, which I have little to no tangible experience in.

stinger35
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby stinger35 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:37 am

ResolutePear wrote:
leobowski wrote:
stinger35 wrote:TL;DR as well

HOWEVER

I would venture that this is almost a universal fact: Anyone who recommends buying a PC over a Mac, has NEVER owned a mac


I usually go nice on people that are ignorant.. but you're just an asshole.

What the fuck am I reading?! How can you in any way, shape, or form universally recommend an expensive relabeled/reOS'd PC that only 10% of CONSUMERS; 1% of businesses own? Woohoo, look at me I'm freaking trolling on Macs with hard numbers!

Let's name some software that Macs don't have:
Access
OneNote
AutoCAD
Visual Studio
Outlook(Don't give me that Entourage bullshit.)
A decent implementation of Blackberry Contact Sync.

How about games:
Well, you have Snood and Steam/Blizzard.. and because they're forced it run in OpenGL mode, they're half baked on the graphics/speed. Congrats on that front.

How the fuck is that universal? That excludes gamers, people who need MS Exchange, PC programmers(And yes, you can program on Windows for a Mac as the target.), most people who own a Blackberry, IF YOU OWN/RUN A BUSINESS... I need an answer here please. Who's left? And is it enough to be considered universal? What is this "universal" you talk about? Can you give me some numbers the represent it?


Since this is the first thread I have gotten in that doesnt exclusively involve law school, I am amazed at how bad people are flipping out. Obviously, I shouldn't have been so universal. 1) As you can see, in the quoted material, I didn't read the thread, just put in my two cents. 2) How does that make me an ASSHOLE? I mean jesus christ dude. If we were at a bar and I said my macs comment and you flipped out like this...who would be an asshole? But because this is an internet forum, you tech dudes are just tough as shit.

Now, as I've stated, I really don't know shit about computers, don't care, and never will. However, I will address some of your points:

First of all, THE TITLE OF THE THREAD IS: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school. Going off on all these other things is irrelevant to the original question and therefore irrelevant to my post.

Still:
As for who owns them, what does that matter? Thats such an irrelevant statistic. More people own Chevy Cavaliers than Ferrari's, yes one is way more expensive, but does that mean the Cavalier should be recommended? Even if it was two more similarly priced cars, the fact that more people own them really doesn't matter.

Access - okay?
OneNote - In law school, I used Word. If you need more to take law notes, you are probably doing something wrong. Besides, can't you get this for Mac?
AutoCAD - I literally have no idea what this is. While that may make me a "moron," I am guessing that you don't need it for law school, or life in general.
Visual Studio - see AutoCAD
Outlook(Don't give me that Entourage bullshit.) - Who cares? If you need it for an SA position or something, fine, get a job that gives you a laptop or a job that pays you well enough to get a work computer.
A decent implementation of Blackberry Contact Sync. - you'll love this, I am sure: get an iPhone. Having done so in the last month, it makes me want to use my old blackberry as a golf ball.

As for the games, dude, are you serious? Computer games? I literally have no idea what you are talking about, but come on. I hope that the future lawyers of this country aren't sitting around worried about playing computer games. I am guessing this is some kind of world of warcraft or farmville shit. If you really want to waste your time pretending to have friends doing that shit, by all means, go for the PC.

Sorry for making my comment though. I really didn't think it would be so unbelievably offensive.

stinger35
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby stinger35 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:37 am

ResolutePear wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
romothesavior wrote:This is why I love TLS. A harmless, helpful thread about computers turns into a pissing contest over which law school's dick is bigger. Priceless.

And Pear is a mouth-breathing socially inept loser. Take it from me... it takes one to know one.


Hey now, stinger35, aka the Nigerian philanthropist, is the only one bringing up law schools. His comebacks are pretty humorous, especially so because he's getting all riled up on an internet forum about laptop computers with a bunch of "nerds" posting in it. Oof


I'm still hoping he has something witty and factual to say in response outside the realm of law, which I have little to no tangible experience in.


Sorry. Nothing whitty or factual.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7638
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby beach_terror » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:51 am

Your perception of "tech nerds" is pretty funny. I'm 6'4 210 and I was a college athlete. I do not have any acne either, phew! PM me and we can exchange facebooks, broski! Maybe then your personal attacks will have some backing, although I seriously doubt you'll have anything to say after, hombre.

And the real Ferrari of computers would be Falcon-NW probably, definitely not Mac.

PS. You flipped out because I called you a moron, for... well, being a moron. You then dug up my posts and made fun of my law school/tech background/job prospects. Which is hilarious, because you know nothing of my goals or plans for the future. You're just trying to act tough on the internet, something you called me out for doing.

xoxo <3

User avatar
publiuspublicola
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:27 pm

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby publiuspublicola » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:52 am

MacBook v Thinkpad Threads FTW.

1) We are on an internet forum (yes, an internet forum) devoted to people competing to see how good a law school they can get into and how high they can score on a standardized exam to accomplish this, debating the merits of which laptop to buy, when we all know it's an easy personal question (hey, which one do I want?) that really requires no external debate -- we are all nerds! So let's stop throwing mud.

2) Waiting for some more Villanova puns, leobowski. Villabrobra was a stretch...

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8613
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby ResolutePear » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:55 am

stinger35 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
leobowski wrote:
stinger35 wrote:TL;DR as well

HOWEVER

I would venture that this is almost a universal fact: Anyone who recommends buying a PC over a Mac, has NEVER owned a mac


I usually go nice on people that are ignorant.. but you're just an asshole.

What the fuck am I reading?! How can you in any way, shape, or form universally recommend an expensive relabeled/reOS'd PC that only 10% of CONSUMERS; 1% of businesses own? Woohoo, look at me I'm freaking trolling on Macs with hard numbers!

Let's name some software that Macs don't have:
Access
OneNote
AutoCAD
Visual Studio
Outlook(Don't give me that Entourage bullshit.)
A decent implementation of Blackberry Contact Sync.

How about games:
Well, you have Snood and Steam/Blizzard.. and because they're forced it run in OpenGL mode, they're half baked on the graphics/speed. Congrats on that front.

How the fuck is that universal? That excludes gamers, people who need MS Exchange, PC programmers(And yes, you can program on Windows for a Mac as the target.), most people who own a Blackberry, IF YOU OWN/RUN A BUSINESS... I need an answer here please. Who's left? And is it enough to be considered universal? What is this "universal" you talk about? Can you give me some numbers the represent it?


Since this is the first thread I have gotten in that doesnt exclusively involve law school, I am amazed at how bad people are flipping out. Obviously, I shouldn't have been so universal. 1) As you can see, in the quoted material, I didn't read the thread, just put in my two cents. 2) How does that make me an ASSHOLE? I mean jesus christ dude. If we were at a bar and I said my macs comment and you flipped out like this...who would be an asshole? But because this is an internet forum, you tech dudes are just tough as shit.

Now, as I've stated, I really don't know shit about computers, don't care, and never will. However, I will address some of your points:

First of all, THE TITLE OF THE THREAD IS: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school. Going off on all these other things is irrelevant to the original question and therefore irrelevant to my post.

Still:
As for who owns them, what does that matter? Thats such an irrelevant statistic. More people own Chevy Cavaliers than Ferrari's, yes one is way more expensive, but does that mean the Cavalier should be recommended? Even if it was two more similarly priced cars, the fact that more people own them really doesn't matter.

Access - okay?
OneNote - In law school, I used Word. If you need more to take law notes, you are probably doing something wrong. Besides, can't you get this for Mac?
AutoCAD - I literally have no idea what this is. While that may make me a "moron," I am guessing that you don't need it for law school, or life in general.
Visual Studio - see AutoCAD
Outlook(Don't give me that Entourage bullshit.) - Who cares? If you need it for an SA position or something, fine, get a job that gives you a laptop or a job that pays you well enough to get a work computer.
A decent implementation of Blackberry Contact Sync. - you'll love this, I am sure: get an iPhone. Having done so in the last month, it makes me want to use my old blackberry as a golf ball.

As for the games, dude, are you serious? Computer games? I literally have no idea what you are talking about, but come on. I hope that the future lawyers of this country aren't sitting around worried about playing computer games. I am guessing this is some kind of world of warcraft or farmville shit. If you really want to waste your time pretending to have friends doing that shit, by all means, go for the PC.

Sorry for making my comment though. I really didn't think it would be so unbelievably offensive.


It is unbelievably offensive, and continues to be.

If we were at a bar, you would be the drunk frat boy that came to our 'nerd' table to jackass around us without even hearing the conversation.

Yep, that makes you an asshole.

The rest:

So.. we need to adopt YOUR values to get a Mac? Sorry, I want to be on my own terms with what I can do with my machine.

I don't want an iPhone. I like my Blackberry.
I don't want to tell employers, "Hey, I'll work but you'll need to pay me more for a PC Laptop." ITE
OneNote is more than a wordpad. Look into it?
As for Access, AutoCAD, and Visual Studio: Welp, you got me there. No need in law school... because law school is totally 24/7 for all 3 years and beyond.

nukelaloosh
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:00 pm

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby nukelaloosh » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:00 am

publiuspublicola wrote:MacBook v Thinkpad Threads FTW.

1) We are on an internet forum (yes, an internet forum) devoted to people competing to see how good a law school they can get into and how high they can score on a standardized exam to accomplish this, debating the merits of which laptop to buy, when we all know it's an easy personal question (hey, which one do I want?) that really requires no external debate -- we are all nerds! So let's stop throwing mud.

2) Waiting for some more Villanova puns, leobowski. Villabrobra was a stretch...


Vanillaova

stinger35
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby stinger35 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:02 am

beach_terror wrote:Your perception of "tech nerds" is pretty funny. I'm 6'4 210 and I was a college athlete. I do not have any acne either, phew! PM me and we can exchange facebooks, broski! Maybe then your personal attacks will have some backing, although I seriously doubt you'll have anything to say after, hombre.

And the real Ferrari of computers would be Falcon-NW probably, definitely not Mac.

PS. You flipped out because I called you a moron, for... well, being a moron. You then dug up my posts and made fun of my law school/tech background/job prospects. Which is hilarious, because you know nothing of my goals or plans for the future. You're just trying to act tough on the internet, something you called me out for doing.

xoxo <3


Well, if you are insinuating that I'm scared of you or something and that's why I wouldn't exchange facebooks, I can assure that's not the case. I also never said you had acne, but sorry for conjuring up some obviously repressed memories. I know high school kids can be mean. As far as "digging up" stuff about you, I clicked profile instead of quote which straight up says "villanova 2013" - that's literally the only thing I saw. The LSAT thing I just assumed by seeing that school.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8613
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby ResolutePear » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:04 am

beach_terror wrote:Your perception of "tech nerds" is pretty funny. I'm 6'4 210 and I was a college athlete. I do not have any acne either, phew! PM me and we can exchange facebooks, broski! Maybe then your personal attacks will have some backing, although I seriously doubt you'll have anything to say after, hombre.

And the real Ferrari of computers would be Falcon-NW probably, definitely not Mac.

PS. You flipped out because I called you a moron, for... well, being a moron. You then dug up my posts and made fun of my law school/tech background/job prospects. Which is hilarious, because you know nothing of my goals or plans for the future. You're just trying to act tough on the internet, something you called me out for doing.

xoxo <3


I'd like to note he totally skipped the other posts written by me. :P

stinger35
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby stinger35 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:07 am

ResolutePear wrote:
It is unbelievably offensive, and continues to be.

If we were at a bar, you would be the drunk frat boy that came to our 'nerd' table to jackass around us without even hearing the conversation.

Yep, that makes you an asshole.

The rest:

So.. we need to adopt YOUR values to get a Mac? Sorry, I want to be on my own terms with what I can do with my machine.

I don't want an iPhone. I like my Blackberry.
I don't want to tell employers, "Hey, I'll work but you'll need to pay me more for a PC Laptop." ITE
OneNote is more than a wordpad. Look into it?
As for Access, AutoCAD, and Visual Studio: Welp, you got me there. No need in law school... because law school is totally 24/7 for all 3 years and beyond.


why is it so offensive?

you are probably right.

I don't consider myself an asshole, but since the font is so big, I am reconsidering that.

and NO YOU DON'T NEED TO ADOPT MY VALUES. I was going with the values of a typical law student. A typical law student doesn't play video games all the time, use Access, AutoCAD, or visual studio, etc. Thats the name of the thread...for law school. Not for life or for professional gamers or people who own their own business.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7638
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby beach_terror » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:07 am

stinger35 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Your perception of "tech nerds" is pretty funny. I'm 6'4 210 and I was a college athlete. I do not have any acne either, phew! PM me and we can exchange facebooks, broski! Maybe then your personal attacks will have some backing, although I seriously doubt you'll have anything to say after, hombre.

And the real Ferrari of computers would be Falcon-NW probably, definitely not Mac.

PS. You flipped out because I called you a moron, for... well, being a moron. You then dug up my posts and made fun of my law school/tech background/job prospects. Which is hilarious, because you know nothing of my goals or plans for the future. You're just trying to act tough on the internet, something you called me out for doing.

xoxo <3


Well, if you are insinuating that I'm scared of you or something and that's why I wouldn't exchange facebooks, I can assure that's not the case. I also never said you had acne, but sorry for conjuring up some obviously repressed memories. I know high school kids can be mean. As far as "digging up" stuff about you, I clicked profile instead of quote which straight up says "villanova 2013" - that's literally the only thing I saw. The LSAT thing I just assumed by seeing that school.


Nope, didn't have acne in high school either. Keep trying, grasping at straws at this point though. I'm going to bed, this was entertaining for awhile, but you're out of amusing material. Goodnight qtpie




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests