Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby 270910 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:41 pm

usuaggie wrote:I don't get why people are saying macs are so much. you can get a macbook for less than $1000 and you don't have to buy anti virus. you can get a macbook for just about $1,1000. they work better. they are built better. they last longer. they have amazing monitors, they are fast, they work the way they are supposed to.


You can get netbooks for < $300 and PC laptops for roughly that amount. For the same price as a mac, you can get far superior components in a PC lap. The build quality edge for mac products is far from convincing. They're nice, and if you're willing to pay for what it is by all means. But for the average computer user there is little tangible benefit.

(Also, if you're not a moron you don't have to buy anti-virus on a PC either. Virus free for half a decade on my PC laptops, never so much as installed an antivirus program)

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby romothesavior » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:04 pm

disco_barred wrote:
usuaggie wrote:I don't get why people are saying macs are so much. you can get a macbook for less than $1000 and you don't have to buy anti virus. you can get a macbook for just about $1,1000. they work better. they are built better. they last longer. they have amazing monitors, they are fast, they work the way they are supposed to.


You can get netbooks for < $300 and PC laptops for roughly that amount. For the same price as a mac, you can get far superior components in a PC lap. The build quality edge for mac products is far from convincing. They're nice, and if you're willing to pay for what it is by all means. But for the average computer user there is little tangible benefit.

(Also, if you're not a moron you don't have to buy anti-virus on a PC either. Virus free for half a decade on my PC laptops, never so much as installed an antivirus program)


So what you're saying is that you fap the old-fashioned way?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby bk1 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:10 pm

usuaggie wrote:I don't get why people are saying macs are so much. you can get a macbook for less than $1000 and you don't have to buy anti virus. you can get a macbook for just about $1,1000. they work better. they are built better. they last longer. they have amazing monitors, they are fast, they work the way they are supposed to. Macs are idiot-proof and I am an idiot, thus using a PC is beyond me.


FTFY. ;)

But in all seriousness, Macs are more expensive and not any better than a Windows machine. Windows gives the user more freedom, this freedom comes with the caveat that if you do stupid shit your computer will get fucked up. That being said, if you prefer OSX and don't mind the price tag, get a Mac. If you prefer Windows or want something cheaper, get a Windows machine.

/thread

User avatar
SamSeaborn2016
Posts: 412
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:07 pm

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby SamSeaborn2016 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:32 pm

I'm getting a macbook but mostly because I am getting about $700 trade-in on some old mac computers so it will only cost me about $300. Plus my school is 100% mac compatable.

The truth is for taking notes, surfing the web and taking law school exams, pretty much any laptop will work. If you have other needs like gaming, find something that works for your specific needs.

User avatar
Thomas Jefferson
Posts: 385
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:08 pm

stinger35 wrote:TL;DR as well

HOWEVER

I would venture that this is almost a universal fact: Anyone who recommends buying a PC over a Mac, has NEVER owned a mac


Because they're smart enough not to waste their money.

I've never been to war, but I'm smart enough to realize it's probably not the most prudent thing for my safety. Nor is a mac the most prudent thing for one's wallet.

stinger35
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby stinger35 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:22 pm

Thomas Jefferson wrote:
stinger35 wrote:TL;DR as well

HOWEVER

I would venture that this is almost a universal fact: Anyone who recommends buying a PC over a Mac, has NEVER owned a mac


Because they're smart enough not to waste their money.

I've never been to war, but I'm smart enough to realize it's probably not the most prudent thing for my safety. Nor is a mac the most prudent thing for one's wallet.


While I'm rather fond of analogies, I'm not so sure about this one. First of all, it makes it sound like your choices are going to war or staying at home on your couch. Since the person is buying a computer anyways, they would at least be going to some sort of "lesser" battle, in your analogy. Also, it goes both ways. Its rather easy for me to say its a much better decision to purchase an ugly hooker that's cheap than a more expensive one that isn't - not only are you unaware of the difference, but you ignore some of the most important aspects of the transaction. I could continue, but I think you get the point

stinger35
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby stinger35 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:27 pm

bk1 wrote:
usuaggie wrote:I don't get why people are saying macs are so much. you can get a macbook for less than $1000 and you don't have to buy anti virus. you can get a macbook for just about $1,1000. they work better. they are built better. they last longer. they have amazing monitors, they are fast, they work the way they are supposed to. Macs are idiot-proof and I am an idiot, thus using a PC is beyond me.


FTFY. ;)

But in all seriousness, Macs are more expensive and not any better than a Windows machine. Windows gives the user more freedom, this freedom comes with the caveat that if you do stupid shit your computer will get fucked up. That being said, if you prefer OSX and don't mind the price tag, get a Mac. If you prefer Windows or want something cheaper, get a Windows machine.

/thread


I don't know enough about computers to argue against this. I use my computer for Internet, Word/Office, Itunes/Music, Pictures, Exams, and a few other general things. For people who are extremely into computers or just extremely nerdy, there may be limitations that exist on a mac that I simply am unaware of. However, macs work. I haven't got a single virus on here in years nor has the computer even slowed down. More importantly, it is incredibly user friendly. PC's might be catching up, I have no idea, but little things like Expose make my experience on a mac so much better. Expose alone makes it extremely frustrating to even use a PC. Using two fingers to scroll, expanding and contracting windows, etc. etc. These are simple features that seem idiotic not to have and an integral part of my decision never to go back to a PC.

User avatar
Thomas Jefferson
Posts: 385
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:35 pm

stinger35 wrote:
Thomas Jefferson wrote:
stinger35 wrote:TL;DR as well

HOWEVER

I would venture that this is almost a universal fact: Anyone who recommends buying a PC over a Mac, has NEVER owned a mac


Because they're smart enough not to waste their money.

I've never been to war, but I'm smart enough to realize it's probably not the most prudent thing for my safety. Nor is a mac the most prudent thing for one's wallet.


While I'm rather fond of analogies, I'm not so sure about this one. First of all, it makes it sound like your choices are going to war or staying at home on your couch. Since the person is buying a computer anyways, they would at least be going to some sort of "lesser" battle, in your analogy. Also, it goes both ways. Its rather easy for me to say its a much better decision to purchase an ugly hooker that's cheap than a more expensive one that isn't - not only are you unaware of the difference, but you ignore some of the most important aspects of the transaction. I could continue, but I think you get the point


While no analogy is perfect, including the one I used, unless I am misreading your post, you make it seem like Macs are of higher quality. Sure a Mac will out perform a $250 netbook. But you can get a PC that has the same specs as a Mac, other than the OS, for a few hundred dollars cheaper. It's not ugly and cheap vs. nice and expensive. It's overpriced and nice vs. decent deal and nice. For example, if you go into the Men's Suits Thread and brag about how awesome the $500 suit you paid $800 for is, you'll probably be laughed at, but the person who paid $300 for a suit of the same quality will be congratulated.

stinger35
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby stinger35 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:44 pm

Ok, this is the last thing I'll say: they might have the same "specs," just like the hookers would, they do not have the same features.

User avatar
Thomas Jefferson
Posts: 385
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:47 pm

stinger35 wrote:Ok, this is the last thing I'll say: they might have the same "specs," just like the hookers would, they do not have the same features.


Are you seriously implying that Mac OS is worth hundreds of dollars more than a Windows OS?

User avatar
publiuspublicola
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:27 pm

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby publiuspublicola » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:53 pm

Been a Mac user for about 7 years. Decided on this a few days ago, however:

http://outlet.lenovo.com/287LRPZM77.html

TITCR.

User avatar
Chris_cpb
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:03 pm

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby Chris_cpb » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:59 pm

I've personally never gotten into Mac or Lenovo notebooks although I've heard EXCELLENT things about both of these brands. The only advice I can give is to not, under ANY circumstances, buy this computer:

--LinkRemoved--

Yes, this is my laptop. I do, however, promote the Dell Latitude, particularily the E6400 which I want to trade for, a very reliable notebook (for a dell) and it won't overheat like the one I flipflipflipflipping am selling.
Last edited by Chris_cpb on Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7250
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby beach_terror » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:00 pm

Thomas Jefferson wrote:
stinger35 wrote:Ok, this is the last thing I'll say: they might have the same "specs," just like the hookers would, they do not have the same features.


Are you seriously implying that Mac OS is worth hundreds of dollars more than a Windows OS?


Sometimes you just gotta let the morons be morons. Although I'm surprised this guy has the money for a Mac. He probably lost a good bit of money to those Nigerian princes that sent out those crafty emails.

I'm pretty sure he based his opinion of touchpad functionality, lol. Windows machines have touchpads that respond to multitap and various finger movements as well. However, a mouse > all.

Also, you said you don't know much about computers. So do everyone a favor and leave it to the people who do know a lot. I don't mind arguing with a Mac hipster that knows what he's talking about, but those that can't tell a stick of ram from a videocard need to be quiet.

User avatar
camstant
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:59 am

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby camstant » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:11 pm

Got the 14" Thinkpad T410i. Student discount got it down to around 750-800 and i got the 3 year warranty. Total cost with tax and was like 920 or so. [url]outlet.lenovo.com[/url] is worth checking out also

I don't know a whole lot about the differences since it became Lenovo, but supposedly slightly less durable than they used to be. While slightly less durable than their IBM counterpart, the Lenovo Thinkpads still have some of those unique qualities that make them exceptionally durable, which was a big reason as to why i got it. They are lighter than they used to be though...

Reasons I went with the Thinkpad:
1. Durability, as I just mentioned. You can just feel a significant difference in quality compared with other PC's, imo.
2. The keyboard is extremely comfortable and responsive. I know Mac people will argue their chiclets into the ground, but I really dont think there is a better laptop keyboard. Considering the number of hours you will be typing away on it, I think this is a big thing to take into account.
3. Affordability vs. Mac.... duh. (This would be the deal-breaker for me, but you clearly need more convincing :) )
4. Affordability vs. Other PC's. Upfront, they are more expensive than say a Dell. But to get the 3yr warranty and Win7 Pro, the upgrade costs are significantly less, making it the true better deal. Customer service is good too. What's a warranty if they aren't going to fix it?
5. Not a bunch of bogus software. Compared to other PC's the difference is significant. Compared to Mac's not quite as much so, but Garage Band? :roll:

shutterbug
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:17 am

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby shutterbug » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:18 pm

tintin wrote:mac no question

stinger35
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby stinger35 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:40 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Thomas Jefferson wrote:
stinger35 wrote:Ok, this is the last thing I'll say: they might have the same "specs," just like the hookers would, they do not have the same features.


Are you seriously implying that Mac OS is worth hundreds of dollars more than a Windows OS?


Sometimes you just gotta let the morons be morons. Although I'm surprised this guy has the money for a Mac. He probably lost a good bit of money to those Nigerian princes that sent out those crafty emails.

I'm pretty sure he based his opinion of touchpad functionality, lol. Windows machines have touchpads that respond to multitap and various finger movements as well. However, a mouse > all.

Also, you said you don't know much about computers. So do everyone a favor and leave it to the people who do know a lot. I don't mind arguing with a Mac hipster that knows what he's talking about, but those that can't tell a stick of ram from a videocard need to be quiet.


I mean, this thread is opinions, about computers. But leave it to some computer nerd to make it personal. I hate to break it to you, but no amount of computer skills are going to be able to get you a job from Villanova.

User avatar
caleng
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:58 pm

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby caleng » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:42 pm

I had a MacBook all throughout undergrad and absolutely loved it. Macs just feel better to some people, and those people are willing to pay the extra money for that.

That said, I'm getting a Lenovo ThinkPad for law school. When it comes to durability and performance, the ThinkPad is the gold standard. I understand the Mac love, and if I luck out and end up with a high paying job, maybe I'll switch back. Until then, I'm going with the more economical solution. With the educational discount and 10% off the Edge or T series (through tomorrow, coupon code USX10TEDGE at lenovo.com), you can get a great Lenovo for under $1,000. That's with an Intel Core i5 processor, 4GB memory, and 500GB hard drive. The 13" MacBook Pro is comparable in price, but it has a Core 2 Duo processor and a smaller hard drive. To get an i5, you need a 15" MBP, and another $600.

If money is no issue to you- you're lucky, go with whatever you want. Either computer will be sufficient for law school. I'm buying a ThinkPad.

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby General Tso » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:43 pm

stinger35 wrote:I mean, this thread is opinions, about computers. But leave it to some computer nerd to make it personal. I hate to break it to you, but no amount of computer skills are going to be able to get you a job from Villanova.


unnecessary, unfunny, untrue

stinger35
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby stinger35 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:45 pm

General Tso wrote:
stinger35 wrote:I mean, this thread is opinions, about computers. But leave it to some computer nerd to make it personal. I hate to break it to you, but no amount of computer skills are going to be able to get you a job from Villanova.


unnecessary, unfunny, untrue


And his post was...? necessary, funny, and true?

User avatar
presh
Posts: 8011
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:00 am

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby presh » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:49 pm

.
Last edited by presh on Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby General Tso » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:50 pm

stinger35 wrote:
General Tso wrote:
stinger35 wrote:I mean, this thread is opinions, about computers. But leave it to some computer nerd to make it personal. I hate to break it to you, but no amount of computer skills are going to be able to get you a job from Villanova.


unnecessary, unfunny, untrue


And his post was...? necessary, funny, and true?


No...none of those. I am criticizing you for disparaging his law school.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7250
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby beach_terror » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:52 pm

lol, not even worth a response.

User avatar
leobowski
Posts: 511
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:11 am

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby leobowski » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:53 pm

stinger35 wrote:TL;DR as well

HOWEVER

I would venture that this is almost a universal fact: Anyone who recommends buying a PC over a Mac, has NEVER owned a mac



Wrong. I've used/owned both and a prefer a machine that doesn't have a UI designed for the mentally handicapped.

Image


And don't give me the reliability horseshit. You can get a better equipped and more reliable Lenovo or Asus for a fraction of the price.

d34d9823
Posts: 1915
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby d34d9823 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:02 am

I'm a Windows geek, but I'm thinking about a Mac for LS just because of the *ooh, shiny* factor. Everytime I try to think of concrete reasons for a reasonable Windows laptop, I just think *ooh, shiny*.

stinger35
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: Thinkpad v. Mac for law school

Postby stinger35 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:05 am

General Tso wrote:
stinger35 wrote:
General Tso wrote:
stinger35 wrote:I mean, this thread is opinions, about computers. But leave it to some computer nerd to make it personal. I hate to break it to you, but no amount of computer skills are going to be able to get you a job from Villanova.


unnecessary, unfunny, untrue


And his post was...? necessary, funny, and true?


No...none of those. I am criticizing you for disparaging his law school.


Since when is it acceptable to disparage a person but not a law school?

Look, if you went and looked at 99% of my posts, they are respectful, and usually dealing with normal law school questions. But when people are just expressing opinions (basically everyone on here has sworn one way or the other) and then you have some dude just calling me a moron, I'm going to retaliate. Considering I know absolutely nothing about this kid but can easily see what law school he will go to and what I will, it was an easy response.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media, splitterfromhell and 11 guests